Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

You should be able to kill them but if I remember rightly the only item that is worth grabbing on the underwater level is the "fancy-pants"
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

There are a few more, given out for solving riddles. A turquoise key (or is it a sapphire, I always confuse them) is always handy to have in your stocks. It's been so long and several versions since I last played Conflux, there may be other stuff as well by now.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Parallax wrote:There are a few more, given out for solving riddles. A turquoise key (or is it a sapphire, I always confuse them) is always handy to have in your stocks. It's been so long and several versions since I last played Conflux, there may be other stuff as well by now.
Hey Par, nice to hear from you !
What Is Your Quest ?
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Couple of questions:

1. How do I remove the curse of the Liche?
(Even ratsteaks have lost their flavor. :lol: )

2. Any advantage to killing the guy in white robes on the sewer level?
At least I think that's the name of the level.
The guy who keeps telling you to pray for a miracle.

3. P.S. Still hoping for suggestions about the two corbums I have.
I don't know how best to use the oven.
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

1. The high priest of the temple may know of a way, although you might find you only get the secret over his dead body.

2. You can't kill him (i don't think), and there is no benefit. Have you prayed for a miracle yet?

3. Corbums - personally I make a dragon spit and a zo liquer...umm, i think.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

beowuuf wrote:1. The high priest of the temple may know of a way, although you might find you only get the secret over his dead body.

2. You can't kill him (i don't think), and there is no benefit. Have you prayed for a miracle yet?

3. Corbums - personally I make a dragon spit and a zo liquer...umm, i think.
RE: 1. I've visited the temple area, and there are two energy doorways that I haven't figured out how to open. Is the high priest inside one of those doors? If so, I've about 'scratched my head bald' trying to figure out how to get those two doors open.

RE: 2. I don't know if I've prayed for a miracle or not. I've waited around to be teleported a bunch of times. Some miracle. :roll:

RE: 3. I was afraid those were the only two things left to make.
If so, let's all say it together...Let down. The dragon spit only shoots a few fireballs and then goes out. :cry:

P.S. What good is the extra ZO liquor?
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

1. No, there is an obvious open area that mentions the high priest, then a special vexirk starts attacking you from the safety of his alcove!

2. Well, it's as good as you are going to get there. That and the miracle of not being poisoned!

3. WEll, the fun is in making stuff that's cute, why would it need to be uber-powerful? And that dragon spit fireball should be powerful, so you've wasted somethign that could get you outta trouble!

I seem to recall the zo liquer being useful in making something else, and also useful to solve a puzzle...
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

If the Vexirk is the name of the little guy, he's already gone on to his reward. :)

I picked up the 'key?' in his alcove, after that fight.
I figure you're talking about the 'flying snake' section, right?
I may have to revisit that area, if I can locate it,
since I'm still finding areas by accident, many times. :roll:
(I hate mapping, so I suffer)
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Thats' the area, the little guy should have 'high priest' as a spoken text somewhere, and he should be in an alcove with a nice stained glass window behind him.

Look carefully around, look for somethign unusual but with a recogniseable shape, then do what comes naturally :D
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Beo is right, but the main reason for making liquor is that it tastes GOOD! (hint, hint!)

(P.S: Hi Jor!)
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Parallax wrote:Beo is right, but the main reason for making liquor is that it tastes GOOD! (hint, hint!)

(P.S: Hi Jor!)
Huh? I've tried the stuff. I didn't realize any 'long term' significance to drinking the ZO liquor. Does it do anything besides make you walk like a drunk? :?:
"Wuuf's big brother"
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Knowing zyx, it probably makes you an alcoholic and opens up the "Find the AA Meeting on level 27" subquest.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

:P Good one.
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Hey. I tried all four kinds of coin in the 'priest section' slot.
The 'one ring' is still cursed. Is it impossible to remove the curse from it?

I still find it hard to imagine that I didn't think of sticking a crazy COIN in there. :oops:

Looking forward to using the Furx sword, now that I can remove the curse.
Can I also duplicate the Furx, or will I just be given some normal blade?
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, I imagine it takes more than a little blessing to uncurse something THAT powerful!
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

beowuuf wrote:Yeah, I imagine it takes more than a little blessing to uncurse something THAT powerful!
Dumb thing keeps jumping into my hand. :wink:
My PRECIOUS! :lol:

It also leaves a very unwelcome effect on the poor sap who happens to have it in his/her hand.

So, do I need to drop the thing permanently on the guild floor, or just until I figure where it might come in handy?

Also, will that 'coin slot' blessing also rid me of the curse of the Liche?
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes and yes!
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

SAR wine gets you drunk, ZO liquor gets you... well, just try it. And the power of the liquor matters for the effect. That is, if the effect hasn't changed since the last edition I played.

As for unique items, duplicating them did not reproduce their unique properties, last I tried.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

The ZO liquor seemed to drop the last three strengths in my list.

May have changed it.
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I've been wondering about a scroll for awhile now.

HLOR U FANG
AXAXAXAS MLO

That's what appears to be on the scroll.
Does this scroll hold some important clue? :?:
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I believe it is a semi-famous nonsense poem put in for feel - although there could have been a puzzle behind it.

Put a phrase in to google and I think you will find some things about it
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I googled it. Strange song.

Hmm. Would a group of googles be a gaggle of goggles?
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Decided on a second Furx (weapon duplicator).
It didn't duplicate the 'unique' abilities, but a free point of mana was a plus.
I'll have to see if it does more damage than the katanas.

Liked the room that shot all kinds of stuff at me.
I confiscated a bunch of magic slayers.

Do the crossbows and bows do more damage than simply 'throwing' the slayers?
I've always been a little leery of using bows and such.
One of those gigglers can steal the arrow out of your left hand,
and there you are, all empty-handed and all. :?

Got the fang, but noticed the dumb gates were then closed.
Unless the opening of those two gates is worth the time and trouble :?:,
I'm planning on leaving that 'fang' to rot. I already have one anyway.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

MasterWuuf wrote:Do the crossbows and bows do more damage than simply 'throwing' the slayers?
Yes, unless your strength is very high. If I remember correctly, a bow launch is the sum of the attacking power of the bow and the arrow. For a normal bow and arrow, this ends up being equivalent to a character with a strength of 60 throwing the arrow, though the actual algorithm is a bit different. For a slayer, the target strength is 78. I think ninja skill figures in, somehow, too.

DSB does it a little differently, and Zyx might have modified some properties for Conflux, so take it all with a grain of salt.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Thanks for the information. I hope they've changed it, since my weakest hero is at 52 (the power tower pants would get him above 60).

I was planning on letting my second row guys do some fighting anyway.
(To up their strength so they can lug more stuff around the dungeon. :wink:)

I really need to get my speaker problem figured out. The headphones work.

I'll try to get another set of speakers, to see if that's the problem.

Are those power transformers, down near the weapon duplicator?
Reminded me, for some reason, of DM2.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

Since I'm not really in the mood for researching who it was that created Conflux, I'll just throw this out there to you; whoever you are. I worked really, really hard to finally get that first flask; and then you had to go & change the potion spells on me. At first, I thought maybe I just sucked too much at priestly stuff, but I figured a craftsman priest should at least be able to make a 1st level healing potion. So it really steamed my cheese that I couldn't.

A few days later, I happen upon a little altar; the good kind that does awesome stuff when you put a buddy's corpse in it. Yeah, one of those. And I just so happen to notice the little runes engraved above said altar, and it all hits me like a train. It's really awesome how just seeing that one thing inexplicably made quite a number of things about this game make sense. There have been times so far that I've wanted to tear my hair out, but I am madly addicted to this dungeon. I tip my hat to you, sir. Or I would, if I wore hats; but it's the thought that counts.

I do have one complaint, though. Poisonous Trolins? Seriously? I can see you making a lot of things poisonous that weren't before, but suddenly my bloodstream is infected because this hulking mongoloid bashed my cranium a few dozen times with a particularly heavy stick? I understand it's there to increase the challenge, but it's really a stretch to buy that one.

Oh, and one other thing; will I EVER find something to let me fight incorporeal creatures? I've had the sweet-jiminy-christmas beat out of my by the likes of ghosts, weird "holy crap I'm on fire" wizard eye things, and my personal favorite; materializers.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I'm glad you're struggling and learning. This is the experience I aimed to produce in the dungeon.

Notice that when trollins attack you, they bash AND bite at the same time, which is a move amazingly hard to manage. (It can take years.)
so excuse them if they didn't find the time to keep a strict dental hygiene. Thus their venomous bite. The bashing is just here to distract your attention about their stale breath.
Trollins and antmen are naturally venomous in DM. The technology to disable this innate capicity in CSBwin is recent. They will be fixed for next version of Conflux.

As for fighting immaterial beings, it's an interesting question. Let's hear which early tactics the other players have found.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I like the Trolins in C3. They send a bunch of usable ammo.
"Thanks old buddy, here's a few back at you." :P
"Wuuf's big brother"
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

Thanks, Zyx. Actually, I completely failed to notice that they were biting me as well; that does make sense. Oh, and I just found a "Voidness Edge" or something of the sort. In any case, I know what that weapon is for; so I'm off to get revenge on those purple materializers by the vi altar.

Speaking of, I think it's neat how you changed the colors on some of the creatures. Kinda gives it a "familiar, yet new" feeling. There's also a few messages I've found on the wall that I'd like to ask about, but I'm just not sure yet if they're hinting at a nearby puzzle or there to mess with me. Mostly I'm referring to the ones on the same floor as the High Priest, the Iron Citadel or something like that.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Early tactics with materialisers include 'running' 'hiding' 'crying' and more running.

Yeha, until you ge tthe voidness edge, or until your wizard is powered up enough you can experiment to find the new immaterial spell, then I think you can avoid all the areas requiring the death of immaterials until you at least can nab a few staves with dispel spells

Lots of those temple texts are flavour text, there is the odd inside joke, but some are also great hints for other things.