The 8 Click Tabs?

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

The 8 Click Tabs?

Post by Gambit37 »

Can someone explain to me what the 8 tabs labelled "Click 1" .... "Click 8" are actually for?

How do these work? I assumed they are only matched for each subsequent click on the item? However, I was doing some testing setting all these clicks to do an action and the game went into an infinite loop and crashed the first time I clicked the item.

Are the clicks matched regardless of what's in the mouse cursor?
Trego
Artisan

Re: The 8 Click Tabs?

Post by Trego »

I am guessing you are talking about the Click Tabs under the 'Convert' option for Wall and Floor Objects.
This table is used for objects like: Wallitem_Fountain,
Click1=
New object stays as Wallitem_Fountain
Additional Action = Swap_Mouse
Object1 = flask empty
Object2 = flask full

Click2=swaps a empty water skin for a full one
Click3=swaps a almost empty water skin for a full one
etc...

So its not based on the number of clicks but more like a relay with 'or'

Note to self...sounds like an easy way to use a fireplace to cook food (change the poisonous ones to not so poisonous)

As for the last question, I'm not sure, may depend on the action chosen.
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Not just wall anf floor items but for other things like pickups and monsters too.

Different items have different clicks set, not all in sequence, and if you look at the Fountain in the outside area in DM2, the clicks are really quite strange.

It also seems like it might be setting some kind of "click zone" on the item to be clicked on. I've set up a cloned monster that has Click 1 set, but it only is matched if I click on the lower right hand side of the monster, anywhere else and nothing happens!

It's fairly bizarre....
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

No-one has any more insight into this?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Remember the DMII fountains also have to be able to release coins.And I know I wanted a clickable monster so you could, for example, pick up a rat :)

I must admit, Trego's commnets ring bells about what ultimately the click menu is used for, you just need to find out how to make that work I think.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

My "click zone" theory now seems to wrong. Weirdly, I don't recall changing anything, but my clickable monster now repsonds to be clicked anywhere. :?

In theory the click menus seem to make perfect sense, but in practice I get odd results. All highly strange!
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

beowuuf wrote:Remember the DMII fountains also have to be able to release coins.
Yeah that was quit interesting, after looking at the actions involved in the click tabs, the mouse actually picks up the items from another part of the dungeon.

To do this:
1 clone an item say a puddle, and call it 'items inside fountain'
2 place items in that location
3 in the click tab set new object as fountain, action move mouse to object location, object 1 set to the puddle (items inside fountain)
4 in another click tab set new object as fountain, action move object location to mouse, object 1 set to the puddle (items inside fountain)

This may be handy if you want a stash of items that can be picked up from many locations.
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, I don't understand why GG did it that way. You could just use an ACTION and CREATE_NEW_IN_HAND for those coins. Unless that action didn't yet exist when he built the DM2 dungeon? Of course, it works well for your stash idea.

I still think there's something a bit strange with the actions invoked from these tabs though. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, lol.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Maybe it never got more investigation until now. I know I never got back to the clickable monster. So perhaps you are finding bugs in the code? :(
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
b1llygo4t
Apprentice

Post by b1llygo4t »

i experienced something similar to what gambit was referring to with with "click zones" i uploaded an example dungeon in my post talking about interacting with dungeon without a champion in party. in it you can only click on half of at least one of the monsters (the one i noticed it on was the clone of the magic merchant)
potion? what potion?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Phew! I'm glad someone else has seen this and I'm not imagining things! ;-)