Magic: The Gathering

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

I started playing this a few weeks ago. Well, I say started playing it but I've only played one game so far :oops:

I've been intrigued by it for years but never took the plunge, and my current revitalised interest in old-school tabletop games brought it about. From what I've investigated so far it seems like a pretty impressive game, though the card buying compulsion is already setting in...
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Oh no, it's hooked another one :shock:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Teehee

Eh, from what I've read the rules are simpler too! Oh for good old lifo interrupt stacks etc
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

beowuuf wrote:Teehee

Eh, from what I've read the rules are simpler too! Oh for good old lifo interrupt stacks etc

I was disappointed that the interupt was removed, but i think it was because it was difficult for new players.
fave colour combos are
white-green, white-blue

favorite deck is a green white, highlander deck
my icy deck is a runner up
keep your gor coin handy
somemale
Novice

Post by somemale »

I used to play A LOT and was definitely addicted to this game back in the mid 90's during my high school years. I stopped when there were just too many expansions, thus more money going down the drain..i think I stopped when Mirage came out.

I can't remember what exactly was in my deck as my cards are in China, but my most successful deck was something along the lines of this:
Blue
4 x counterspell
4 x arcane denial
2 x force of will
2 x powersink
1 x deflection
2 x flood

Black
2 x drainlife
2 x dark ritual
2 x hypnotic scepter
1 x royal assassin

Artifact
1 x Jesters cap
4 x millstone
2 x helm of obedience
3 x meekstone
1 x ivory tower
1 x icy manipulator

1 x black/blue dual land
rest islands and swamps.

speed decks would kill me if I didnt get a good draw...
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

Here in Mount Healthy, there is a game store that has tournaments. I strictly play casual, so I thought I wouldn't ever be in one, but lo and behold, they have extended all month and I got to play in my first tournament ever. It was a lot of fun even though I got mana-screwed during three games (two different matches) which shouldn't happen that often with 24/60 land deck. I won the first match and got all excited and then lost the rest (8 players total). It was a very neat experience and since it is going on all month, I'll be going to all the others. Mono black doesn't seem to hold up well against mono blue though so I may need to build another deck for the next match.
Edit: I can post the deck I used if anyone is curious.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, your monsters hurt you, his monsters hurt you, your enchantments fizzle from counterspells, his enchanted monsters hurt you, you die

Yeah, go on, what deck did you have?
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

Uh... I'll have to wait 'till I get back home to list my deck. Can't remember all of it off the top of my head.
In actuality, only one player was monblue, and the only one who beat me 2-0. My biggest dissapointment was failing to a psychatog deck because I got mana-screwed the last to games (I won the first one). It is real neat to see some of the combos out there. The one playing mono-blue had an awesome combo that the player said usually doesn't work perfectly like that. He had a card in play that turns every single card in play into an artifact. Then he used Cunning Wish to get a sorcery card from his sideboard that returns all artifacts target opponent controls, to their owner's hand. That was smooth.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

My deck...
Creatures:
1 Braids, Cabal Minion
2 Devouring Strossus
4 Korlash, Heir to Blackblade
1 Maga, Traitor to Mortals
2 Nezumi Graverobber
2 Phyrexian Plaguelord
1 Rotlung Reanimator (thrown in at the last second)
4 Sengir Autocrat

Sorceries:
2 Beacon of Unrest
2 Plague Wind

Enchantments:
1 Circle of Affliction (thrown in at the last second)
2 Death Pit Offering
1 Debtors' Knell

Auras (Creature Enchantments):
2 Fallen Ideal

Aftifacts:
4 Ornithopter
4 Orochi Hatchery
1 Planar Portal

Lands:
4 Cabal Coffers
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
19 Swamp

My sideboard was a joke because I really had no clue what to have in it. Plus I'm a noob:
1 Devouring Strossus
1 Filth
1 Kuon, Ogre Ascendant
1 Liege of the Pit
1 Magus of the Abyss
3 Damnation
1 Temporal Extortion
3 Shadow of Doubt
1 Death Match
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Tower of Eons

When I use this deck for casual play, it has at least one Contamination in the deck and three in the sideboard.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

Just made up a new deck for Extended I hope to play soon in the Monday night extended tournaments this month here in town. My mono black deck didn't hold its own well so I went to mono blue this time. I nicknamed the deck 'Eye of Time' because of one of the basic combos in the deck:
(5)Creatures:
3 Guile
1 Keiga, the Tide Star
1 Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar
(12)Sorceries:
1 Acquire
3 Beacon of Tomorrows
1 Extract
3 Time Stretch
4 Walk the Aeons
(12)Instants:
3 Counterspell
1 Cryptic Command
2 Cunning Wish
3 Mana Leak
3 Remove Soul
(4)Enchantments:
1 Counterbalance
3 Eye of the Storm
(27)Lands:
12 Island
3 Temple of the False God
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Tower
Side Board:
1 Acquire
1 Clockspinning
1 Dampen Thought
1 Dream's Grip
1 Mana Short
1 Piracy Charm
2 Quicken
1 Spy Network
1 Stream of Consciousness
1 Thermal Flux
1 Trickery Charm
2 Twincast
1 Veil of Secrecy

The sideboard was easier to make this time as I based it off of my two Cunning Wish(es). 13 different instants to choose from.

For those who are interested in what the deck does but don't want to look up individual cards, I'll explain some of it. It all centers around my favorite blue card, Eye of the Storm. It's an enchantment that removes all instants and sorceries from the game when they are played. Then the person who played a sorcery or instant copies all instants and sorceries removed by Eye, and can play them for free. That works real well with cards like Time Stretch (target player takes two extra turns), Walk the Aeons (" " " 1 extra turn). Mana Leak keeps opponents from casting any spells when you are casting yours.
Another combo used is with Guile, a 6/6 blue Elemental Incarnation for 3UUU which reads:
Guile can't be blocked except by three or more creatures. If a spell or ability you control would counter a spell, instead remove that spell from the game and you may play that card without paying its mana cost. When Guile is put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library.
And that helps explain all the counterspell spells in this deck. That's about it. I think this deck is a vast improvement from my other deck which suffered from not being a Legacy deck. When it was Legacy, it was much more powerful.