Name me a modern PC game like Dungeon Master ???

Got a favourite DM type game? Enjoy Eye of the Beholder? Adore Amberstar? Cherish Captive? Discuss these and more here!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
rustyzip
Neophyte

Name me a modern PC game like Dungeon Master ???

Post by rustyzip »

Hi..

I loved playing Dungeon Master, Chaos etc years ago, and have just finished playing them again.. :)

Now im after a new game to waste my nights on!!
So, whats the nearest modern game like Dungoen master etc??
With souped up graphics, sound, movement etc...
I'd prefer it set in dungeons etc, and im not too keen on the "roam free" scenarios like Oblivion etc..

I did a search on here, and other "Dungeon Master" forums but came up with diddly-squat.. I would of thought this question must of been asked many times before...

Any opinions/views would be appreciated..
RustyZip
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I fear the genre is dead. Ultima Underworld could be seen as the natural successor, since it allowed free movement rather than the step-by-step movement of DM. But I actually don't know of a game in the past 10 years that is really close to DM.

If you want to play more DM-style games, there are numerous excellent custom dungeons here, like Towers of Chaos, Surgical Strike, Imprisoned Again, the infamous Conflux III or several others. But of course, these are not exactly modern, though some feature new graphics or sound.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

Space Hulk II is the only... semi-modern game that seems to follow to genre. You might try Doom RPG for celluras cause from what I saw, it's in similar style as DM.

The genre is pretty much dead, unless someone would release a similar game on a handheld *coughcoughNintendoDScoughcough* there won't be any more DM-style games.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I agree, the specific DM genre is dead in terms of modern commercial games, but there are some great almost-exact clones such as RTC and then the next level up are 3D versions such as Entombed, which we're eagerly awaiting an alpha version of.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Just in case you are not aware, the demo will be released on Saturday or Sunday (3/4 feb) for Entombed :O)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I still need a new graphics card If I'm to run it. Might treat myself, though sticking it in a nearly five year old PC seems a bit daft....
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

my machine is running agp x4, its pretty old stuff ... what spec is your machine at the moment ?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

AMD 1800XP (running at 1.6Ghz) with 512MB Ram and a GeForce4 Ti 4600. Was pretty sweet at the time I built it.... :-)
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

if you have agp x4 or x8 then all you need is a new gfx card. A nice little 7600GS does the trick, runs mega well or a 6600GT runs just as good.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

6800GS 128MB will do good?
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Watch your power plant. You stick a new graphics card with a 350W PSU, you're asking for trouble.
Foz
Novice

Post by Foz »

Anything above a 6200 (which just about runs on mine) will be fine.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I have a 500W PSU, thank you.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

I cant find any charts on toms hardware for the 6800GS, is it far behind the other 6800 (like the ultra) ? As Foz says it will run on a 6200, just, you will be fine :O)

Tom - I have just bought a 7600 GS and I only have a 300 W power supply, is this hurting the cards performance ?
Selur
Apprentice

Post by Selur »

I think there is no new game similar to DM.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

DSE : 300 W should be fine for your card but power supplies do get older. i have a 7800GS and i had to buy a new power supply (420W) because my previous one (350W but 3 years old and lots of gaming) caused video crashes when my card was very solicited..
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Thanks, it does seem to be running ok. I just wondered if it would seem to be working at full speed but would work better with more juice, are they stepped like laptop cpus ? I dont know.

Selur - what are you looking for in a clone for it to be a true DM sucessor, just interested ?
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I agree, the specific DM genre is dead in terms of modern commercial games, but there are some great almost-exact clones such as RTC and then the next level up are 3D versions such as Entombed, which we're eagerly awaiting an alpha version of.
where can i find info on this game?
keep your gor coin handy
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Entombed is a clone that is currently being worked on. You can find info about it in this thread.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

fantastic, looks real nice
keep your gor coin handy
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Wizardry 8 is the most modern spiritual successor, if you discount clones. It uses a 3-D engine but has cell-based movement like DM.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

It is not real time (combat pauses)!
I believe it is also not cell based movement, I could be wrong though.
(infinitely small cells?) ;) Could you switch cell movement on/off?

anyway it comes close , closer than the rest..(if you discount clones)
SailorCallie
Neophyte

Post by SailorCallie »

To me, FATE comes to mind. It's like Dungeon Hack with 3D graphics and an animal companion.
isamuu
Journeyman

Post by isamuu »

How would you compare Arx Fatalis and Oblivion to DM?
ShaggyDowns
Apprentice

Post by ShaggyDowns »

isamuu wrote:How would you compare Arx Fatalis and Oblivion to DM?
I haven't played Arx Fatalis, but I can tell you Oblivion is awesome and worth playing if you never have. The expansion pack, Shivering Isles, is also really cool and I highly recommend it.

I grew up playing Dungeon Master and it's still by far one of my favs. Although, it's CRAZY to play a game like Oblivion and see just how far video games have come since the 80's.

Oblivion is HUGE with tons and tons of locations to explore. I always loved DM because it felt like you were really exploring a dungeon. Well, I must say that the dungeons, caves, and ruins in Oblivion have the same sense that I felt with DM, like you really are there exploring.

I heard about this vote one time. If you were stranded alone forever on a deserted island and could only take 1 game with you, which would it be? A lot of people voted for Oblivion!

~SD~
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

I started Shivering Isles a few weeks ago and i must admit that it brings fresh air to the game : new caverns (i was bored with the original ones looking all the same), very original landscapes, new monsters, new weapons, new ingredients for alchemy.
Despite of that, this is Oblivion and you are still a standalone player.
I managed to have a DM-like 4 people team in the Kvatch Oblivion quest : Mazoga the Orc, Martin, Ilend Vonius and me, but i couldn't control them in the DM-way...

I've just watched a video of "Arx Fatalis" and it looks very fun to play, looks like a prequel of "Dark Messiah of Might and Magic".
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

For some reason, I never got into those Elder Scrolls games (at least not in the two I tried, which were Morrowind and Oblivion). Maybe the gigantic size and the freedom of what to do sort of intimidates me, I feel lost and have no idea where to start. I don't know about Arx Fatalis as I never played it.

Off-topic: ShaggyDowns, is your avatar by chance the Ultimate Warrior? Sure looks a lot like him...
ShaggyDowns
Apprentice

Post by ShaggyDowns »

Trantor wrote: Off-topic: ShaggyDowns, is your avatar by chance the Ultimate Warrior? Sure looks a lot like him...
Ha! :lol:

No, it's a character portrait from EOB3, also used in Dungeon Hack. Does sorta look like the UW though! :wink:

~SD~
Antero
Neophyte

Post by Antero »

I personally recommend Arx Fatalis to anyone liking a game with deep atmosphere and nice puzzles to complete. it should run fine on not-so-modern computers as well. Magic system is especially fun with drawing runes with your hand on air. If someone liked ultima underworld, this is a must one. i think i played it 2 or 3 times thru, just to see all the variations and secret areas.
Only way for a lone wizard to carry a full suit of darc armour and some chests seems to be a chest full of KU-Potions. =)
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Try Redshift Legacy and Undercroft, they are modern for fans of classic dungeons and keep whole atmosphere.

Sadly most of new games use full 3d free movement, and its hard to say that Arx Fatalis is in DM style, probably not. Such game must be made by fans, comercial projects probably fear and trying to avoid use odd graphic and sounds, everything must look good to have better chances for sell.