[DIFF] Quiver behaviour

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lubor Kolar
Artisan

[DIFF] Quiver behaviour

Post by Lubor Kolar »

In DM, I was able to put small and large-sized weapons in the first quiver slot and just small weapons to other three quiver slots. When ready hand threw an weapon, the first available weapon in quiver jumped in the ready hand.
Let's say arrow is in ready hand and quiver looks like this:

Code: Select all

club      rock
dagger    dart
After firing an arrow, club jumps into the hand.

In DSB, this scenario makes rock to jump into the hand and club remains in the quiver. It is intended or the bug?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: [DIFF] Quiver behaviour

Post by Sophia »

This is intended. To me, it was always annoying that you'd get the melee weapon instead of the other items to throw. So I made DSB give you the missile weapons out of the quiver first.

In the case of a club, it could be a slight problem because you might be intending to throw the club instead, though.

Of course, as with all deliberate differences from DM/CSB, whether or not it's good is something I'm willing to consider opinions on. :)
Lubor Kolar
Artisan

Post by Lubor Kolar »

OK, I never found any missile weapons worth using. Caused damage was usually too small compared to the time needed to look for, collect and put in the quiver/inventory thrown missiles.
My favourite "configuration" was melee weapon plus flask in the hands of front characters and flask + items like map, magical box or staves in the hands of back characters. When I started to play a hardcore game and any damage counts I use throw weapon in ready hand to attack from the distance and main melee weapon is in the quiver so when I see an enemy I am ready with my close-range weapon. That's my gamestyle and that's also the reason I found this problem. I started DSB-DM with reincarnated Halk only and I tried to kill the first mummy but no backup club jumped in the right hand...

BTW you are wrong saying that "DSB give you the missile weapons out of the quiver first", because DSB will give me the missile weapons out of the quiver ONLY. Just try to have one club in the hand and other club in the quiver. Throw the first club and backup club never arrives.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

If I may say this, I find things which are different from the original (for me that is AMIGA version) annoying to say the least. With DSB I have actually the hopes that it is not that bad. I am positive that you can change the main program to act just like mods do. You will not have the one dsb, but different dungeons that could differ greatly from each other. These changes however, should be evident and be explained in a .txt file or something.
concerns:
throwing weapons, weight attributes and throwing distances
anti fire

these game balancing questions have a huge impact on game feel and game experience.
Just my 2 pence, hope it does not sound too arrogant. It is good to change sometimes (you can see this with clothes) but dm is the holy plate mail +10 that grants str, dex and a-f some boni and has an charm person spell included.
oh well, I hope you get the idea.. changes should be optional and not forced. BUT after all it´s Sophia´s baby..I would say sort of a shape shifting baby...;)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Lubor Kolar wrote:DSB will give me the missile weapons out of the quiver ONLY. Just try to have one club in the hand and other club in the quiver. Throw the first club and backup club never arrives.
That's a bug.

I can fix that part of it soon, because it's not doing what I intended for it to do. The other part of this-- whether what I intended for it to do is the "right" thing-- remains an open topic, and I'd love to hear more opinions.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think it is a logical move. It always annoyed me that you got one weapon throw then a melee weapon, when you would want to use up your quiver first then move on to hand to hand.
iGame3D
Novice

Post by iGame3D »

Lubor Kolar wrote:OK, I never found any missile weapons worth using. Caused damage was usually too small compared to the time needed to look for, collect and put in the quiver/inventory thrown missiles.
Seriously? Throwing things is how you level up ninja skill. If you throw EVERYTHING you find around the dungeon
throughout the beginning of the game you can level up all your characters ninja skills. Its a bit of a cheat.
You just keep tossing stuff without putting it in your backpacks and switching out your leader character
every time he/she levels up.
Once your ninja skill is nice and high, damage from even a thrown piece of shrieker meat is awesome.

Melee weapons are so...uncivilized, unless you throw them for the kill wooohoo!

I've gone through the game smashing monsters from a distance...with meat and clothing.
Super great when you have room to retreat backward or outflank a beast and can stay one step away
from a monster and beat them to death without every feeling the sting of their attack
or going into your inventory for more weapons because you just grab them off the floor.

Ninja power, go turtles go turtles...er...excuse me.

If I had a "everything in all the the inventories flows through the quiver" hack, oh yeah, I'd be unstoppable.
Lubor Kolar
Artisan

Post by Lubor Kolar »

iGame3D: Of course I trained my characters with throwing items. But as I wrote - as soon as my characters grown a bit, I found throwing and collecting projectiles to be very time consuming and doing just slight damage.
Some years ago I tried to be familiar how effective different actions are, how much experience you get for it etc. and I modified CSB source to get detailed information about this so I don't think I have no idea how much damage screamer slice thrown by high level (is LO master high level?) ninja does.

Because I like hardcore gaming (http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 57&p=81875), I will try to finish DM avoiding casting attack magic and fighting with melee weapons.