Online Browser advanced RPG game in the good old style

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

Would you like to see and play an advanced DM like browser game

Poll ended at Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:30 pm

Yes, would be great!
50%
Yes and I would also pay a small fee for it if game fun is given!
No votes
No, sorry, I rather player the classical ones or anything else.
50%

Total votes: 4

Tayger
Neophyte

Online Browser advanced RPG game in the good old style

Post by Tayger »

Hello everyone

I found this forum by doing some researches. As a big fan of the good ol' RPGs (DM, Bard's Tale, etc.) I made some analysis if a classical RPG is possible as browser game. I don't know if there are already such games. Please let me know if there are some.
I was thinking myself to create such a game but as a developer Im not a GFX artist nor a talented musician. It wont be an easy task and it will take time. I already created a 3D dungeon engine in Python, so not really unexperienced. My technical thoughts concerning the online RPG browser game was:
- Script language: PHP, Javascript
- DB: MySQL
Sure there are some technical restrictions set by HTML, PHP but many things are possible.

Im not up to simply copy DM or any other RPG, but taking out the best thoughts of all of them and create a new one with modern technical possibilities.

Toughts I made so far that could be implemented:
- Environment:
DM looking like, either real old style hand painted or modified real images as they look painted, same to objects (armor, weapons, etc.), Dungeons, Towns, Wilderness, ...
- Battlestyle:
Bards Tale like (Monster pops mainly at random or dayphase driven but can also be controlled by f.e. quest items). Player chooses order and action of the party members. Big bosses could be GIF animations, like other objecs (doors, gates, ...)

Further implementation ideas:
- Special abilities depending on character type (can be learned, bought or gained by quests)
- Advanced quest system: time or dayphase driven, riddles, simple monster hack&slash, treasure hunting, ...
- Element system: water, earth, .... bonus/malus in fights depending on elements on armor or weapons
- Job traits: fishing, woodworking, smithing, ... Monster drops items with which you can create new items
- Auction house: Sell or buy items in towns from players and for players
- Very advanced (economy): Players can build/buy houses and offer services or products.
- Another advanced idea: Players can create an own dungeon in which they cast their own monsters and make the dungeon attractive by putting neat stuff into it they gained so far.

Restrictions I see so far:
- Reduced online MMPORG feeling: The known techniques won't allow that people can see others action in realtime. So party building with others has time deay on refresh. There is a way by using a dedicated server and f.e. PHP socket... There could be ingame games in towns that would give more MMPORG feeling, also selling buying from other players

So far my main toughts. If such a thing comes great I rather see 100 ppl paying a certain fee for such a game than 1000 ppl playing for free. ;) So far my comercial thought.

Yes, it would be a big project and should be started small, taking step by step. Are there any ppl here willing to join such a project as designer, developer, musician, project master, webmaster, ....? There is no deadline but when started a continuous effort by all participiants.

I also added a poll to find out how you - as player - would estimate such a RPG game.

Any anwers, ideas and interests are welcome!
Tayger
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

you should check what has been done for SteamPunk Online and maybe join their project ?
http://www.steampunkonline.com
Tayger
Neophyte

Checked it out

Post by Tayger »

Tnx for the link, I checked it out. They are looking for story writers and GFX artist, but im still developer.
Visually (dungeon) it goes that way I was thinking of. Looks like they work block oriented not wall oriented. Sure its easier but "blocks" a lot of walkable ways.
Since the interest here is quite low, I shall start by mysef and see how it goes.

Greetings and tnx
Tayger

[/img]
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Too much business in rl and too many projects (current and old), I'm afraid everyone really needs to start by themselves and see how it goes. anyone who has the talents has no free time or is doing something themselves
Tayger
Neophyte

Post by Tayger »

I would say its not only a question of talents but also a question of priority. I know that Western Europe and USA is solo oriented but there is so much more power in a group work with joined forces than just a single work, imho.
Greetings
Tayger
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

True, but in single endeavours you can take advantage of free time, in group endeavours one person's glitch in time or RL tends to block the whole effort to some extent unless it is arranged as a completely parallel effort, and therefore you have much more chance of delays or missed opportunities of free effort.

Anyway, good luck!
Tayger
Neophyte

Post by Tayger »

beowuuf wrote:True, but in single endeavours you can take advantage of free time, in group endeavours one person's glitch in time or RL tends to block the whole effort to some extent unless it is arranged as a completely parallel effort, and therefore you have much more chance of delays or missed opportunities of free effort.

Anyway, good luck!
Thats one (negative) aspect of group work. Guess its based on your experience. Not everything will run fluently in such a project, of course: different skills, different opinions, different availabilty of time. Not everything needs to be done parallel. Clear communication and project planning are important parts. If someone lost his motivation or has some RL tasks to do, it can be disussed. Being dependant on a single person in a project is never good. As long as there is no deadline, there is also no delay. Some positive group work aspects:
- Learning from others
- Encouraging each other (also accepting honest criticism)
- Being part of a bigger thing than a single person can do
- New great ideas coming out of discussions you wouldn't think of doing it solo
- Immediate response for the own work from the co-workers while the project is going on
- Higher quality of a product with more talented co-workers

I'm not up to convince anyone, just wanted to say that project work is not only negative.

Just my 2 cents & good luck to you too
Tayger