Oblivion (Elder Scrolls IV)

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, I've seen some other vids of people playing Oblivion...running around, fighting, chucking bodies off cliffs and such...it all looks amazingly realistic and really cool graphics...if the gameplay/quests are anything like theyw ere in Morrowind then I would LOVE to play Oblivion...unfortunately I think our comp might explode if I tried it ;).
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i bought an Nvidia 7800GS only to be able to play Oblivion correctly, and i don't regret it, really !
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

That's ironic. I bought a 7800 GS because I couldn't afford the GT.
Uther
Novice

Dungeonmaster in Oblivion

Post by Uther »

Anyone attempted to make the dungeon master dungeon in Oblivion.

It should be possible with the Oblivion editor..

I attempted it a while ago using the the Morrowind editor and completed a couple of levels.

It just takes sooo long
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Bah, those Oblivion tools blow my mind in their complexity. I can't even figure out how to navigate the view, let alone build anything with it. What I might consider doing instead is porting Oblivion meshes over to UT2004 and making some DM maps that way. Ha, that's a good pun. DM-DM-Hall_of_Champions.
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Tried, but Oblivion's dungeons are made up from lots of meshes put together like building blocks. It'd get pretty boring pretty quickly going through levels looking exactly the same... wait a sec...

In all seriousness though, I've thought about doing it once or twice, but the Construction Set is very cumbersome as Tom's pointed out. I've started to get my head around things but it'd be some time before I got anything worth playing sorted. Maybe a multi-person project / mod could be a solution, although that comes with it's own problems.

I don't think that a faithful recreation would be out of the realms of possibility, however. Just giving it a quick think in my head, all of the puzzles seem like they could be recreated (although that's just in theory - everyone knows trying to implement it would be a bugger!). The biggest hurdle really would be the monsters - there's some from the Oblivion set that would work perfectly (skeletons, ghosts and ogres), some could be substituted (mummies could be represented as zombies, demons as Dremora) but the lack of a dragon model and unique Dungeon Master monsters (such as screamers, pink worms and thiefs!) means that they would have to be made from scratch.

I'd love to be able to do it - I just don't have the time at all :(

And Tom, I made an exact recreation of HOC in UT2004, to scale too! There's a really good mesh that works well as a wall, and another as a floor. I've lost it somehow, and I didn't take any screenshots. Don't know why either - it's the only goddamn level I ever finished! Didn't even think to call it DM-DM-Hall_of_Champions though! I think I gave it some boring name like DM-PadDMMap. Haha!
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Well, I don't even touch the construction kit. I use OBMM to extract the archives and NifSkope to view individual models. Then I use a 3ds max NIF plug-in to import the model into max (supports animation, too). Once there, you can export it using Actor X or whatever and then import it into UnrealEd, along with the correct textures. You'll lose normal and relief mapping, but at least you've got the basic model and texture.

There is an animated dragon in Oblivion, but you would have to import it into your app of choice, key the new animations yourself, export it, and then script a mod that applies the new animation. Yuck.

I installed UT2004 last night for the specific purpose of making an Oblivion-ized level. Should have time this weekend to play around with it.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Here's what I did in a few minutes with only one mesh:

Working in 3ds max
Working in the editor
In-game

Porting models is easier than I thought because UEd supports ASE, which max can export natively. With some extra time, really good results could be achieved by burning the light textures and importing those into UT as well. (Thats what I did for the Far Cry shot I posted a while back.) I'll do some more of those dungeon meshes and try to put together something interesting before the weekend is out, if I find time.
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Very impressive, even without any mapping. Can't wait to see how you progress with this. The scaling looks pretty good too - that's the bugger I've always had with Unreal, you have to make things super high because the default jump height is so high.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Actually, I didn't even touch the scale. There is an astounding number of components in Oblivion. It's gonna take a while (and a lot of patience) to port all of them over, especially without an easier way to view the models and how they fit together. Maybe I will take a look at the construction set and learn how to navigate it, so I can at least preview the models in action.
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

You definitely need to take a look at the official CS wiki. There's a few tutorials that I found invaluble.

One thing I really noticed from the CS is that the controls aren't really intuitive, especially after using UnrealEd. One guide on the official wiki named, quite simply 'A beginner's guide' explains it pretty well. Basically, the camera either rotates around an origin or a selected object. You have to hold a combination of keys down to get the desired movement / rotation.

Check the guide out, if only to find out how to navigate the bloody thing.

The Elder Scrolls Construction Set Wiki

A beginner's guide, lesson 1 (Direct Link - Control summary at bottom of page)
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I'll do that when I get Oblivion installed. Here are some more samples:

Corridor 1
Corridor 2
Corridor 3

Edit: I looked at the editor. I'm afraid it'll be easier for me to view each model separately with NifSkope.
Uther
Novice

Post by Uther »

PadTheMad wrote: Maybe a multi-person project / mod could be a solution, although that comes with it's own problems.

I don't think that a faithful recreation would be out of the realms of possibility, however. Just giving it a quick think in my head, all of the puzzles seem like they could be recreated (although that's just in theory - everyone knows trying to implement it would be a bugger!). The biggest hurdle really would be the monsters -
I'd love to be able to do it - I just don't have the time at all :(

!
You can create all of the puzzles without too many problems, also there are mods for Oblivion (MMM mod) that alreadfy add many new monsters that could be used.
A community project could be a good idea. a few people could take a level each. also there would be a limited number of scripts for the traps.

Bear in mind once 1 level is done the rest would be a lot easier because you could copy and paste sections.

I don't pay Unreal tournament, but as its a fps can it really be used for a RPG. Can you simulate spells, scrolls and monster abbilities and inventory.?
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

UT is entirely scripted. It will do whatever you want, provided you know how to script it. I wasn't planning to go that far.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

My first post on the new forum. :D
Lord Rocket wrote:The best bit in Bloodmoon is where you kick seven shades of something out of the 'Uderfrykt' (spelling?) and then get to be a Nord chief. It's a shame there's no proper way to get drunk or I'd just sit around drinking mead with my warriors. Good stuff.
I played Oblivion again not terribly long ago — sometime last year, I don't remember when — and made it a habit to sneak into the dining hall at a castle, steal all the silver, eat all the food, and drink all the booze. Passing out is hilarious.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Found that hilarious Baywatch parody by chance :)
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=jUEmH9OtR5c