Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Post by beowuuf »

Some monsters, in classic D&D traditions, are not affected much by slashing and stabbing weapons!

For the pit, I think it may be more a matter of timing than anything else. Also, the range has a slightly random component, so a weaker character may well need to throw a few more to get that extra square.
cicobuff
Novice

Post by cicobuff »

Thanks again beowulf. I was being silly, I forgot that I needed to throw through the gated door which I did the first time around. Remembered it when running around evading the huge minotaur. =)

Btw, is the minotaur killable so early in the game?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The minotaur would be killable, but you it would involve alot of plinking away at it. I don't believe spells are too effective. Certainly, don't go beyond the pit/teleporter puzzle with it anywhere close by.
cicobuff
Novice

Post by cicobuff »

Yea, the minotaur seems way too scarry at this point.

I have gone to the MIPS level puzzle now and I am stuck, which is strange because the first time around (my last character) I remember solving it easily. If I am not wrong, I chopped the 1st door, then cast my influence and side stepped etc to go past this. But now I just cant seem to break the door. Furthermore, the sound suddenly turned itself off and I am unable to hear anything. A reload restored the sound. Is this a bug? Or am I mis-remembering the solution I used?

I'm playing on Linux using Crossover Office. So it may be the fact that I'm not running CBSWin natively on Windows. I'll go check out on my Windows Machine later.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think the whole cross-over thing might be affecting your sound. CSBwin using directX to manage the sound, so the new/old version of that may ave a bearing.

As for MIPS, it sounds like you have the solution correct, but perhaps your strength is a little too low right now compared to your previous run. The Precision and Strength part need an item to get through the grate and then to be strong enough to throw another item quite far. So make sure you are throwing items like arrows to start off with, and keep throwing to get that random chance of bypassing the grate
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
cicobuff
Novice

Post by cicobuff »

Thanks again beowulf. I guess it may be my strength then.
Actually Crossover supports DirectX9. And sound was working until I started bashing the door :(.
Anyway I guess I'll have to skip the MIPS level for now and try the sewers level. I've also started adding notes to the wiki/level. Seems that the initial wiki entries (lvl 1) are very helpful to noobs like me but the later levels are not as comprehensive. Is it a decision to leave it really vague or just that it's not complete.

I dont want to start contributing notes and piss everyone off because it's intentionally left vague to add challenge. If so, it'll be best to put in a disclaimer to say so, so that no one mistakenly go add entries to reveal too much spoiler info.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

It is my opinion that we should add anything we can discover
to the wiki. Nobody is being forced to look at it. This game
is challenge enough to survive anything we can throw at it.

Besides, I know from first-hand experience that this is not
the LAST of Conflux. I got a couple of requests for
new features just this week. (&DELeting DSAs? What
is that man up to now? Sounds wicked.)
cicobuff
Novice

Post by cicobuff »

Glad you cleared that up Paul. Great work on the engine by the way! Fantastic piece of work!

I've started to add notes to the wiki (levels/map) and will try to add more as I come across stuff in the game (when I don't miss them or forget about them in the thick of the battle).

Another Conflux? Oh my....
cicobuff
Novice

Post by cicobuff »

I have a few questions for you gurus again.

1. The Anemone in the sewers. The wiki did not list them as having poison immunity but it seems that my poison clouds are not effective against them at all. Are they immune?
Edit: Ok, killed them with melee. Seems immune to poison.

2. The water elementals in the sewers. There are heaps of them. Are they generated some where? Can't seem to get rid of them , making them fall through grates etc and they still keep coming!

3. The Mud Man in the Sewers, blue mud man... ={ . Is he killable? Looks damn scarry....
Edit: Ok, killed him. He looks scary but is in fact puny.

Also, should we list the estimated hitpoints of the monsters in the wiki? To give an idea to noobs like me how tough and difficult is it for them to take on the monster?
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

cicobuff wrote:should we list the estimated hitpoints of the monsters
And effective attacks?

Again, if you have information and a way to share
it reasonably, then share it! That is what the
wiki is for. Historically, it started as a ConfluxIII
wiki and was expanded to include other games
and clones.

I cannot really add to the wiki myself because
I have inside information and I consider that
to be cheating. But anything you have
discovered by playing the game is
"fair-to-share". We will never know everything
about Conflux in the way we know everything
about Dungeon Master.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

2. The elementals generate from behind a door grate in the main room. I do not think you can turn them off in a conventional way, but you can stem the tied by standing on that square and letting the generator fizzle out. You will restart the flood leaving though. It may have afinite count on how many are generated.

3. A little tough but killable. Nm, just spotted you edit!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

cicobuff
Novice

Post by cicobuff »

@Paul Stevens
"We will never know everything about Conflux in the way we know everything about Dungeon Master."

Why not? Conflux is big but finite right? Unless you and zyx managed to sneak in random puzzle generator!!!!

@beowulf
Thanks for the tips again.

I've now opened up the priest, wizard, ninja guilds to their puzzles. But is still hunting for the mace to open up the fighter's guild puzzle. And I think I have hit a plateau in my progress. I am uncertain of what to do next.

I think I cleared out the cellar level quite throughly (thanks to the wiki). I also managed to get through the MIPS (needed 60 strength to hack that door....) by using strength potions. And have explored major portions of the sewers.

I dunno what to do next. Shall I proceed to the mines? Or the Crypt? or the scary sounding Temple? Without fireball, I feel quite helpless. In fact I feel damn underpowered compared to the mass of monsters lurking everywhere.....

Any advise on where to go next?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

DSAs are much less readable, and the man himself has forgotten some of the mechanics! So even if he releases an unencrypted version, there will surely be something subtle we all miss ;D

But yes, Conflux is finite

You should explore more the very upper level if you have not done so already? I know you got the kath vinegar, but did you manage to solve the four side areas? That will net you a couple of maces, another staff, a compass, and probably boost you a level of two.

Since you have taken on the sewer, you probably need to figure out the guild riddles to keep going. Have you figured them out yet? I'd get the items for those. The fighter guild aside, the rest should be easily obtainable where you are. Also, don't lose those rat skins. The fur trader might be useful to you aswell.

I believe the fur trader is in the dwarven level, but embarrassingly I have not found him yet since he was added!

Oh, don't be afraid of eating the pretty flowers in the sewer ;D You might find it very worth your while!

cicobuff
Novice

Post by cicobuff »

Thanks for the reply, beowulf. I am suprised you guys spend time with such a noob :P.

1. Ok, I'm not sure what you mean by the four side areas.
2. I managed to find a compass. Forgot where I got it, and I wasn't using the wiki to keep notes back then.
3. I also managed to find the Axe/Rapier trader. Actually found him before my restart and back tracked to him. He's position is also labeled in the wiki (not by me, but by another kind soul). I got the AXE, it makes fighting the dang monsters in the sewers MUCH easier with melee and a few strength potions to boost myself.
4. I "solved" the wizard riddle. As in looked up the hints in Oracle. But found out that the wiki is very explicit about the solution.
5. I also saw the solutions to the Ninja and the Priest riddles.

My current issue is that I'm not sure how to progress. Which area should I go. Also some of the walls are still blocked (in the sewers), I just cant seem to find the dang switches.

I cant proceed in the Minotaur level also (the area beyond the invisible wall) as I think I lack a key or something. I did manage to get the compass from beyond the devious screamer generator area (stepping onto some squares seem to teleport you to another location that looked exactly the same! Nice work there zyx and Paul!)

I'm currently putting notes into the wiki as I come across stuff. E.g. I added locations of the items found in grates etc. Will that spoil too much fun? Also adding estimates of monster's hitpoints into the notes (used melee weapons for estimation). Hope it's useful to noobs like myself.
Nervbert
Apprentice

Post by Nervbert »

Hi cicobuff,
nice to see someone who also discovered Conflux very late like me :lol:
I think it's worth clicking every grate in the walls, often you can find items.

@beowulf
I believe the fur trader is in the dwarven level, but embarrassingly I have not found him yet since he was added!
Really? Something you don't know? That cuts my hopes to find everything a bit.
You can find the trader
Spoiler
in the dwarven mines, marked at the map - there is a lift
like between
Spoiler
the guild and mine level
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It's more a case of having played the old versions so much that it's harder to find new stuff. I've clicked everywhere and looked at everything in previous games, so can get tiring doing it again when new stuff is added! I know the lift, didn't realise he was close to that - cheers!

Sorry, side areas I meant further areas in the guild.

If you are that far advanced then definitely take on the dwarf mines, the dwarf stronghold, or the spider lair. I think the temple might be doable now, I just find spellslingers a touch more powerful than their melee only counterparts in Conflux.

The sewers open as you explore then, so really you should be walking around once or twice to see everything and explore each nook.

cicobuff
Novice

Post by cicobuff »

Hi Nervbert,

Indeed, I find myself clicking on everything now. To the point of distraction actually. Which is why I'm also trying to update the wiki with the positions of items as well.

@beowulf, I also found another mace and a mace of Order (broken it says, I guess it needs repair?).

Now I'm Artisan at all classes. Does it mean that I should proceed to the next area? I think I've cleared as much as possible in sewers and cellars now. If so, should I do the mines or the temple? Or even the crypt?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, if you have a broken item, you need to bounce between the dwarf fortress and the sewers and solve the secret of the dwarf forge

After that, either the crypt or the temple seems a good place to go!

cicobuff
Novice

Post by cicobuff »

Hmmm stuck again. I'm in the dwarven mines. I think the oracle hints the doors to the Forge can be blown open (especially since there were 2 blast spores in an unreachable area guarded by a gate, hint by zyx I guess.)

Well, I tried putting a plasma and a spore on a ground in front of door and throwing another spore at them. As expected, there was an explosion. But what is unexpected is that the door still stands. Does it matter which door to the dwarven Forge is blown or am I doing something wrong here?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hmm, if there is that hint, it's a totally new mechanic. The secret of the dwarven forge in the past is why I suggested you needed to bounce between the sewers and dwarf fortress :D

cicobuff
Novice

Post by cicobuff »

@beowulf

Ok thanks. Got it figured out =). I wouldn't call that exactly bouncing. Not if I have a rope =), but i get what u mean in hindsight.
Is there anyway to reach the blast spores behind the grill? The forge is a great place. Found another mace and can unlock Expert fighter rank now.... Is there a level cap in Conflux? Probably UM master? Since there seems to be only 1 more mace needed to reach the end of the fighter corridor.

Also, will I be able to tell that a weapon is rusted apart from it having real sucky damage?

Another question is whether I need the rust I found. Since carry them makes my weapon rusty.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, there is - I think you can use like to get like, or you can use something else unstable, and if you can pitch it correctly there is a way to do it without taking any damage! That zyx is a clever one took a while to get the trick to the unstable plasmas!

As far as I know, the level caps are within the guilds, once the guild is fully unlocked, I think you can go all the way to archmaster. Maybe zyx made it you need the guidsmaster those those characters become more useful than just their ending?

Once you have decent priest levels, you can tell all sorts of conditions that affect your weapons. Also, watch out that sometimes sucky damage doesn't mean your weapon is damaged - sometimes it means you enemy is annoying!

I dont' recall rust spreading - is it perhaps the enemy you fought instead had snuck in some blows against you weapon? There is at least one place where rust is useful, but you can obtain rust in that place anyway, so you can leave additional rust in the guild area.

I love conflux, I can never categorically say for certainty, as there can be things I missed, and things could have been updated to be useful :D

Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

cicobuff wrote:"We will never know everything about Conflux in the way we know everything about Dungeon Master."

Why not? Conflux is big but finite right?
Finite? Yes. So are the World's libraries. I claim that
Conflux lies somewhere between DM and the libraries.
cicobuff
Novice

Post by cicobuff »

Paul Stevens wrote: Finite? Yes. So are the World's libraries. I claim that
Conflux lies somewhere between DM and the libraries.
Indeed, meanwhile, we'll have to use the wiki to update all we can heh.

In the mean time, I've given up progress on the Mines. Stepping on the pressure plates (ONE,TWO, THREE,FOUR) don't seem to open up the walls leading up to the treasure. Also, I cant figure out the Beware Fireworks puzzle....

So I'm venturing into the crypts. But I'm getting slaughtered by the zombi. So much for being an Adept fighter.....
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There you are wrong! If you have pressed them in the correct order, the way is open. Just dwarves are sneaky with their treasure, and you may have to go against common sense to find it...

Beware fireworks, last time I played, was something cool. I am not sure what it has become since then.

Are you hitting the zombies ok? That might be an issue. There is a hint somewhere in the crypt as to a way to lessen their effects, though I'm not sure if you yet have the skills to put it to use.

If you can go beyond to the spider level, you might find it more suited to a fighter's talents

stewy
Craftsman

Post by stewy »

I have got the winged key from the tower of pits, I was wondering if some one could tell me where it goes?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You need to go aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the way back to the bottom, and solve the very bottom stairwell puzzle. If you just look at it for a while, you might get a hint as to what to do, when. Jumping down the pit to escape mampang tower is not the only way to get out!

The winged keyhole is beyond this, and takes you to the proper mampang tower to complete the quest

Nervbert
Apprentice

Post by Nervbert »

Hi!

I've read much, but I can't figure out how the Alchemists Alcove works or with what!
Please, give me a hint (or a cooking recipt ;-) )

THX, Nervbert
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Not sure where that is! What level / area are you at? What are you trying to do?

Nervbert
Apprentice

Post by Nervbert »

In the Wizard's Guild at 00/11/09 there is this alchemical oven.
And I can't figure it out.