Crysis

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
mikko
Craftsman

Crysis

Post by mikko »

I just finished Crysis demo for the first time and I can't wait to get my hands on the real thing. It totally blew my mind. :shock:

The visuals are absolutely stunning :shock: and gameplay appears very solid too. Those good old binoculars are back and the different suit modes really spice the game up. 8) I think that if you liked Far Cry, you're going to love Crysis. Of course it's a lover that will demand a pretty beefy computer. :oops: If you've got one and are into shooters then give it a go. It's only 1.77 GB.. :wink:
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

I was pretty impressed with it too. What really got me excited was the way that buildings are made up from indiviual pieces, meaning you can drive vehicles into them and they'll collapse. Not sure if it's going to be an updated Far Cry, apart from the suit tricks and small gameplay changes, it to me seems that way.

By the way, have you seen how to get the Very High(read DX10) settings running in DX9 / Windows XP. It's just a simple copy/paste in notepad and it activates the higher graphical settings. Granted DX9 can't do the geometry shading but it can do more or less everything else that is in the Very High settings (increased draw distance, parallax mapping mullarkey etc.) there's absolutely no reason why the option is greyed out on XP.

Also, you can get a modified version of the map with all the weapons / vehicles in the game for use in the demo. Not tried it myself as I don't want to spoil the game but seems pretty fun if you want to give it a go!

Check out the three articles below:

The DirectX 10 Cri/ysis - Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Crysis Crisis Deepens - Rock, Paper, Shotgun (All weapons and vehicles in demo)
How to: Completely Ruin Crysis For Yourself - Rock, Paper, Shotgun (Game plot exposed in game files!)
mikko
Craftsman

Post by mikko »

Yes, I knew about getting the very high settings in use, but I didn't try it until yesterday. Looks even better, of course, but it also introduced some lag. Best thing would probably be to tweak the individual parameter values and find a good compromise. I do hope that the finished product doesn't try to hide the configuration files just that MS can sell more copies of Vista. It's always good to have means to tweak things that aren't visible in the game options.

The game will probably be pretty similar to Far Cry, but that doesn't bother me since I really enjoyed it. The destructible buildings are nice, but I also like the fact that they are full of all kind of junk. Everything has physics and can be picked up and thrown. The destructible trees are also very cool and the water is by far the best that I've seen in any game.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

The detail settings defaults pretty low on my system, and admittedly the game looked like crap, possibly even worse than Far Cry. Game play was pretty fun, though it'll take some getting used to the crippling energy limit. For giggles, I jacked the detail settings all the way up to see how it should look. Was quite beautiful for a slide show. I'm afraid I just don't have the resources to upgrade for this game, but it's nice to know I can run it at all . . . especially since Hellgate: London is a massive disappointment.