[Custom dungeon] Escape! - I [RTC] [Mon Ful Ir]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

I had to waste a TON of food since I used only the 1 character, I didn't have nearly enough room for all of it lol.

Trail of ZoKathRa's will do the trick for you eventually, you can only go one way through that 'maze of haze'... see what I did there? So it's just trial and error and start from the beginning each time.
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

Phew! I finished it. It got really sticky towards the end, with my party starving, unable to rest and regain mana and a handful of stronger monsters to fight. I had to run back up the where the worms were a couple of times in the hope that they had regenerated. In the end I managed to eat just enough to let my party gain the strength and speed for the last few encounters.

That's the first custom dungeon I've played through and I was really impressed. I too hope Mon Ful Ir makes more of them :)

I couldn't figure out the obiesance item either :?
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Sabreman wrote:I couldn't figure out the obiesance item either :?
Good! Glad it wasn't just me :P. The only thing I could think of was if one of the female characters were wearing a skirt, because if I'm not mistaken obeisance is something to do with curtsy, like a tip of the hat, or short lift of the skirt as you take a step back kinda thing. Could be completely wrong though!
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

That was my line of thought on it too... some kind of tribute or act of respect in front of the alcove. Wracked my brains to think of what it could be though. I didn't think George had put in a 'duck' action just yet :lol:

I liked the river one... What do rivers have...? Hmm, banks, bends, rapids, de- Aah! :D

EDIT: Wait a minute!

Bow?

Bow?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Ha, I got that one like instantly. :P
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Oh it isn't...

That's poor. I'm ashamed of myself lol.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hah, I had a similar one once that said 'bow down' beside a dragon :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Never finished this, so out of interest played it again today. In the early levels I do liek the small spaces opening out and the occasional opening back up to previous areas. The generators going behind your back are a bit annoying to start with for trolins though.

I didn't have the energy to solve the pit puzzle properly, but seemed fun, did map out the haze, easy if you take the time to figure the route out.

Found the bureua exchange idea fun, but then felt cheated by how easy high denomination coins were to get at the end. Also, I think for DM veterans the final monsters aren't that tricky

Fun enough dungeon, i liked small aspects liek the gaining items for clubs/rust and the regenerating your armour.
DraconicMajesty
Apprentice

Post by DraconicMajesty »

I wasn't expecting the rust monsters to ACTUALLY do their rust attack, so that's a definite tick in the "Plus" column. Haven't quite worked out the "Hall of Flame" yet, but I'll get there eventually (I hope).

So far, I'm enjoying it. Good work!
Beat: DM, CSB, EOB, EOB2, EOB3, Black Crypt, Captive, Hired Guns...
...show-off.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The rust monster thing is an addition of RTC and appears in DM aswell
DraconicMajesty
Apprentice

Got "Hall Of Flame", then ploughed ahead until the blue haze area, where I had to take some time to mark my progress. In the end, I had ZO KATH RAs marking the "dead ends", and Screamer slices marking the clear squares. At present, I have tons of food, as I pay frequent visits to the start level, and fill up on nutritious Screamer.

Looks like the "river" and "obiesance" bit is a bit of a bottle-neck - I wouldn't have gotten the first, and I still don't get the latter...

STILL a great little dungeon, though.
...show-off.
DraconicMajesty
Apprentice

Finished!

Verdict: a very nice little dungeon! Good work overall, with a generous difficulty curve. Highly recommended!
...show-off.
RicochetRita
Novice

Escaped!

Post by RicochetRita »

I just finished this one today. The time at the end showed 19 Hours & change, but this of course doesn't include the bits that I didn't save, while exploring & figuring out puzzles.

I took only three characters through & spent a LOT of time training on the screamers, before their initial descent. I think everybody had Artisan across the board when I finally started down the stairs.

Later after purchasing the axe, I brought them back & trained everyone up to Expert, mainly to see what its third attack would be. The Creature Totals at the end showed 1796/1796 Screamers killed! :lol: This was probably overkill. The only real challenge was melee againts the Stone Golems (good thing they were one at a time!)

The Armor Repair station surprised me: I expected it to work more than once. At one point I let the rust monsters do their thing to everyone's armor, in an attempt to gain more coins. Good thing I saved first... :roll:

Similarly with the Club Disposal room: where's the incentive to keep things tidy. when it runs out of carrots? I had a accumulated BIG pile of clubs, when it ran out.

The door by the ex-Slime Devil behind three pits had me for the longest time. I thought I had to defeat the Swamp Slime on the other side to open it. But it wouldn't stick around long enough. Used a fair amount of poison clouds in vain on that one, before it finally died. Then I thought that maybe it had something to do with crossing those pits. So I solved the previous room's lever puzzles a second time, in order to "un-press" the center buttons. No such luck! :roll: This was definitely time spent 'off the clock!'

Waltzed through the Haze Maze, which was actually pretty simple, once I'd worked out what it was doing: I just dropped screamer slices in every haze that we entered (or, more often, arrived in). After a bit the teleporting ones were empty & the safe ones contained slices. Then I went back & played Connect the Dots to make a path from the start to the end. I also determined that all of the teleporters drop you onto the same square & found the chest in the maze's hidden area. I was able to map the whole thing out, except for the unreachable bit in the "outside" corner.

One thing that puzzled me was why the Gold Key on the final level didn't disapear when used? Was this a bug or just a trick, since there was still one more (albeit, non-Gold) Lock remaining?

This was a fun dungeon! The food/training room at the top & the connected up/dn staircases at each level's end were especially nice touches. Please make more!

-R³
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I liked it too.

Unfortunately Mon Ful Ir just up and vanished some time ago (hope he's ok!)-- so I don't know about the odds of another one. :(
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

Gosh, it's been ages since I checked here. ;)

I'm glad this seems to have been well-received! Now I'm minded to make another. There are some nice features in v0.45 that I'd like to take advantage of...

Nobody liked the Giggler Gas Chamber? :( That was my favourite bit of this!
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

:!:

Yay!
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

I got an email about this mini-dungeon out of the blue this morning, from someone in France who was stuck on "delta". So I answered his question and then went hunting for the file again.

In the intervening year, I've lost the source-code, and I was worried the compiled version wouldn't play in v0.45. So I downloaded it again from the one site that still works:

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=view/CustomDungeons

I tested it fairly thoroughly and I can confirm that in RTC v0.45, the file from that site does still work as I intended. :) The dungeon can be completed.

There are two minor glitches--first, a lever appears over a piece of wall-text (the one about "Manxome Foes"), but the lever is operable and the wall-text can be read; and second, in a couple of places you hear a worm-roar noise instead of the sound I intended.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

I'm playing this one today (thanks to MonFulIr for remembering it to us because of his upcoming dungeon).
Lee wrote:I didn't do the 'Make My Obeisance' puzzle (did the river one)
Stuck here. I'm definitely not good at riddles. I've tried anything I could find :?
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

Spoilers:

You don't need to do that riddle to complete the dungeon.

If you still feel you need to work it out, read this thread carefully.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

thanks for quick help !
i found the obeisance item : not that easy to find for a non-english talking person. btw, that's really a problem with all riddles. dungeon designers, please think about that !
the river one was easier, when i read the 2nd page of this thread... this riddle doesn't seem to work good for french players :P
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

finished !
  • gameplay = 9
    smooth DM progression, you don't need to train at any time and that's really a good point. i finished the game with 2 characters (artisan/crafstman fighters, novice ninjas, crafstman priest and journeyman wizard)
  • originality = 6
    well, gas chambers : this is original but not funny imho.
  • difficulty = 5
    monsters are very easy to kill, i died a few times but that was mostly suicide to be able to reload a game.
  • puzzles = 9
    very clever ones and they force you to find tricks to complete them (levers, hazes labyrinth). well, this is not a 10 because i don't like the "put the correct object into the alcove" ones.
  • size = small, obviously :)
  • replayability = none
  • craft = 7
    good design for a first dungeon, like the stairs connections, bureau de change, etc. can't wait for the second opus !
  • game ending = 6
    well, the final boss was not that tough ;)
  • atmosphere = 5
    no more, no less, this is DM.
  • overall = 7
    it's mini, but it's fun, and that's the most important :)
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

Yeah, I agree with that assessment. :) Escape 1's a fun enough dungeon but the fixes in Escape 2 will improve it considerably.

Combien de francophones ici? S'il y en a beaucoup, j'essayerai faire un dungeon en francais.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

de mon coté, je compte bien faire une VF de Forest of Doom en tout cas :)
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

I'm french, and against the idea of a french dungeon. The community is small enough already that we don't need to fracture it further.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I would try to play a french dungeon, kind of improving my french with it.
What if the dungeon already existed in an english version? Does it then hurt if it`s french then? In this case, I believe it even broadens the range of people able to play it. hmm
But the energy of the designer should probably go into another english dungeon then, not in a french copy of an existing one?!

A dungeon designer could always put some french into the english custom
dungeon, like item names or such things.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I think the amount of hassle for the designer depends on the engine, too.

In DSB, the strings could be stored all in one place, in Lua variables, and making another language version would be as simple as changing these variables. :D

And no, this wasn't intended to be as blatant of a plug as it turned out to be. ;)
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

The difficulty depends on our hypothetical designer's fluency in French. :P If he or she's reasonably competent in the language, and as familiar with the dungeon as he or she ought to be, then a conversion shouldn't be all that difficult.

Unfortunately I'm less than "reasonably competent" at French. ;) So I'm reluctant to do the conversion unless there's a reasonably substantial French-speaking community who'd benefit.
napoleonsdad
Neophyte

Post by napoleonsdad »

Help me please, Im stuck. This is in Escape v0.1 (so it says upon entering the dungeon) if that helps.

I'm on the 3rd level just past the black flames. There's a dust to dust riddle (I got this one) and just past the door you chop through you get to kill a coutil. There are 2 invisible pits just inside the area. How does one get past the pits? The blue teleporter takes you back to just before the area. Maybe it's simple (wouldn't be the first time something simple has stumped me). If you have an answer or hint please either post or PM me.

Thanks
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I can't remember, but perhaps check for illsuionary walls to bypass it or hiding switches. Also perhaps throw items over the pit, that sometimes helps :D
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

Look for a switch nearby.