Shadowgate?

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Shadowgate?

Post by Sophia »

Has anyone played this game? :shock:

I've asked around a bit, and so far, it seems I'm the only one :roll:
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Sorry, I never even heard of it.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

... Nope.

Found some screenshots, looks like a Bard's Tale clone.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Do you mean the original point-and-click icon adventure on the Amiga, ST and Mac? Yes, I played it a lot around 86-87, as well as Uninvited -- I loved those games -- very simple but atmospheric at the time. I never played Deja Vu though, which was actually the first one... odd.

edit: seems like you can buy updated versions:
http://www.shadowgate.com/

And lots of info on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowgate

But I guess you might also be talking about this one, a completely different game:
http://www.landsofshadowgate.com/
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Yes, that's the one!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has actually heard of the thing. ;)
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Yes! I've played it on the either the Atari ST or the NES (I forget which), but I also had it on the Game Boy Colour too.

I loved that game, could never figure out how to complete it though.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Oh man. I was in love with that game, as were most of my friends. It's one of those games we still talk about like it was the best thing since air. Too bad the sequels completely sucked. I do have a Windows version floating around here, but I can't really get into it like I used to. I think mostly it's because the music is gone, and Shadowgate had some really creepy music.

I'm always thinking about making a true spiritual successor to Shadowgate. I have yet to find the initiative.
simaton
Neophyte

Post by simaton »

My childhood friend gamer and I rented Shadowgate several times before beating it. Got stuck on the stupid troll(?) at the bridge who required a gold coin to pass. I tried all weapons on him BUT the spear (stupid obvious answers). After several days of being stuck, I had the brilliant (for my kid mind) idea of putting the copper coin into the molden gold at the dragon's lair to "make" the gold coin to give to the troll but of course it wasn't programmed in.

We beat the uninvited but only with help from Nintendo Power(?) - yes we played the Nintendo versions (or SNES? don't remember).

Never got very far in De ja vu. Didn't like the atmosphere.

Those were memories.

Now here's one for you: have you ever played the text adventure Guild of the Theives? It was on the Macintosh back in the early 1990's (or late '80s).

MAN that was a hard game. Two years of playing and still didn't beat it. Only recently beat it after finding it on the net and getting some hints from the net.

- Simaton
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forum btw Simaton!
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

I know this is a really old thread, but I wanted to mention that I absolutely LOVE this game. I played it like there was no tomorrow on the NES, along with Deja Vu and Uninvited. Looking back, it was what I associated Dungeon Master to when I first saw it.

I thought, "Wow, real-time Shadowgate!"; and the rest is history. Of course, I played DM for the first time on SNES; which I gather is different from it's original release. Either way, both Shadowgate & DM scared the bejeezus out of me as a small child. In fact, the ghost from the SNES version of DM still scares me to think about. I can't explain why, but it just kinda sends a shiver down my spine when I think about it.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Oooh, if you like Shadowgate, and you like DM, and you like dungeons I've made, then I've got one for you. ;)

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=25796