freeciv

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

freeciv

Post by Adamo »

This is an old "Civilization" Open-Source serie (1st and 2nd parts):
http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
I always loved to play Civilization baaaaaack in the days:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujJ7wftT ... 4&index=13
on this video, guy is playing first part in a DOS mode.

As for the newer parts, I just hate them. I hate those resources-eating modern iso 3D graphics. I prefere simplicity. 1st and 2nd parts are rather old ones, but still hot!

I always had a sentiment for this game.
I think the 2nd part was the best one, but as for the graphics, I preferred those nasty-looking "old school" tiles from first part rather than iso tiles from second part (that always annoyed me).
I always wanted to play Civ part 2 game in Civ part 1 mode.
But Microprose never gave me that possibility.

So, I made a CivWin tileset for freeciv (it uses units from 2nd part to adapt it for playing Freeciv in Civ2 mode).
Now you can play Civilization2 game using Civilization1 tileset.

Anyway, I decided to take tiles from CivWin, because they are 32x32x64, much biger ones, than those 16x16x16 DOS tiles (though DOS tiles looks much more "classic").

Here`s the image (don`t know how to put images on the forum, so I gave the link):
http://odsiebie.com/pokaz/1322279---c55f.html

It`s not finished yet (beta version), so some "special resources" looks very ugly!!!
http://odsiebie.com/pokaz/1322142---6b80.html
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

I think Civ got better with each part, especially in balancing, AI and user-friendlyness.

It took Civ4 until beaker overflow was handled properly and ZoCs in part 1 and 2 were simply annoying and pointless. Not to mention stuff like "wltk growth partys", caravan wonder rushing (and everything else about caravans) and game breaking world wonders (like leos workshop). Not to mention paying upkeep for buildings instead of cities. I could go on for hours like that, simply because i love Civ and how it evolved :)

Still every part was awesome as long as it was hot.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Nice thread :)
The complexity of Civ 1 was amazing at that time and I loved it sooo much.
Civ 2 was already with scripts, wasn't it? And those were pretty buggy in the beginning.
I remember I made a brandnew set with lots of funny dialogs, but I never tried to change the values and make a real mod.

And yes, I was also such a caravan-rusher until one showed me in a netgame that there are much better sequences of wonders :D

Funniest bug - having the spaceship ready in 16xx in easy mode, never landing, because it didn't fit in the timestep-scheme ;)

The sourcecode is worth a look!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Freeciv doesn`t have a sourscode of original Civilization; it only attempts to simulate Civ1&2. It`s just like Sophia`s DSB; not an original code, but close enough, and ultra flexible! Plus some AI stupidities were fixed.
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I just loved Civilization I, only Master of Magic came close. Then there was Alpha Centauri which I played a lot. I could never master these things though. I saw a friend play it and realised that once more, to be good you have to forget the passion and look at it clinically, mathematically even, and develop the same routine of building a certain way to smash and conquer.
I bought Civ IV... And played it only once. Very pretty!

I can recommend FreeCiv if it follows the mystique of Civ.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

It's like Adamo said, very very close to Civ2.