Preventing player from placing large items in the backpack

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Preventing player from placing large items in the backpack

Post by Gambit37 »

It always bugged me that you could place several chests in your backpack in the original DM (and that those chests could themselves contain lots of large items).

I want to prevent such outlandish distortion of the space-time continuum, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

The default actions don't seem to provide a way of intercepting the player putting something in the backpack. And you can't give the backpack itself any properties.

Any thoughts?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Does equip only have the specific areas like pouch, etc listed, or will an equip work anywhere (like in the backpack - thinking fo the rabbit's foot I'm sure should work if just possessed)

If so, perhaps you can have any large item that gets 'equipped' immediately generate a move action to put it back in the mouse hand.

How you would have a secondary equip that allows it to stay where you wish - ike the hands, or armour on the body - is another matter

This sounds liek a coding job for GG!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Equip doesn't cover the backpack at all as it's not an actual item you can manipulate.

I thought an item is flagged as equipped only when it's worn, not simply placed in the backpack? If so, how would your proposition work?

I'm fairly certain my request needs some extra hooks in the engine to make it work. Perhaps some kind of general setting like "Backpack item maximum size: " then the list of tiny->huge as radio buttons.

I also want to prevent shoving long swords and big weapons in your backpack, so that you can only keep your biggest sword in the scabbard and maybe a short sword in your backpack. While I'm NOT striving for complete realism I want to move away from some of the more dubious aspects of DM game play and I think making decisions about which weapons you will take with you makes for a far more interesting and strategic experience.

With a global setting for the backpack, you could easily stop all long swords from going in the backpack as they are set to size "large" -- you'd simply limit the backpack to "medium" items and then set your short swords as "medium" sized.
Last edited by Gambit37 on Wed May 28, 2008 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

My whole point was I didn't know how far equip worked - in DM the rabbit's foot was equipped in the backpack, there was talk ages ago of implemening this, and i couldn't remember if it had been done or ignored.

IF there is no 'equip in backpack' option, then my method cannot work.

And even if it could, you woudl still need some way to allow the 'equip when worn here' message take preference - I still think GG intervention is needed for V0.50

As an interesting aside, I agree with this and i'm sure started implementing this in the csbwin dungeon i started. The idea was big weapons and chests could only occupy the first space or two in your backpack, akin to you tying them there, and all large items therefore could not be put into chests either

Wait, how is zokathra handed? If you can override the 'don't put into hand' aspect, you have your overlarge item.

Maybe I am thinking of csbwin again, but this was the basis of what I was doing to overly large weapons... or was going to do at least....
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

beowuuf wrote:My whole point was I didn't know how far equip worked - in DM the rabbit's foot was equipped in the backpack, there was talk ages ago of implemening this, and i couldn't remember if it had been done or ignored.
No idea! Maybe RTC has some special cases for certain items. I've always assumed equipped is only true when the item is worn or held. Can you clarify this GG?
beowuuf wrote:IF there is no 'equip in backpack' option, then my method cannot work.
Nope, there doesn't appear to be :-(
beowuuf wrote:Wait, how is zokathra handed? If you can override the 'don't put into hand' aspect, you have your overlarge item.
Oooooh, interesting, I'll check that out!

On another note, it's about time we started a Wiki for RTC editing. There's too much good stuff buried in this forum now.

Dunno if it's suitable to piggy back on the DM Wiki or if RTC should have its own?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Piggy back onto the dmwiki like dsb already has i think
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Bum, Zo Kath Ra works like a normal object in RTC, it doesn't have the restriction like in the original game.