most stupid and unappliable law has been adopted

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Re: most stupid and unappliable law has been adopted

Post by MasterWuuf »

Sophia wrote:I hope nobody tries to overthrow the US government while Obama is in power. He's already treated like some sort of messianic figure, we don't need to make him a martyr, too. Besides, the Kennedys would get jealous.
:lol:

It might, however, be the perfect opportunity for the Clintons to reestablish a foothold in the white house.
(er, or Al Gore, as a side jest, with all the 'late night' jokes about his desire to be at the presidential desk :o )

P.S. Was I all alone, or did anyone else get 'quasi-afraid' when Jan almost decided to ban herself??? :lol:

P.S.Again. Governments will surely continue to 'get in over their heads' in their desire to 'monitor and control' computer-based activity.

I keep expecting folks to discontinue 'leaving home' at the appropriate age, opting to climb inside a computer.
Last edited by MasterWuuf on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

MasterWuuf wrote:Jan almost decided to ban herself???
:shock:

Hey! What's that supposed to mean? What on Earth do you mean, "herself"? What... I mean - I'm not only a mighty pirate, but especially I'm a MAN. :P
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Blame MW for not thinking globally. Over here, Jan is a female name. :P
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Sophia wrote:Blame MW for not thinking globally. Over here, Jan is a female name. :P
Really? As in "real name", or just an abbreviation? I never thought about that, though, as I know a gazillion Jans and all are male (as Jan is a very common male name in the north of Europe, especially northern Germany).
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

That's all probably because in English my name would be read "softly" (with "dz", like in "joke" or "John") - and this is wrong. For the proper pronunciation they would have to write "Ian".

Simply: Jan is the Czech version of English John (or German Johann(-es), Portuguese João :D ).
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Trantor wrote:Really? As in "real name", or just an abbreviation?
I think both. It's frequently used as a short form (for Janet, etc.) but I think it's sometimes used as an actual name, too-- Jan Brady comes to mind. :P
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

*sings* now here's a story.. of a lovely lady... in an a place going offtopic on it's own.. everyone has played their parts.. like a family.. the youngest one in curls... 0_o
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Jan wrote: I suggest using "defenestration" - it's Czech favourite way of overthrowing a government, most of European revolutions and wars started with Czech "defenestrating" their governments (e.g., 1419 and 1618). It worked, believe me. :)
"Defenestration" is some sort of anti-microsoft movement, right ? At least people get to have a last vista on the landscape before they die. :mrgreen:

Slightly more on topic: I must concur to Zyx and Linflas: the french government is really out of touch with reality, and things are going amiss not only in the webspace but in most sectors of society. I'm not sure how it will evolve, but if we're only just halfway into the crisis, I don't give much of Nicolas I The Tiny-Nervous.
What Is Your Quest ?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I didn't say anything about my opinion yet, Joramun.
I think most of our deputees are irresponsible, incompetent and ignorant about technologies such as internet. furthermore, they think about it with inappropriate, obsolete schemes.
As for the government, Sarkozy &co, I'm certain they were warned by their experts about the inefficacity of their HADOPI law. But it would be useful nonetheless to spy, control and punish internet users ad libidum. And HADOPI was meant to be only the touchstone of a serie of liberticid laws, like LOPSI 2, soon to be voted.

By the way HADOPI was more or less neutralized by the constitutional council. They still can warn about detected pirates, but nothing more, and even so, they must justify their spying to a third authority (the CNIL).
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

HADOPI was more or less neutralized
Yeh, but.....Laws like this, that are on the
books but not enforced, provide a much
easier path in the future. They no longer
need be debated nor voted. They can slowly
become the law of the land by simple neglect.
They can also be used for selective harassment
of people who have done nothing else wrong
but whom someone wants to locate, question,
or search.

Our laws over here in the colonies are full
of such things. They are referred to as
'Additional Tools for Enforcement'. Only
to be applied in special circumstances,
of course. Usually because a black male
looks like he could be carrying drugs so you
bust him because he was standing on the
corner for more than five minutes.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I agree with you on general terms, thoug I think this is not exactly what will happen in France with Hadopi.
The restrictions applied on the law were made considering the french constitution, so the law was really modified in its text and spirit. Which means that any other future similar law will have to respect the "constitution spirit", instead of easing the path for abusing laws.
As for the aplication of the law, it will now have to resort to judges, and judges in France generally interpret kindly the law, that is opting for the minimal punishment rather than the maximal.
As long as the application of the law has to pass through a judge, the french system is relatively fair and safe of abuses - but it is only a general tendance of course.
What's very dangerous are laws only applied through the executive power (ie, police or administration), like the "delit of sale gueule", the offense of having the wrong face as you illustrated with the black male.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Zyx wrote:I didn't say anything about my opinion yet, Joramun.
Sorry, I just inferred from the links you posted.
What Is Your Quest ?