Runaway with Completed FireStaff?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
smrio
Neophyte

Runaway with Completed FireStaff?

Post by smrio »

Whats up everybody.
I have the SNES-Version, is there a way that I can complete the Fire*Staff and run back up to earlier levels and revel over every monster?

I played this back in the day in 93 and could not beat it, it got on my nerves.
So finally I conquered it the other day and now I'm just looking for a little satisfaction and some payback. :twisted: Give me some sugar ........

Other than that all my character skills are @ Adept and above which is decent.
Lots of love for this game, thanks to these forums.
Classic games never get old.
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

That's possible if it has the same feature/oversight as original DM. The pressurepad that triggers the lock-down is triggered only if you carry the Firestaff over it. It can be circumvented by throwing it out of the room. It's located right before the door that leads out from the room with the Power Gem.

So, unless the mechanics or position of the pad have been changed, it's possible to get the completed Firestaff out and romp through the dungeon with it.
Toni Ylisirniö
Author of Grave of King Millias, Return of Chaos, and DM2 dungeons.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

However, if you actually want to open the dungeon entrance door to meet with Lord Librasulus, you need the incomplete Firestaff, without the powergem. The door will not recognize the completed firestaff since it was not supposed to be carried there in the first place. Lord Librasulus will kill you after you give him the firestaff, but in some versions you can take a step toward the door and then quickly backstep, so the door will be open and Lord Librasulus will be visible with some nightsky horizon in the background, but unless you approach him again you can go back into the dungeon in order to attain the powergem and destroy Lord Chaos.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Lunever wrote:(*snip*)...in some versions you can take a step toward the door and then quickly backstep, so the door will be open and Lord Librasulus will be visible with some nightsky horizon in the background, but unless you approach him again you can go back into the dungeon in order to attain the powergem and destroy Lord Chaos.
It's been a while, but in versions I've played (the Apple IIgs and PC), I thought the door opened when you're two steps away, but Librasulus doesn't kill you until you're one step away. I could be remembering this wrong, though.

Marco.
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

You can also see a bit of him by casting a spell on the door to see through it.
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

And if you stay two tiles away for five minutes without moving you can see him pull a sandwich out of his pocket and eat it (in some versions).
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Was it a sandwich? I always thought it was a banana, the evidence being that I slipped on the skin when I cam back a few hours later.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I was squashed pepper, and libbie is misunderstood, he doesn't fireball you, it's just his pan filled with chicken fajita strips gets knocked over at that moment
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

He's probably just trying to outdo Lord Chaos's marshmallows...
Artisan

Post by Simon »

You know that every single mechanic, theory, piece of lore and fact about the game has been discussed to exhaustion when conversations start going this direction...

Besides, if you complete the game in 15 minutes it unlocks the grey lord as a playable character class.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

He's actually the legendery "two gnomes standing one ontop of each other" and his class feat is "surprise nut punch"

Beware someone with loose robes!