Captive questions

Got a favourite DM type game? Enjoy Eye of the Beholder? Adore Amberstar? Cherish Captive? Discuss these and more here!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Captive questions

Post by beowuuf »

Pulled from the custom dungeons forum:
thyceult wrote:
Anyways, I have a special request, that's not connected to Conflux nor Dungeon Master in any way, but I was hoping it could get answered... or at least someone would be able to redirect me to the answer. My query is regarding an old Atari/Amiga game called Captive. Am sure that most of you have heard about it:

1. I am playing the PC version but noted that there are missing sound effects. I can't remember for the life of me whether the original Atari ST version carried sound. I'm pretty sure it did. So where did the PC version sounds go? I only have the music which is really like listening to a scratchy piece of sandpaper rubbing on some dinner plates... :roll:

2. I am intrigued by Captive 2: Liberation. Anyone has a copy I could try out?

3. If the answer to 1 is that the PC version is built like that and that you suggest I go back to using Atari emulators or Amiga emulators and replay the "originals", how do I go about doing it? And what about my saved games for the PC version then (T_T). Is there any way to recreate my belongings and game location via some trainers/hacks? At least just to avoid wasting time on getting back to the same position?

4. Supposing the approach in (3) is too exaggerated, how about me recording my own sounds to replace the missing ones in the game? How would you suggest I go about doing that? Since the music is only in midi form, it must be really easy to recreate all the machine gun, pistol, sword and laser sounds by searching for online samples. Just how does one force the game coding to request for the sound samples?

Jesse
thyceult
Apprentice

Post by thyceult »

Thanks beowuuf!

Sorry for the extra work there. :oops: In fact, I wanted to extend that question to Knightmare as well. Can't seem to find a nice copy of it lying around for the PC :(

Jesse
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Knightmare was never released on the PC. You can play it under Amiga emulation though.

Answering your questions as best I can:

1) I only played the Amiga version in detail, so have no idea about sounds. The brief play I tried of PC Captive under DOSBOX seemed to have the same sounds that I remembered. *shrug*

2) I don't have Captive 2 but played a little of it back in the day. I couldn't get into it, there was a lot of text to read I seem to remember...

3) Use WinUAE and find the IPFs for the Amiga version. I have them somewhere, if you can't find them, I'll dig them out. I doubt you can hack the save files, though maybe something on this site might help: http://captive.atari.org/

4) Not possible unless you want to disassemble the original source and compile your own version. Ask Paul Steve's about such an endeavour.... ;) If you're not a programmer already, I'd set aside a few years such a project...
DragonsLover
Craftsman

Post by DragonsLover »

Hey, I'm Michael from The Ultimate Captive Guide (see Thanks section).

1. You can get sounds under Dosbox by changing the Sound Blaster type to Sound Blaster Pro Version 1.0 ("sbtype=sbpro1" in Dosbox.conf). Anyway, I really don't recommend Captive under PC-Dos because this version contains a lot of bugs. See the Bugs section on our website for more details.

2. You must use an Amiga emulator to play Captive II. I have the roms and tried it a bit and I must say it's really different from the first one. Example : you can separate your droids from the party, there are vehicles and taxis, etc.

3. I recommend you to play the Atari ST version under Steem because there's a program called SuperCC (I can send you a copy if you want or you can get it in the Tools section) that allows you, by being plugged to the Steem memory, to go to any level of any mission you want and edit the stats and inventories of your droids so that they could be like the PC version. So, you could easily be able to restart the current level where you were (which is better than restarting the whole game!) Note however that the Atari ST version has less colours than the PC and Amiga ones, but just for SuperCC, it's worth it. The best version for Captive is, of course, the Amiga one, but there are no "tools" for it and you really have to restart the whole game.

4. You don't need any records. Like I said, there are sounds under the Dos PC Version.

As for Knightmare, there are the Amiga and Atari ST versions (PC version doesn't exist). Simply use a rom of the game under Steem (for the ST) or an Amiga emulator.
thyceult
Apprentice

Post by thyceult »

Wow Michael,

Well met and hello from Malaysia! Thanks for the timely save my good man. I was really hoping that someone would be able to reply this message of mine, but little did I expect that it would come from none other than yourself! This is truly a great honor, perhaps at most second to Anthony himself. Thanks so much for the sensible advice.

I've already gone through your website prior to trying out the PC version, but am still in the early stages (Budod, Mission 1 Level 9), so I figure I might as well close off a chapter in this story of mine before attempting your recommendations. This stems from my need to continuously play a never ending game like Conflux (Dungeon Master mod, am sure you have heard of it
:D) and at the same time trying to revisit my childhood 15 years ago.

Jesse

Edit extra: I've just done up the fixes to the PC version as you have highlighted and it works perfectly Michael! Thanks... you've finally brought back *kliks* and *klaks* back to my otherwise dull Captive life. As for the Steem version of the game or the Amiga emus... I'm going to look into that very soon. I wonder if any of your good friends are hosting downloads for them? My country seems to be banning the use of any torrent related tools or even sites. :(
DragonsLover
Craftsman

Post by DragonsLover »

Hehe thanks! But I'm just a single Captive fan. I'm not related about anything with Anthony (if just that I'm a player of his game).

And The Ultimate Captive Guide is NOT my website, I just work on it and improve it by locating the errors or missing things and advise them to Pierre "Lyverbe" Fournier, the REAL owner of the website. I did, for example, the encounter pictures in the Encounter section. I also worked on the icons in SuperCC.

You don't need to access and download torrent things.

You can get Steem and TOS Roms here. I also recommend you to download the Pasti plug-in for Steem. This is a plug-in that can load "original" disk images in STX format and Lyverbe has created Captive V1.2 Pastis images of an improved version of Captive by Anthony (that corrects the "missing clipboard bug and allows to change the mouse sensitivity"). Under Steem, you'll have to activate the plug-in in the Disk Manager Options and it'll be done. I can provide the disk images of the game if you want.

If however, you're interested of the Amiga version, it will be a little bit harder as Kickstart roms are hard to find, excepted if you search at the good places. Kickstart roms are needed to run Amiga emulators.

As for saving games, the nice thing is that these emulators use a "Memory Snapshot" system which means that you can "save" your game and "load" it at anytime. Even, you can simply quit Steem and the next time you'll open it, the game will be still there like if you didn't leave the game.

Questions? Ask me. ;)
thyceult
Apprentice

Post by thyceult »

Wow man!

It's like I don't even know where to begin! Well, I am not one to normally make comparisons but I believe that Pierre Fournier is quite amazing as well, as with a number of other contributors to the efforts that is "re-studying Captive". Quite like how legendary Zyx and Paul Stevens are for their respective works under the Dungeon Master engine. (Forgive me guys if I made any errors in my remarks (T_T))

I am just in total awe of you guys. It's almost as if I was stuck in this cave of mine, mining for days and months and not realizing that there's an entire city of fans out there all dedicated to the re-realization of the glory of yesteryear. That almost makes me totally embarassed to admit that I graduated from the Computer Science stream (little of which I practice today, mind you haha)

I will worm my way around as I always do, and eventually find the answers to the methods you have kindly put forward for me. As some of the others on this forum might have realized already, I am sadistic enough to play again and again until I get it right and in some short bursts of time, I can actually outseat a good number of them in front of the computer in terms of hours played per day. Only thing I probably lack is the computer know-how to make certain ideas work :(

That is probably where you guys rock I guess! One of the few things that boggles my mind is this:

1. Did Anthony Crowther ever mention about going back and re-working Captive or any of the stuff he's worked on before? He's legendary, considering his works have even reached my part of the world!

2. I understand that there has been some concerted effort on reconstructing Captive or improving on it... but somehow that seems to have stopped suddenly. What happened?

3. How is it that you spotted this thread so quickly? Are you a regular here or were you informed by the admins about it? If so, I really have to thank you admins out there. Love you guys!

4. How are you related to Pierre anyways? I can't really make out his CV, but I am impressed by some of his qualifications. Nice to know that serious number and code crunchers like games like these too :D

5. Despite the massive amount of bugs in the PC version, none of them are really fatal to the progress of the game right? Besides the one that crashes the game as mentioned on the website?

And yes, to Pierre.. my apologies for the mistaken identity issue. Good work to both yourself and Michael man. I look forward to seeing more! Greetings from Malaysia again :D

Cheers,
Jesse

P.S.: Any consideration on putting comments regarding how different weapons work in Captive? Like for example, I apparently forgot the differences in the bullet spray coming from the boosters as opposed to the rapidos (however they are spelled lol)
DragonsLover
Craftsman

Post by DragonsLover »

1. He said one time that he may have future plans with the Captive source code, but I don't know much about it.

2. I don't know, but maybe that there wasn't anything much to do. Anthony worked hard to be sure that everything was okay. Don't forget that Anthony also worked on Captive II right after the first one so that maybe he didn't have time. It's a question that we need to ask to Anthony.

3. Yeah, I come here from times to times. First, it was Beowuuf that had bring the post here then, when I spotted the topic, I immediately came as I know Captive a lot. I think we can thanks Beowuuf for that. ;)

4. I'm his friend. We're both from Quebec and we both enjoy Captive. Using MapGen and Steem memory snapshots, he found out how the map generator works, how the game works and where the data are stored. So, he created SuperCC to allow to modify almost everything on the game and access to almost every mission.

5. There's only one fatal bug in the game : the freezing one. When it occurs, you have to restart the game and load your previously saved game. All the other bugs are just annoying and ruin the game. For example : the Vision Correction optic was supposed to only remove hidden walls. Now, it acts also like a Visor with red lines, making this one useless. And the Vision Correction was mainly used to be turned on all the time. But it's not that fun to have red lines shown all the time during the game.

No problems! ^^

PS : Boosters fire one bullet on the left, one on the middle and one on the right regardless of the droid position. Rapidos shoot three shots on a same position. So that, if you fire a rapido from your front-left droid, the 3 bullets will appear from the left side of the screen. If you fire with the front-right one, they'll appear on the right side. And if you fire with either one in the back, the bullets will appear in the middle.
thyceult
Apprentice

Post by thyceult »

Wow!

Talk about a timely reply! Shouldn't you guys be sleeping or something by now? Probably night owls heh. Yeah... I'll be sure to thank Beowuuf for the introductions :D

Well, I wasn't going to switch over to the Steem version of Captive at first, but something got me convinced in the end. The space station is way too friggin' hard given my equipment (which I was pretty sure was top notch already... but apparently was lacking sufficient ammo and mines). Worse yet, I overwritten the old file preventing my reloading prior to the last base exploding and buying even more gear.

If my memory serves me correctly, there are no shops in the station. If that's the case, then I am screwed royally. Argh! Looks like I will have to find the Steem emulator and the ROM to boot. *sigh*

Mmmm yeah, the vision correction thing didn't work like that in the past. Looks like this PC version emulator wasn't at all 100%. I hope that the maker of the PC version would fix these things up a little. It would be great then!

I was originally planning on playing the Amiga version, but I loathe having to play through all over again, especially since I took hours getting to where I am right now. I know it's ironic considering the 80+ hours I just dumped into Zyx's Conflux map, but still... lol.

As for Anthony, I really do hope that he considers returning to the project and working on it again. He just needs to realize how many supporters he has! :(

The work done by Pierre on the SuperCC is invaluable. Kudos on a job well done! Although I have yet to see it in action myself, but understanding the principle of the work along with the screenshots is enough to have me convinced!

Alas, I guess my Christmas wishlist would be that I could have the nicer graphics as per the Amiga version, with all of the tools available to the Steem version. We can all but wish huh? Hahaha...

Jesse

P.S.: Thanks for the detailed explanation on the guns. I sort of found out the hard way through experimentation by buying up the guns and re-acquainting myself with them :D
thyceult
Apprentice

Post by thyceult »

Gambit37 wrote:Knightmare was never released on the PC. You can play it under Amiga emulation though.

Answering your questions as best I can:

1) I only played the Amiga version in detail, so have no idea about sounds. The brief play I tried of PC Captive under DOSBOX seemed to have the same sounds that I remembered. *shrug*

2) I don't have Captive 2 but played a little of it back in the day. I couldn't get into it, there was a lot of text to read I seem to remember...

3) Use WinUAE and find the IPFs for the Amiga version. I have them somewhere, if you can't find them, I'll dig them out. I doubt you can hack the save files, though maybe something on this site might help: http://captive.atari.org/

4) Not possible unless you want to disassemble the original source and compile your own version. Ask Paul Steve's about such an endeavour.... ;) If you're not a programmer already, I'd set aside a few years such a project...
*nods enthusiastically to Gambit's replies*

Well bro, I really appreciate you taking the time steering off topic to help me out on this one as well. Much appreciated. Sorry for barging in on everyone's convo about the much loved Conflux though, but I just about had it up to here with my online Googling of Captive. I only used this forum as a last resort because I somehow knew that someone out there would have the answers I was looking for.

You know what's funny? The funny thing is that when I tried all sorts of keywords for Captive (without recalling Anthony's last name) on Google, I ended up with results like pandas in captivity, captive POWs torture camps, captive market, anthony robbins, etc.

None of which as you can guess even relates to our Captive. *sigh*

What you have Gambit... I'd like a copy of it! Here... I'll pm you my email address so you can dump whatever you like there. Sorry for the extra trouble though! Don't trouble yourself too much or go out of your way to find it. If it's not there, it's just not there :D No biggie really. I just felt like a bit of nostalgia actually.

Needed a break from Zyx's Conflux dungeon. My brains are leaking precious juices since my last encounter hahah. If all goes well, I plan to reenter with the Maleficient guild this time!

On programming: Ugh, few years!? (T_T)

Cheers,
Jesse
DragonsLover
Craftsman

Post by DragonsLover »

The first space station is the hardest space station of the game because you can't find a shopkeeper for a long time and also because you don't have access to the strongest armour and weapons yet. But this space station is not impossible.

Space stations have shops, every level have them. You can't find a base without shops, it's impossible. The trick for the first space station is to let the guards and androids kill themselves while hiding behind a wall or a closed door. This will reduce the number of encounters and save ammunitions.

The PC version is a conversion of the Amiga version but badly made by Antony Taglioni and I don't think it's possible to correct the bugs unless having the source code.

As for the tools available for the Amiga version, well, who knows? Maybe someday, someone will make one.
thyceult
Apprentice

Post by thyceult »

That was a very heartening revelation Michael,

It gives me hope to try it out again. I'm down to 36% on my last deflector and totally out of ammo for one type of weapon. Only have 6 cartridges left for my boosters. This totally blows. No sign of a shop anywhere in sight. I might not make it. My vision is failing. None of their weapons rebound either except against the blue screened doors. I really don't know how I can pull this one off. I even used the method of opening and closing wall to crush them to death. Even that method is quickly getting old.

If you say there's a shop in there somewhere, I will not give up. Ammo is just a store away! If I must I will do what I recalled doing the last time I played on the Atari... that is running like a mad dog all the way in, triggering all the mobs and then setting up mines behind to deter their chase will finding the shop. This time around the only difference being that I have no mines wahahah.

I thought those fireballs and laser bullets don't rebound? How will they ever be able to kill themselves? *sigh*

To Antony Taglioni,

First and foremost, if you are reading this... you have my thanks and respect for creating the PC version of Captive. Without it I would not have had so many hours of fun-filled activity! However, that being said... can you please fax yourself over so that I can smack your paper image? Please correct the said bugs! Either that or appease the Captive gods by making some handy door bypass or mapping tools :D

Yeah, that'd be great :P

Jesse

Latest Update
By the digital gods man!

I followed your advice to the letter and by golly it works! It's sick but it works! I just went into sleep mode and left the game on its own to trade my options markets and came back to it like 5 minutes later. Lo and behold, it's +1500 exp! I don't know what the carnage looks like on the other end, but I must imagine it to be really lovely. Though the shop is nowhere to be found just yet, I am indeed getting more and more hopeful now that I know the enemy is going completely berserk trying to kill me. That and to think I offed the earlier offending 8 groups mano-a-mano. That really drained my ammo :(

Jesse 10:48pm Wednesday
DragonsLover
Craftsman

Post by DragonsLover »

Use Deflector only for emergency (like when you're trapped in a dead-end by a hard monster).

When I said "kill themselves", it's simply that encounters are stupid. They'll fire at you even if you're behind a wall. So, if an encounter fires at you and that there's another encounter between you and the attacker, then the encounter in the middle will take damage from the attacker until he dies. It's easier if you have the Radar. If you spot lots of encounters behind a wall, place yourself correctly so that encounters are line-up to you and they'll fire at you, causing damages to the closer encounters. You know that it's succesfully done when you hear the "clank" sound (which is the sound when an encounter is hit). Use the Sleep Button and enjoy listening the enemies being killed (it's so nice when you hear the bag drops)! Do that lots of times and when it's done, just access to the room (if you can) and kill the remaining weak encounters.

As for closing walls to crush encounters, well... this is not supposed to happen (I'm not totally sure about that).

On our website, you can get this "trick" in the "Tips and Tricks" section "Sleeping, one of the best weapon".
thyceult
Apprentice

Post by thyceult »

Hahah yeah no doubt,

I started using that trick a long, long time ago when I first played the Atari version, but am just reminded of it thanks to the webbie! Initially I was going around it like a tough guy with the deflector on, but after a while I started employing the wait and listen to the music of death technique. It's really fun. I don't even have to use the radar at all. Haha... I've developed a keen sense of sound.

And yes, for the record? I've finally found the shop, raided it of all of its good contents and am armed to the teeth. Now payback's going to be a b-

:P

Self-censored for impolite paraphrasing.

Heh,
Jesse
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

i once encountered a problem where a monster was carrying the code to a puzzle. someone else shot a raising wall, causing it to rise up. the carrying monster went beneath it, got crushed to death, along with the solution to the puzzle :( i had to write off to mindscape and ask what the code was. im glad to say they replied and were very helpful.
thyceult
Apprentice

Post by thyceult »

Hahaha!

That was a hilarious situation if I ever heard one. Black Eagle, you have my condolences :shock: . I'd hate to be caught in something like that, no matter how trivial the code! To be honest, I am not surprised that it has happened to me before as well. Thing is, I am considered lucky because I save my games every 3 minutes or so, or right before making a major decision to open up a shelf which I know will contain a hidden monster nearby (waiting to spring up on me). That way if I screw something up, I can just take off my torso armor, and get myself killed either through knocking into the walls or waiting for the enemy to hit me once. It's just a reload away right after that :D

I was wondering though, why is it that the Ultimate Captive Guide doesn't have a database on the statistics of the armors besides what Robotics level you needed in order to wear them? It would be cool if the armor parts were divided into DEF, AGI, Power (given or drained, depending on part), HP value of part, cost, cost vs. HP value... stuff like that? I would gladly volunteer my time to help categorize everything on Excel if you guys want?

That said... is the difference between a Class I item great when compared to Class II items? Say for example a Fire Axe I when compared to Fire Axe II? How does the damage system work anyways?

2. What is the actual damage dealt by a single current of electricity tossed from your hand using the socket? Does anything change the damage value of that "free attack mode"?

3. Does your vitality affect the rate of power drain?

4. Why is it that my leader almost always loses power faster than the rest of the guys, all things being equal? Is it because of the fact you need extra power to power the vision of the party... pick up things.. push blocks etc.?

5. I forgot, what happens to the excess planet probes anyway? I know they get taken away after completing the mission... but do you get like extra points for using them?

It would be great to have answers to these mysteries, but also fine if there weren't. Just me and my pondering. I ask a lot of questions, I've noticed. Heh. Thanks again!

:P
Jesse

P.S.: Wow, I just made an interesting observation I'd like to share with everyone. I finally managed to put something in the fire by manipulating the switches at the right time. The ED-209 disappeared, became ethereal (bullets go through it), but it can still torrents of bullets at me as if it was right there!
DragonsLover
Craftsman

Post by DragonsLover »

Those answers are from Lyverbe :

1. How does the damage system work?
A table in memory is used to determine the minimum and maximum damage each weapon inflicts. A random damage is picked, multiplied by the weapon quality and the droid's dexterity. Resulting bits are shifted before being used and displayed in the AGScan.

2. What is the actual damage dealt by a single current of electricity tossed from your hand using the socket? Does anything change the damage value of that "free attack mode"?
Same as above, except that there's no weapon quality involved and the leader's dexterity is used.

3. Does your vitality affect the rate of power drain?
No. It's only used to reduce the amount of damage inflicted to a droid.

4. Why is it that my leader almost always loses power faster than the rest of the guys, all things being equal? Is it because of the fact you need extra power to power the vision of the party... pick up things.. push blocks etc.?
Yes

5. I forgot, what happens to the excess planet probes anyway? I know they get taken away after completing the mission... but do you get like extra points for using them?
No. Score only increases by killing encounters.
My answer : Extra planet probes are useless, excepted if you wish to skip a base and go back later.

Black Eagle : It's impossible. An encounter that carries a clipboard CANNOT go beneath a raising wall. It was coded in the game not to happen. The only way to crush a clipboard is by putting it there yourself. So, doormen and brains encounters can't travel through an opened raiser wall. Same goes with some encounters that carry a map. And if a wall close on some objects, they aren't crushed. When you open it again, they're still on the floor or, if they're not, they're simply invisible and you just need to click on the floor to pick them up.

As for the "disappearing monsters", I knew it. When you close a wall or fire cell, the monster isn't killed but is simply invisible. You just need to wait for the encounter to move again to become visible again. I've got something even weirder than that : there were three lined-up fire cells that you could open yourself with switches. The bug is that there were dragons moving in those fire cells (coming from additional fire cells that you cannot open) and when I closed them all, the dragons were invisible and couldn't move around (because I destroyed the nearby fire cells) and when I moved through them, I could see them at the same position than my droids but I couldn't hit them. So, I opened some fire cells back for them to move at least one cell away to reappear and then, I killed them definitely. This is a kinda little bug, but it's a normal one because I assume that, when you activate the switch, it tells to the game to "remove" the targeted cell. But if some monsters were there, the game removed them, but not totally. It only "disappeared" them for that cell. Same goes with objects : if you put something on a floor that you can close or open, the object will "disappear", but if you click on the cell, the object will pop-up in your mouse cursor. The object was only "invisible".
thyceult
Apprentice

Post by thyceult »

Thanks Michael for the very informative post!
Thanks too to Black Eagle for clarifying the mysterious "Houdini" mobs.

It's good to be able to "up" my game in the face of ever-increasing difficulty for hordes. Haha... well, I was just wondering if the urban legend is true? A close friend of mine who plays the game (or rather used to play a lot) tells me that there's a certain point where the equipment actually gets "worse" before it gets better. I can't remember whether he was referring to the armor or weapons, or whether he was referring to the cost-efficiency or just raw power? Any idea to this guys?

Jesse
DragonsLover
Craftsman

Post by DragonsLover »

Err... I don't know. I think he's referring to different shops, probably. Shops don't always sell the best weapons and the best armours, only one or two do. In the earlier levels, it's not all the shops that can sell armours and weapons though.
thyceult
Apprentice

Post by thyceult »

Hmmm possibly, possibly,

Well that's that. Now there's another big question Michael, one that I hope either yourself or Black Eagle can answer. I know the shortest answer is probably to have me play the Amiga version of the emulator or the Steem one, but just bear with me guys?

Now I'm playing the PC emulator version (yes, still at it), and have finally progressed till Mission 2, Planet 5 (ZAITET). Problem being, I've made my way into the complex only to find out that there's two paths. One door refuses to open (the shootable kind) and another door leads to a place complete with fire and a small bar puzzle. Solving the bar puzzle yields a path to a dead end with absolutely no other way to continue the level. Checked for moving walls, invisible walls, or even funny conditional walls. None of these exist.

So I thought I might do the EGA solution you guys suggested some time ago for another person. All I got was some Illegal Command: CAPPO. Worse yet, I've tried going back to the original setting for VGA, and it loads up the title screen and still gives me the same CAPPO error message. Effectively either my DOSBOX is gone, or the game itself is gone? Any suggestions?

It's not a complete loss however, because I have unlocked two more planets in advance... I can just hop to the other one other than Zaitet on an earlier save and clear that map instead. The only thing now is trying to figure out how the software will run again :(

Jesse

P.S.: If I let the intro run on it own it's fine, when I Alt+Enter to go into full screen the error thing happens. For the EGA mode, it immediately gives me the error message regardless.

Latest Update
I found out that the CAPPO error occurs whenever the ENTER key is involved.
DragonsLover
Craftsman

Post by DragonsLover »

Do NOT start the game using Cappo.exe or any other EXEs. ALWAYS run the game with Captive.bat instead.

Now, I'd suggest you to keep your savegames at a safe place and reinstall the game.

A better suggestion would be : get out from the crappy PC version and come on the ST one. Okay, the graphics aren't that good, but it's the original game by Crowther and not a bad conversion by Taglioni. Then, with SuperCC, just go back to the level you were and modify the stats of your droids so that nothing will be changed (excepted maybe the score, but this is useless, and maybe with a few changes of the body parts. Also, I'll have to restart the level). I can do that for you if you want. I just need your latest saved game and I'll do an exact copy in a memory snapshot for Steem using SuperCC. Generally, you won't get any wrongly created bases under the ST version.

But of course, it depends of you.
thyceult
Apprentice

Post by thyceult »

*sniffles*

Dammit, I hate it when you're right. Okay, I've been too hard-headed already. It's time to throw in the towel and say you're the boss. Just one question though, you sure it's not too much trouble to ask for a favor?

Can you maybe PM me your email address so that I can have it sent over? AGH! Steem you win! Gee, speaking of which, I'd need the Steem emu and the ROM as well while we're at it lol.

Jesse
DragonsLover
Craftsman

Post by DragonsLover »

You can either click on the "email" button or go into my profile to get it.

And btw, I said : it depends of you. You CAN continue playing the game with the PC-Dos version, but it's just that there are so much additional bugs that make this version not very good.
thyceult
Apprentice

Post by thyceult »

Oh no no no Michael,

Thanks for knocking some good sense into me. I realized that this is only going to get worse from here on. It may be just this map, but what happens if it happens again the next time? Can't go crying into the night each time. So I guess I'm porting over. Thanks for the help in advance.

I'm in the middle of some work right now but will send you the saved game sometime later. Is that all right? Don't have to rush on my account though. (^_^)

Jesse
DragonsLover
Craftsman

Post by DragonsLover »

I'm ready to get your saved games at anytime.
thyceult
Apprentice

Post by thyceult »

Thanks for the reminder Michael,

I will have it sent over to you whenever possible as I am currently bogged down with a sudden article writing request or rather project that I have to deal with now. Even saving Trill becomes secondary at this point :(. Sorry to make you wait on me my good man.

Humble regrets,
Jesse
DragonsLover
Craftsman

Post by DragonsLover »

That's okay, I understand. ;) Just tell me when you'll be ready.
arturus
Novice

Post by arturus »

Thank you all for some great insights to Captive. I've been playing Captive on and off since 1990 (I think that's when it came out).
I really do hope that someone out there creates a re make.
I notice there's 2 of us living in Malaysia.....must be a Captive thing.
DragonsLover
Craftsman

Post by DragonsLover »

There was a remake project called "FreeCap", but it is abandoned by his author. Unfortunately...
raptor5969
Neophyte

Re: Captive questions

Post by raptor5969 »

Hello World,

I would be happy to continue to play Captive Mindscape for Atari st. Would you have a savedisk with the weapons, few bazooka, and at the level 11?

thanks