Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

From what I recall it was changed so that when you entered smaug's lair the way you walked down was sealed off.

I think you had to use his sapphire key or some other special key from the fight with him on the keyhole - whether that was in an alcove or on his body, I cannot remember

It might be a bug, but if so it would be with the newest version.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Cheers for the fast reply!

Hmmm i got two gold keys a sapphire key and a bunch of gems and coins but none of them work on the key hole or any of the other wall decorations in the room. Neither do the bones, piece of dragon armour, rust, ashes, rock, boulder or the sword. The door seems equally impenetrable, chopping or blowing it up doesn't seem to work.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

You need a ruby key which can be found in the room without the fire elementals. Look inside an alcove in that room.
Edit: Oops, sorry. I misread your inability to enter that room.
Last edited by Christopher on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Christopher wrote:There isn't a point to it but why not? Place them over monster generators and enjoy. I can walk through the dwarven crypt all I want with a powergem and not trigger anything. I certainly can't imagine other people doing this. It's just one of the many things I enjoy about Conflux, so I'm going to utilise it. I've already played the game destroying nearly everything that's possible. Now I'm trying other stuff in my new game while finding out monster types based on the Tab/Statistics.
OK, now that's smart. I'm blown away. I have to figure out where those are in the sewers for the thieves and gigglers. And then block them. FOREVER!

And Paul, it's your program and all, so I don't presume to tell you how it works, but I seem to recall an old Conflux thread where you mentioned you capped the queues so that monsters could not accumulate in there in nearly infinite numbers. Or maybe I'm thining of something else entirely?

As for Smaug's cave, if I recall properly, the key you need to exit is behind the door that will open if you stand in front of it while carrying or wearing the dragon armor piece (as proof you have killed Smaug.) I hope this helps.
Last edited by Parallax on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Argh, it's a bug, the door should open but it won't. Send me your savegame.
(bprieu
at
yahoo
com)

for the other players: you'll have to bring along a ruby key before entering Smaug's lair in this current version.

Paul, I think capping the queue, prioritizing unique or carrying monsters as CSBwin does now is okay. Or do you think it's not enough?
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

If you decide to follow my path of planting trees, the best renewable places (plant them, leave, come back much later and pick up several berries) are the path through the White Chambers (be sure to exit down the stairs or you'll turn off the poison shooters), both squares at the Fireworks on the mines level, and the first square you can reach thats on the path the slaves follow at the free the slaves area. Also consider some of the prison rooms if you find yourself getting sent to prison often. If you have Mophus, his ending is another great place. I have yet to try the Sundrier but I'm sure that's another good place as well (a little out of the way though).
I can attack the Grey Lord that calls an intruder alarm without triggering a mass army of Vexirks from the barracks. One of several minor advantages to my technique.
Another good place is the level of Moria above where the Balrog gets summoned at. Place them anywhere all over that level. The level doesn't seem to be able to accomodate that creature type so as soon as they grow they are instantly destroyed.
Last edited by Christopher on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

I reloaded and got to Smaug the back way which fixed the problem, points are still not being recorded for the dragon armour he carries. I had to use my first keys though : (, master and ruby, rare birds. I was also wondering what the open door spell is? I haven't found it anywhere and i haven't tried going through all the combinations yet. I'm also having trouble finding a compass which is really holding my guy back.

I finished mapping moria and the cool places below it finally, thank god for CSBuild, the perfect map maker.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Both I believe are found in the very top of the dungeon, you must have avoided the moister area

The compass might also be somewhere in the sewer not sure
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Zyx wrote: Paul, I think capping the queue, prioritizing unique or carrying monsters as CSBwin does now is okay. Or do you think it's not enough?
I did not remember doing that at all!!! Even after
you reminded me I could not find the code that
did it. I had to make a little dungeon to
demonstrate that it actually worked. Then I
had to use the debugger to step through the
code to find where I had implemented those
limits.

I agree that this should be sufficient. And the
savegame I received has a lot of queued
monsters, but not an excessive number. So
all is well.
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

As far as I know, the extra ruby key is redundant. Either that or the door it opens can be bypassed or opened without it. I am not 100% sure, though. The Moria is entirely self-contained, in that you could get there completely naked and find every item that you need to solve all riddles and puzzles within it there.
I did not realize there was any place in the game that rquired a master key besides Draco. The open door spell is DES GOR DAIN, I think. A compass can be found on the top floor, but it's kind of complicated. Considering how advanced you seem to be, you're probably better-off purchasing one in the supply room on the Emerald level. There are none in the sewers that I know of.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

Try answering some of the riddles on the spider level for a compass also. Best place though is mentioned in Parallax's post, and the earliest place is mentioned in Beowuuf's post.

About the weapons only alcove, I believe it is for making a weapon into a golem slaying weapon. I used it on the funereal axe and got a 42 off of one chop to a stone golem before I accidently cast zo and cursed it. Now I use the rapier instead. The fast attack speed seems to be a bug. The beholders do a special attack that has text saying your movements have been slowed down when in fact, they speed your attacks up instead. I was at Gothmogs ending where there are more beholders and saw the text which I recognized from my other save that has a fast attack rate. As soon as the text came about, my funereal rapier and vampiric vorpal blade (the only weapons I use for Gothmog's ending) increased in attack speed.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

Feel kind of dumb asking this since I've beaten it before but oh well. How do you get the gem in the Air path in Mophus's ending? I have killed countless munchers and zytaz(s) and have not come across the gem. There seems to be an invisible monster there that I don't remeber from before (my guess is it's got the gem), however, with all the teleporters and monter AI, I rarely run into it, and when I do I'm lucky to get a hit off of it. I've had no luck teleporting into it either. I thought the Rives in the beginning would have dropped the gem but they didn't. What's the deal here?
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Cool cheers, i found the compass and the spell scroll on the top floor, had missed a tiny switch. I'm getting a lot more trouble with the spells fizzing and dieing for periods before coming back, it doesn't affect ZO (whatever that does) and FUL. Also i think if you kill a thief just as it attacks and steals, the item it steals can disapear.

All those tributes on the spider level are riddles? Wow i've got a lot of work to do there.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Another bug I'm afraid *the sizzling spell), I forget if the latest bug fix version corrected it, I think zyx can manually correct a saved game
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Christopher: The rives do drop it.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

Well darn it. I had done that place twice before and killed the rives both times and they didn't drop the gem. Now I have to reload a real early game. I'll check one last time throughout the area though. With my luck it'll be under an egg.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

If you still can't find it, send me a savegame, I'll check if it's a bug.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

In the golem room right before Xanathar, how do you close the pit that the one golem is trapped behind? I've tried putting clubs in all the alcoves, I've thrown items across the pit, and I've even killed the golem. Is there a way to close that pit? There's some stuff in the alcove across from it that I'd like to get.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Hi Zyx, would you be able to fix the spell bug if i sent you my save game? And the powergem giggler maze bug? It would be much appreciated!
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I would, but I cannot upload anything currently. I should be able to do it within 10 days.
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

Hi, my first post here. Just wanted to say that CF3 is absolutely awesome!!! as good as if not better than DM and CSB :D

need some ideas:
Black pudding / 'did you hear something' - how do i get to the items over the pit (behind the doors)?
What does the black flame grate in the middle of the room do when in the Altar of Nightmares with Chaos and the Zytazs?
Small scorpion room with the 4 levers and pillar in centre (and stairs up and stairs down) - what do the levers do?
Imprisoned giggler "hey you let me out!" - i chopped the door for him but all he does is stand in front of the golden door, or move next to pit then back again.
In the crypt (I think) in the main room with the big pillars next to Vecna and the poison bolts flying through - what do the pressure plates do, other than spawn monsters?
...and what's with Thrice Reborn? i just grabbed the staff and leg plate from the alcove.
Defending the town from the orcs/knights/minotaurs - do i just need to kill everything that moves?
Why is one of the water skins rubbish (only replenish about 1% water with each gulp) is it cursed or something?

sorry about all the questions - ive been storing them up until i registered on here! ive got a LOOOONGGG way to go - only got about 10 points and been playing for ages :( i have a party of 3 - Leif, Gando, Daroou. i seem to be repelling undead creatures too - skeletons, mummies, etc. seem to want to run away from me!?!? is it because of a necklace im wearing?
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

Black Pudding area: Use some magic skills, ninja skills and fighter skills.
I believe the altar of nightmares pad you refer to toggles a Zytaz generator.
One of the levers in the scorpion level opens the gate, maybe you should place them all in the start position and work from there.
You need Iaido to trigger a special event with the imprisoned giggler. Otherwise, you can kill it and open the door with a Sar key (well worth it)
I believe the thrice reborn is a typo on Zyx's part since the skeletons seem to only be reborn once.
The pressure pads throughout the crypt level mostly trigger monster generators or false walls.
There is one creature in paticular (unique looking) that needs to be killed in the Altar of assault. I don't think the others have to be killed.
If you have a fair priest level, then examining the waterskin will show you that it is indeed cursed (good idea to check various items you come across to see if they are cursed). Take it with you to the Altar of Assault to uncurse it if you want (if you have not yet defeated it).
I have never witnessed the undead retreating unless it was confused, trying to flank the party, or had some of its group killed. Could be the necklaces though.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums!

Black pudding - Have you tried to get through the gem locked door further down? MIPS - Yeah, it's a similar idea of The Vault in DM, MIPS stands for might, influence, precision, strength I believe

It's been a while, but I thought the motto says thrice born? So once normally, once as undead, and if you kill them, again as undead. I guessa typo otherwise.

Scorpion area - the right combination of up/down opens the gate to the emerald level.

And be glad if the undead wish to run away - many now have immunity from specific attack forms!
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

ok thanks for the hints so far: i opened door 1 with gem, then used might ;) now guessing i need open door spell. i had to search on here for it, but it just keeps saying i need more practice with this spell, even at low level. do i need to unlock the spell first?
motto definately says Thrice - i guess youre right Beowuuf.
indeed my water skin is cursed (no wonder i struggle with water - ive only got two other skins)!
ever since i found the Eckhard cross, some undead seem to run away from me. they attack if im next to them, but they make every effort to keep away! cool! (shame i cant say the same for Vecna though :( )
Altar of Assault - yes i found a spellcaster-type monster with a tail. only saw it for a few seconds before i was obliterated. had to roll back to a previous save as i was unprepared for the Altar of Assault.
loving the game though - whenever i get stuck in one place, there's always something else to do elsewhere in the dungeon.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The spell doens't need unlocked, you just need to more levels. Given what is at the end of the MIPS area, you can expect to need higher levels anyway!

And yes, Ekhart is a special cross, though the effect was never that noticeable before, cool

The mage monster is Chaos-like, and soaks up damage, but people say he is killable so keep at it!

And yes, zyx has generated a masterpiece, a sprawling, amazing masterpiece!
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

One area in the Altar of assault has a push button door which can be very useful in defeating any of the creatures there, you just have to make sure you don't destroy it, or the wooden non-button door leading to the same room from the open area. If you have at least one funereal weapon, I suggest using it on the spellcaster there, in addition to the door (might be difficult with three in your party though).
For the Emerald area, like I suggested, start with all the levers up and flip the correct one to open the gate.
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

ok ive left the MIPS for a while - found myself a second Eckhart cross near the Retirement Room - and got myself two more water skins!!!! im so happy! also found the small room with the 4 stairs and the materialisers (hairy blue globes) near the monstery, and unlocked two more maps!! wahey!.

- why sometimes does the screen rotate colours - like the mouse pointer and parts of the graphics? is this a bug?
- who is Saint Prometheus (is it Prometheus?) the chap under the door that throws fireballs at me all the time?

oh and i love the torture chamber!
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

1) Something you ate enables the deeper level of perception, I think.

2) Saint Prometheus carries the everlasting source of light, not sure if there is anything more important about him. You can get this special item if you are fast.
All in the golden afternoon,
Full leisurely we glide...
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Christopher wrote:In the golem room right before Xanathar, how do you close the pit that the one golem is trapped behind? I've tried putting clubs in all the alcoves, I've thrown items across the pit, and I've even killed the golem. Is there a way to close that pit? There's some stuff in the alcove across from it that I'd like to get.

Indeed, you need to put the same item into the alcoves around the pit. I totally forgot what it was though. Bah I am forgetting such things way too fast. Try various things, was not that hard afair. And I think there was a clue on the wall somewhere around.

EDIT: Might be wrong, but I think you need coins, dont remember what type though.
All in the golden afternoon,
Full leisurely we glide...
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

W00t!! Finally managed to escape from hell, so I thought I'd come and gloat for a while. That final battle at the guilty place is nigh on impossible, you go from a huge area with weak monsters to a tiny area with uber monsters. If it wasn't for the Super Dragon and his DM1 Demon cronies it would be a lot easier, and the fact that you constantly spin due to terror. But they do not have to beaten, only a few of the others do. You end up back in Moria and all you get is a scroll of innocence!!!!!! And not even a single point for it!! No other items, nothing, I feel gypped considering the mistral gusts and payload of ven eggs and blast spores I used. It's worse than killing Vecna, and that is bad.

I mapped the huge hell area though if anybody wants it, someone mentioned it a while ago. It's odd, even when I finish the trial properly, I end up in a room of death knight analogues that waste me. I'm starting to run out of places to do...will have to start asking for hints soon.
Last edited by Antman on Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.