Try a solo game

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Slysar
Novice

Try a solo game

Post by Slysar »

I've been playing DM for over a decade. So long that I don't even remember what it is like to play a 4 character team. I only play 1 character at a time.
The very first thing I do is pick the character I like (bane, graen, kol whatever) then pick the 2 characters who have the most monetary value (eqqus and cordain), then I proceed to kill 3 of my characters by running them into a wall. I leave their bones on the ground and rob their corpses of everything of value.
1 character. a party of 1. You learn alot by playing 1 character alone. 1 character is easily developed in all 4 classes quickly. It's never hard to achieve archmaster in 2 or 3 of the 4 classes. What suprises me the most is the speed of a single character. Mithril hosen on a single character makes the player able to move at burst-like speed. You really fly man!
You get to know a solo characters characteristics. Kol is a stamina wus. Graen can get so smart that he can kill himself sleeping. Anders is a super hp regenerator. In reality Eqqus is stronger that Cletus even though Cletus 'starts' with more strength. The overall stat champion of all characters is Bane. The weakest most worthless all-around is Cordain.
In conclusion: You can play from start to end with a single character very easily. Each character has quirks about them that truely gives them personality and individuality if you can pay personal attention to them. Give it a try guys, tell me who you like most and why.
For a mage Graen is the man (I rename him 'Grain' or 'Ozzy') If you invest some fighter and ninja skills into this weakling of weaklins, he can truely become a beast. I archmastered him in both wizard and priest once, wow he is such a spell-slinger.
For a fighter, I do a more statistical approach, adding strength, dexterity and vitality for each person I come up with total values for a fighter. Kol comes out on top (if you can overcome his early stamina problems) with a value of 144. Bane is a more balanced individual with a fighter value of 141. Both of these fine gentlemen are true beasts of battle in a single game.
These games will never leave the heart of anyone who tries them. Have fun playing guys.
Slysar
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

I always play with one character, I just never liked playing with more than 1. I cracked game so I wouldn't start with zed, and I just solo'd game with Saros. i always found attacking worthless, all i needed was magic, I love magic :)

All you need is guard minions and your unstoppable, just solid equipment that increases ur mana.

Sly where do u live at in ohio, i live in huntington west virginia.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Actually the starting character in DM2 is Torham - Zed is in original DM ;).
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Well Ameena, he is called "Torham Zed", so Zed is his last name/title. Technically, BP's answer was correct.

(I just hope that I won't get into trouble for using the quotation marks, and I won't even start to mention that they seem to have a different meaning in my native tongue...)
Slysar
Novice

Post by Slysar »

Hey, I live east of cincinnatti. Howdy neighbor. I've been goofing with the dungeon.dat file alot lately too. If you got interesting dungeon.dat files we can swap and check them out. It's always interesting to see something new. I still haven't figured out how to get rid of torham.
I think the appeal of this game is somewhat like MMORPG's today: it gave the player a sense of freedom. A world you could stomp around in unlike other linear games. Dungeoin master games do seem like the mother and father of all these days the way you equipped the characters and developed them.
Slysar
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

http://dmweb.free.fr/files/DMII-Misc-No_torham.rar
Thats crack that removes torham zed out of the party.

I'm still working on my game (check custom dungeon forum for more info) and I would let u see it whenever I get to a good beta point.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”