How to use a floor object (barrel) to drop items?

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ShaggyDowns
Apprentice

How to use a floor object (barrel) to drop items?

Post by ShaggyDowns »

Greetings all,

I created a floor object of a barrel and then another floor object of a broken barrel. I made it so that when you attack the barrel it is destoryed and converts to the broken barrel floor object. My question is, how can I get it to drop items (like food) when the barrel is destoryed and converts to the broken barrel floor object. I am new to RTC, so maybe I am missing something here and I haven't had much practice with the relays and actions.

I notice under the floor object where you set it to what it converts to when destoryed there is an additional action field. I tried putting some different actions like, ACTION_CREATE_NEW_ON_FLOOR and then a couple different food items for object 1 & 2, but it keeps popping up with the following message:

"New object (action "ACTION_CREATE_NEW_ON_FLOOR") secondary action object will be ignored. Expecting no object.

I am really confused to what this addtional field does and how it works. Also, how I can get items to drop from the broken barrels. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

~SD~
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You can only create one object on the floor...other action itesm like a convert need two, so the editor shows two spaces

The better item would be have the action target a cloned relay with a special name, which targets multiple action wallitems to drop multiple food items
ShaggyDowns
Apprentice

Post by ShaggyDowns »

Hmmm...

I guess my next question would be if I would have to make the barrel a trigger and how? I haven't had much practice with the relays and actions yet, so I am not sure how I would go about doing that. Since I am new to RTC, I would think I would have to make the barrel a trigger. When it converts to the broken barrel by an attack, it would then trigger the relay or action to drop an item like food? Although I don't see how I can make the barrel a trigger, like I can a wallitem. I will give it a go and mess around with it a bit. Any extra help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

~SD~
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i wouldn't do it that way.
i would clone a non-attacking and non-moving monster and call it monster_barrel for example.
when "killed", the barrel would be converted in something like flooritem_barrel_broken and would drop any objects a "monster" can carry...
ShaggyDowns
Apprentice

Post by ShaggyDowns »

linflas wrote:i wouldn't do it that way.
i would clone a non-attacking and non-moving monster and call it monster_barrel for example.
when "killed", the barrel would be converted in something like flooritem_barrel_broken and would drop any objects a "monster" can carry...
Now that I can do! A great idea, behold the barrel monster that drops food for all!

Thanks for the help,

~SD~
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yup, good solution Linflas. RTC editing is about finding the simplest solution which ironically can often be hard to see.