Specific Character floor text

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Neilski
Novice

Specific Character floor text

Post by Neilski »

How do I get a certain character to set off a floor text?
ie - My dungeon consists of Gordon, David, Vincent and Jesus.
What i want to achieve is the party walking across a floor text square (near the polling station) and only 1 member of the party setting it off - for arguments sake I want Gordon to say something like 'Oh dear i have just soiled my breeches', should he step on the particular square. However if he has not been selected to join the party - or has commited suicide (even more likely) the floor text never shows up. How does one achieve this?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Specific Character floor text

Post by Gambit37 »

Your floor trigger should target a relay -- the relay should have a conditional check for party member = gordon. Can't remember exact terms, but investigate those options and it should make sense. The relay should be set to activate the text object. -- presto, member specific actions :-)

Methinks Gordon needs to change his underwear!
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

You'd need to use EACH_LIVING_PARTY_MEMBER for your floor trigger, not just PARTY.

Then, as Gambit said, target a WALLITEM_RELAY, with the top of the relay's conditions being "Triggering/Character" (right down the bottom in the list). For the bottom click on the check box next to character, and select your desired character in the list.
For the relay's target... a WALLITEM_SPEECH. In the speech's properties put your text in the box, and select the type "party".

As Gambit also said above, I believe that Gordon needs a new pair of underwear... LOL

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Neilski
Novice

Post by Neilski »

Marvellous - cheers guys, would have took me forever to work it out by myself. There will be more questions sooner or later no doubt, but thanks for the time being,

Coming soon - new dungeon - Gordon Browns trousers - probably a load of crap.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

All good. Glad I could be of assistance.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Neilski
Novice

Post by Neilski »

Similar question but slightly different specifics: Gordon, David, Vincent and Jesus are still in the dungeon but Gordon has comitted suicide - there is some text that I want David to say - but only if Gordon is NOT in the team - how is this done?

I have been buggering about with relays and think I know the ins and outs (Newbie to this editing lark) but can't figure this one out. Any help greatly appreciated.
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

I am guessing you would have a floor trigger operated by each dead party member, this targets a relay with Character/Gordon, targeting another relay with Triggering/Character and Character/David activating the wallitem_speech.
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Counters should be your friend, you can have different relays activating for different parts of the conditionals, and only if all parts are ok will the counter be decremented correctly and the message be activated
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!