Amazon and user reviews of products not-yet-released.

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ultimately a cynic is really an idealist so wants to be proved wrong?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

No, a cynic wants everyone to agree with him so he can stop being cynical!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I know I am late on this, but I couldn't care less about reviews on amazon. I think that whenever private persons are allowed to freely review something, about 90% of the reviews are crap anyway. Very few people put the necessary time and effort in a review if they just do it for fun I think. So, I usually don't care at all for reviews on amazon or even imdb. I do read them sometimes, but mostly just to kill time or to see what others think of a product I already know. If I want a review of a product I don't already know, there are enough websites who do professional reviews - especially for games.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I agree, most of the reviews suck, but my complaint isn't anything to do with the reviews themselves, but in fact the bizarre mechanism Amazon have in place to allow reviews of things that haven't yet been released.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Tom Hatfield wrote:Failure hones cynicism, but sometimes you even get cynical about being cynical, and that's when enlightenment starts to kick in. I hope.
A very old post this, but I just read it again, and I think I am getting to the point you mentioned and I finally understand what you meant.