DSB can do that!

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Remy
Craftsman

DSB can do that!

Post by Remy »

So, after a very long night, I decided to take a peek at all the new rendering code that Sophia has lua-ized. While poking through the files, I realized something that I should have realized awhile ago.
Anyway, after about an hour of playing with bitmaps and writing some code, I came up with what is perhaps the worst translation of Pong! ever, but it's entirely done with Lua in DSB, so it's a very ugly proof test that DSB really can do alot more than just dungeon crawling.

DSB Pong
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

:D
That should convince everyone...
For those who might ask, other mini-games are in the making ;)
What Is Your Quest ?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

So, basically, you're using the modern enhancements of a clone of a 20 year old game in order to create a graphically enhanced clone of a 30 year old game.

:shock: :lol:

Nice work though! :)
Remy
Craftsman

Post by Remy »

So, basically, you're using the modern enhancements of a clone of a 20 year old game in order to create a graphically enhanced clone of a 30 year old game.
Yep! :D

I knew I should have included the mummy and screamer cheerleaders...
"Rawr! Rawr! Rawr!" "Scree! Scree! Scree!"
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Hehe, and this was useful for another purpose: it finally exposed a bug in my sound channel management code that, based on the age of the bug report that it finally addressed, must have been in there for a very long time!
Remy
Craftsman

Post by Remy »

Whew. I thought that sound error was something I was doing wrong...
By the way, this is completely off-topic, but in the forum sticky about the dsb_* functions, dsb_stopsound is mistyped as dsb_soundstop (the only reason I mention it now is that it was one of the ways I tried to fix the problem).
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Sophia wrote:So, basically, you're using the modern enhancements of a clone of a 20 year old game in order to create a graphically enhanced clone of a 30 year old game.
My head a splode.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Ahah ! I knew the sound problem I had was a bug !
(almost every sound was followed by a low buzz,
like when... well, the sound bugs...)
What Is Your Quest ?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Hmm, the problem that I was having (and fixed) was that the sound would cut out after a few minutes, especially when a lot of sounds had been played. (It was a easier to reproduce in the pong game because it played the same sounds a lot more often)

I'm not sure if that has anything to do with a buzzing!