New DirectX9 DM clone - entombed

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Hi guys. the project is stopped at the moment. I have done a number of small things since the last release (new character sheet design, improved collision detection on creatures, got it working in vista and moved to .net 3.5 for learning purposes). But I simply dont have the time at the moment to finish the project. Sorry.
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

Hi, DSE it's nice to have you here after a while!

Don't worry about the halt, I guess everyone else has a Real Life out there and, speaking for myself, you are not the only one to have a dream project to code down, but differently from me and others I do know you at least managed to bring a demo to life!

So, again, don't worry, live your life and come back to implement Entombed as you have more time and brain energy to spend.

PS: I'm going to change PC soon, I'll tell you if I have more luck running your game on the new hardware!
Don't let a closed door stop you
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Thanks and good luck !
DSE
Lo Master

Re: New DirectX9 DM clone - entombed

Post by DSE »

Two new videos on my website. I have started tinkering with this again after playing DM for the 1000th time :O) I have now incorporated soft shadows & self shadowing which adds a little extra to the environment. Also, the game can now be played as an FPS or a flick screen. Thought I would let you guys know.

PS Still looking for a 3D artist to create a creature for me. If anyone wants to make a couple of quid or do it for free :O) then contact me or post on here. Cheers.
Moonhawk
Novice

Post by Moonhawk »

Shadows are good - glad to see this is still in progress.
Ultramarine
Apprentice

Post by Ultramarine »

Hi DSE!

Do you still new 3d artists for the project?

I'm interested to jump in but only if the project is going to be finished and marketed some day.

Some questions:
- Do you support normal mapping on characters?
- How does the animation system work?

Regards,
Ultramarine
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Yes I do. Its a big commitment for me to say I will definately be selling it eventually and so on. Can I start by looking at some samples of your work please.
Ultramarine
Apprentice

Post by Ultramarine »

Sure! Just give me some time to put up a small site with images.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

No problem. To answer your question about the animations. Its quiet basic really. The ones I have already were created in 3DS Max 8 using about 30-40 frames for each anim (each saved as a separate file). The animations required are things like - attack 1, attacke 2, turn left, turn right, walk forward, etc, etc. It is not a rag doll system or any other fancy thing. I then use polytrans' exporter from 3ds max to create .x files which I then merge and import into my engine. The creatures I have are all animated using the (pardon my ignorance of 3d art packages and animation techniques) 'bones' system and skinned in 3ds max. I actually paid a stupid amount of money for the ettin that I have in the game at the moment. But it was worth it as I got to learn loads about animations and so on in game engines.

Lastly, using my limited amount of skill with 3ds, I added spheres on the major limbs/bones for the physics engine and named them all 'physics_nn' where 'nn' was a numeric counter. The program then hides any elements named 'physics_' and uses them to create physics object for collision in the physics sub system.

Simple really.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Sorry, additional ....

Yes you can supply textures for color and normal mapping. I would prefer maps for relief/parrallax occulsion mapping though.

Thanks.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

This is good for creating relief maps, etc

http://www.crazybump.com/?detectqt=false&
Ultramarine
Apprentice

Post by Ultramarine »

Yeah, I know Crazybump. It's very cool for such things. Only the price tag is a bit steep, but the 30-day demo is fully functional I think.
Ultramarine
Apprentice

Post by Ultramarine »

DSE, i sent you a PM. :D
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

And I have replied just now. Sorry for the delay.

A little more update. I have completed my deferred lighting engine and I am looking at incorporating it into the game for spells (like fireballs, etc).

Cheers.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

New video showing the fireball test using deferred lighting. A new demo is coming out in the next couple of weeks or so.
Ultramarine
Apprentice

Post by Ultramarine »

Hi DSE, hi to all other readers and developers,

I'm a graphics artist (2d/3d) and I'm promoting a full-fledged team to get Entombed rolling.
We would require a design document splitting up the game in small design chunks. Story can be marginal (unless someone wants to write a cool story) but a design and progression for the levels is required so that the game builds itself up nicely (like DM) - this requires teamwork.
With a design document it's easier and more structured to deligate the work to each person.

www.livemesh.com could serve as platform to synchronize the project.
some kind of private message board or messengers with chatroom support would enable us to communicate the project during the progress and discuss changes and features.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

I love your enthusiasm my friend. I just hope some of the 2D/3D artists on here actually show an interest. We will see :O)
Ultramarine
Apprentice

Post by Ultramarine »

Why not ask on other boards? there is, for example, cgsociety.org ("Collaborative team projects sub-forum") This would expand the possibilities.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Mainly because the game is just a test bed for me to learn game programming techniques. I never really wanted to take it to the next level, so to speak. I was just looking for a 3d artist so that I can get some more creatures and objects in there. Then if the response from the community was high/good enough I would look at taking it further. For the record, it has been downloaded all over the world (including some guys at Microsoft) and even used as a case study in a canadian uni. Its all good fun and thats how I would like to keep it. Unless someone is offering 2D or 3D artwork and really wants to put the effort in to finish it, it probably never will be.

Doing an on-line demo and releasing a completed product that people buy are two very different situations. I am not sure I have the time to do the latter.
Ultramarine
Apprentice

Post by Ultramarine »

I think the game concept is still very original and would drag a lot of people into the game, not only oldschoolers or fans.
I'm of a kind who wants something to be done and polished until it's ready and finished. I don't mind putting a lot of my free time into a project like Entombed but it has to mature. You know, I've done many "tests" and tech-demo projects as well but they don't lead anywhere, really - they're only good to learn, but you can also learn from something that might have a future - like something that is going to be finished.

I know that the step from a small demo to a full-blown game is a big one. But it might be worth it.

I'm 31 and luckily in a situation where I don't need to work at all so either I decide to attend to some kind of CG/Game company or put all my strength into a "personal" project - but it has to be a kind of professional project...

If you think there is a chance of setting up a team and let the baby grow, please let me know.
Last edited by Ultramarine on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

hang on, hang on, hang on .... you dont *need* to work. Thats awesome, how have you managed that :O) Are you a lottery winner ?

:O)
Ultramarine
Apprentice

Post by Ultramarine »

I'm living in a free community and I don't have to pay for my home and food. It is rather strange how my story goes but for now, it's all good. :D
This is also why I can offer you my free time and passion for game-development.
Moonhawk
Novice

Post by Moonhawk »

I still have some objects kicking around from the last time we spoke if you are interested. Dont have any characters, but quite a few weapons, keys, rings, potion bottles, shields and magic boxes.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I like the ambiance and possibilities of the engine. Do you already have a level editor to toy with? Also, would your engine work with outdoors scenes?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

let me know if you need some plants... in fact I've been creating some new textures too. With normal maps. It's possible you'll have some new objects in your future ;)

just need a scale reference for walls and such and I'll get you a few OBJ's to play with..
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Artists eh ;o) Like bloomin buses :O)

To be honest friends, I need creatures. The reason is I am trying to test some changes to my skinning renderer. I will take any objects/artwork/etc gladly and will use it eventually, I am just not ready for it at the mo.

Moonhawk - Hello, nice to see you are still active on here. I will come back to you when I need the objects. Just snowed under at work and then trying to complete the skinning/physics renderer in Entombed at the mo. The object renderer is complete as its simpler than the creatures so slotting in any items should be straight forward :O)

Cows - For reference - my walls are 150 units high in MAX. The floor quad is 100x100. Hope this is what you are after. You can make me a Zombie/Dragon/Skeleton/Scorpion now if you like (dont worry just kidding !!)

Zyx - Hello, glad you like it. The game is looking rather nice now, the rendering is getting there. The engine would work nicely outdoors but it would have to be a canyon or forest or similar (it would still be quad based for movement so ...). In fact, a forest would be awesome !!! You could have lanterns in the trees which would light up the branches like the walls in the current scenes. Errrrrmmm.

Thanks guys,
Dave.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Zyx - Sorry forgot to mention, yes I do have a level editor. Its a bit quirky but it works. I cant release it at the mo because there are known limitations of the rendering engine that you need to know about before creating a level. Hopefully one day I will release it (hopefully).

Can I ask what GFX cards you guys are currently running ?

Cheers.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You can ask, but I'd be ashamed to tell you. It can't run Entombed, put it that way!
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

ok :O)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Graphics card? Who needs a card? My motherboard has
VGA capabilities built in! Honest! Sound, keyboard, and
mouse, too!