TIME'S CHAMPIONS: THE FINALE (STORY THREAD)

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: TIME'S CHAMPIONS: THE FINALE (STORY THREAD)

Post by Ameena »

Ameena looks up at Petal in amazed surprise.
"Your magic can let you see through the door?" she asks. "That's amazing - I suppose you don't even need scent to find your way through tunnels, then - you can just look through the walls and see where you're going."
As the map is then passed round, she looks at it, then points a small clawed finger at one point off to the left of the door (in the middle of the south wall...well, in front of the wall, not literally in it).
"This is where the...what's it called? Altar? The thing that looks like a sort of...shelf, or table, where you put dead people on to put their spirits back into their bodies. There was also a big box beside it with lots of things inside."
Of course, she doesn't say out loud why this might be of obvious interest, since A Certain Person might somehow be listening in. And of course, she also knows that the rest of the group are aware that somewhere nearby is the means to bring Helm back. But she decides she might as well point it out, so that they know why they must enter this room despite the lurking undead.
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

"Don't worry, you will be in action soon enough" he hissed at the king in irritation. He seemed to be showing even more eagerness than Westian could have imagined. Could this haste be due to a desire to avoid any mind control tricks by the priest? Or was it simple blood-thirst? (Sense motive on king was 18 + 5 = 23)

He listened in interest as Petal outlines the room layout beyond. Mummies. They had fought one before - he had been tough, but responded well when they attempted to set it on fire. He nodded in agreement when Ameena mentioned fire.

"Yes, fire works well against these creatures. That torch may come in handy." He then steeled himself mentally to enter the room. He grabbed his holy symbol tightly, and whispered a battle-hymn in praise of Larethian.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena suddenly remembers something - of course, it's obvious to her, but she realises it may not be the same for everyone else.
"Um..." she adds. "On the mention of fire, can you...um, remember to keep it away from me? I have...whiskers and things, you know. Murafu don't like to get too close to fire - it can keep us warm but we never light it ourselves and we never get any closer than we have to. It makes us nervous."
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Haynuus purses his lips and then discretely looks for any unnatural lumps in or around Petal's personage... He decides that If she IS carrying a darkstone then it's one of those 'in your face' places that everybody sees but fails to concentrate on for too long.

The mention of mummies distracts the half-orc and brings his mind back to the more pressing problem. He reckons that his swords are better than the torch he has against these things but still offers an alternative suggestion. "I can sprint in there, slap the corpse on the altar - BOOM! And with Masters Westian and Deephold's help to hold back the undead I could then whisk a semi-conscious Helm out of there again. It'd be quick and dangerous but fun!" added Haynuus (re-)animatedly.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

"In and out! No! Through!" said the Trolin King to Haynuus's comments, perhaps not understanding anythign else the half-orc had said.

Westian still could not work out why the king seemed to eager for violence, especailly given the water elementals' warning. Was he really so scared of the priest? Was something else going on. Was he just jealous of the rest of the trolins fightign at this time, perhaps worried if he was doing nothing, one of his lieutenants might use the

The rest of the Trolisn were fighting. The water elementals' warning. Westian had set all the rest of the Trolins, a sizeable fraction of the Trolin King's men, and all of his leaders that mattered, to attackign the blackskulls. Two thirds of them had not heard the warning. The King would not want to appear weak, but the king would surely not want the rest of his Trolins obliterated. And of course, would not want himself to be obliterated for those acting under old orders.

The King had no way to get a hold of his own men. Not unless his fastest and sneakiest Trolins could break through this short cut and get to the main group. No wonder it was Karda's group that was sneakign forwards, not Pullack's more war-like one. The archers and assassins were not movign forwards to attack, they were moving forwards so they could run off and stop the Trolisn from, so it seemed, being wiped otu.

If, of course, it was not already too late, and the four groups of trolins making a frontal assualt had not already spilled enough blood to anger the water elementals.

Anyway, good sense motive roll finally. That's why the Trolins are nervous. Interesting tactics Ian. Something for everyone else to think about!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena looks worriedly up at Haynuus.
"I'm not sure that's a good idea." she says, still speaking softly in case the undead behind the door somehow hear what she's saying. "I think...I think the altar might be...bad, somehow. I think Westian might want to um...do something to it so that it works properly. I didn't really see it too clearly the first time around - I think I was dead at the time."
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

Petal notices Haynuus staring at her, apparently examining her for something, but seeming to focus n one certain part of her anatomy.

She glares at him for a second and crosses her arms across her chest, trying to shield it from the intent eyes of the orc.

Hmph. Males. she thinks to herself, A time like this, and they only ever have one thing on the brain.

She listens to Westian and Ameena discussing fighting mummies, a creature Petal herself has never encountered outside of her studies, when she sees Westian get a worried and intent look.

"is wrong, what is?" she asks him.

Ok, I'm confused. Was that a general update, or an update to Westian's sense motive? IE does the rest of the party knowthis?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Update for Westian alone. How he choses to share/act upon the information is up to him! You guys have a room invasion to discuss!

As a warning, work might run long tonight.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

"If we can take out these two undead mummies now then we won't find them approaching us from behind much later... However, we will definitely draw the weeeeevil elf priest's attention if we do that." With that he moves over to the trolin king. "There are two mummies. Undead fiends. What could possibly go wrong?" he asks. He's not being facetious, just wondering if the trolins had some experience with these things. "And these won't like fire." he added for good measure.

The only alternative idea would be to open the door and throw oil or fireballs over them... Get Westian/Deephold to physically bless their cotton socks, and then shut the door again.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Westian whispers his suppositions to Petal, looking a little embarrassed. Glancing to Ameena, he also points out that the other Trolisn not here, creatign the distraction, may well be employing vigourous means of ensuring the blackskulls will not notice the intrusion of them all in to the priest's area.

The Trolin king seems surprised at being addressed. He tries to wave it off as if the matter is not important enough for him to deal with, looking to Pullack instead. "Cold as ice, solid as ice," said Pullack. "Tough bodies, need to smash."

Deephold is already hefting his mace, seeing Haynuus's speculative eyes on him. He can both turn them and smash them with his weapon, a valuable combination.

"Need to enter quickly! Keep going!" hisses the King to all.

So what's the verdict here?
money
On Master

Post by money »

"Ameena, can you talk with the water spirits? Can you ask if we can defend ourselves if attacked - no matter the consequences without fear of reprisal from them later?" Falkor thought for a moment... "Also - if whatever is behind this door attacks us first will the spirits punish them without the need for us to get involved?" - optomistic he thought!
raixel

Post by raixel »

In Sylvan, Petal says to Westian "Even if we got there fast enough to stop them, I highly doubt the bloodthirsty monsters would be willing to stop. Perhaps we can explain to the Elemental Ones the error. Or perhaps one of the OH spirits would be willing to go try and stop them. The beasts seem afraid enough of the elemental ones. In any case, now I think our main concern is the corrupted ones in the next room. Perhaps the grace of your Lord can turn them."

The pixie turns to the rest of the party and nods "A fireball, throw I can at them." Looking over at Falkor she says "Against the soul -less ones have you useful magics?"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena looks up at Falkor.
"The Water isn't here." she says, gesturing. "If it was, any of us could speak to it, as we can to the Air that is with us now. And those...mummies...are already dead, so we wouldn't be killing them. They're...wrong. They're just dead bodies whose spirits have already gone being made to walk around. And...wrapped in cloth, for some reason. Anyway, even if we were attacked by something that was alive, we don't need to kill anything. You never need to kill anything. There's always another way. We should just do what we can to get past without worrying about being followed or destroying Life. But the dead-that-walk aren't alive, so they can't be hurt because they don't feel pain, and it's not removing Life from the world to strike them down. I'll try not to get too close if you're going to throw fire at them."
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

"I'm with Ameena." states Haynuus. "And I'd like to be behind you when you throw balls of fire around as well." he thoughtfully added.

"I think we'll move to take on the mummies. Just to be sure that they don't attack our rear." he adds to Westian then to Pullack in orcish. "A few trolins up front would be nice after we've opened the door. But there's no need to fight to the death here. Let others take our place when we are hurt, we should."

OOC - I'm ready to open the door and stand near Petal if necessary.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

With the insistant hiss of of the Trolin King, and the need to not be caught by two powerful undead creature standing arguing in a corridor, Westian indicated for Petal to move forwards and prepare for a battle. Deephold nodded, apparently ready to have pushed the matter himself. He gestured for Aurek to join the two clerics. The combined might of three devotees of Larethian might well force the creatures backwards, perhaps even disrupt the dark priest who summoned them from knowing exactly what was happening.

Haynuus and Ameena had moved to behind Petal, who was floating by the door now, leading the way. Deephold seemed to rty and keep closest to the two smaller members who were now in front. Sir Farl left Ardur in Falkor's care, though Falkor ensured he was still close to what the pixie was about to do - for Falkor possessed the full knowldge of the wizard's magic, unlike the combined path of sorcery, that sometimes missed the subtler arts of either side.

Karda's trolins all snarled as the group got in the way of the mud coloured ones. Pullack perhaps took to heart the comment on defending the rear. That, and perhaps could not see a way to get infront of the group to take on the mummies. If, of course, he had any desire to.

The air elementals around all whispered and then grew increasingly quite. Aurek could hear their voices, all wondering what was about to happen when the door was opened, all excitedly chatting about the feel of the magic that apparently could make solid objects be - to the right eyes - as if they weren't there.

And then there was a silence.

And then, the door thundered open, and the smallest members of the group - and then the larger ones after that - were able to see the normal looking room, with the unnatural occupants. The air elementas hissed at the sudden drop in temporarture. The mummies turned and hissed as they felt life - in all its forms - foul their blazing red eyesight.

Ok, pushed you guys on in to the room - well, the front, anyway. Here's the map:

Cramped conditions, lots of ways this can go badly. It's kinda a fight, but not really - you have weight of numbers, but also the ability to get in each other's ways. Give me tactics and reactions, and skill checks in place of normal attacks. Keep actions to combat-ish length, but also give me the tactics and ideas behind it. IT's going to really be narrative combat. Where you can take damage. And I'll track damage.

No initiative though, everythign will happen in one confusing mess! Good luck!
raixel

Post by raixel »

Which 'a' is who? And which 'f'?

Before the door opens and the group runs in to battle the undead, Petal turns to Falkor and says 'Ok, Fireball I will farthest away the one is. Unfortunately not strong enough my magic is to hit both. The one closest, cast a spell on it you should."

She then looks to the two clerics. "Gives you the power of your Lord for the evil to hold back? she asks them. "If so, at bay you should try and keep them."

THe door open and the pixie flies through to hover above the table before putting her hands in the shape of adiamond and calling the mana to her will. Fire appears to race up her arm and collect in a puddle in her outstreched hand before she makes a throwing motion at the mummy and calls out "EEFULIR". The fire forms into a ball and speeds towards the mummy, growing in size as it does so.

e
EEFULIR (4d6+4=11) Stupid lack of anything above a 3...
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Haynuus stays silent to let the mages do their work but readies himself to leap in and assault those who would attack anyone in his party - even a trolin! There was just one thought that passed his mind - they were too close to each other.

OOC - A readied action hit roll (1d20+13=18, 2d6+6=17)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - I expect Ameena is the small A and Falkor is the small F, those two being the smaller individuals physically ;).

BIC - Ameena waits by the door, keeping herself low down and instinctively flinching as a ball of fire sails far over her head. She remembers the contents and the room and, lacking any kind of weapon beyond her teeth at this time, decides to try the same thing as last time, only this time with more friends on her side to help each other in the battle.

OOC - Ameena will generally avoid the battle-proper and instead try to get to that chest she opened last time. Here are some rolls if you need them - Acrobatics to dodge past any mummies that may try attacking her if she has to get too close = 22 (7+15). Perception for looking at the stuff in the chest = 21 (10+11), mainly aimed at "if it looks bad or givs off some kind of dodgy vibe, I'm not touching it". Ameena will try to grab what she can - if it's small enough to go into a pouch, she'll do that and look at it later. I can't remember the exact contents myself but basically if there was anything that seems like it'll do her any kind of harm from touching it (I know she can't sense magic like, say, Petal can, but she can do her best ;)), she'll try to avoid doing so.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yup, small A are Ameena and Ardur (Ameena on the front lines), small F is Falkor,large F is Farel and large A is Aurek).
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Ooh I hadn't noticed there were two small As...I'd forgotten about Aurek as well, lol.
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian tried to force his way towards the front of the melee, but conditions were awfully cramped.

"Foul creatures, your presence in this world is a perversion. Return to the embrace of death." He held his newly recovered holy symbol up as he shouted above the din of battle. Unfortunately the effect was somewhat reduced due to the fact that he was stuck behind Haynuus, having to hold the symbol above the half-orcs head to get it seen, and peer over his shoulder while standing on tip-toes to have any hope of making eye-contact with the creatures.

Turn undead was 7 + 15 = 22.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Aurek tried to push forward passed Haynuus, "Haynuus, can you please move? We're all cramped in here, and I want to cast my holy magics over those two mummies. But, I can't do that with you in my way." the now zealous paladin says, before trying to lightly push passed him.

OOC: If Aurek can get passed the crowd, then he'll try to turn the undead (1d20 = 11, not the best... hope it's enough)

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Haynuus happily steps behind Aurek. It was always strange to him that the religious ones were always standing at the front. The orcs usually had things the other way around thereby putting the peons and pawns first.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Turning is an intimidate effect now, so all you religious guys can stay in the back if you wanted!:)
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Maybe Westian should stay back, but I'm more of a tank than he is. As for Deephold, I'm not sure how "tanky" he is... but he's a dwarf and they're usually the tanks of all the races (usually make the best barbarians/warriors). And I've got 2 attacks per round, so again I'm the best choice to rush forward and attack... that and Aurek's MEANT to be an "over-zealous paladin" that does his best to hack up anything remotely evil (trolins being the exception here).

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Petal's fireball flew at the furthest mummy, taking it by surprise. Unfortunately, it appeared the ice caked on the creature was a solid shell, and while the fireball cracked it and made a satisfyingly scorched area, it did not combust and burst as she would have expected a normal dry mummy of this place to.

Sorry, Dolo's mummies don't have the fire vulnerability normal ones would!

Meanwhile Haynuus, Farel and Aurek tried to not get in each other's way and swarmed the closest mummy, looking to take it down. Aurek tried to throw his influence against the vile creature, however the confusion seemed to allow the creature to shrug it off, and it moved to beat the paladin. However, Westian's powerful declamation from behind caused the creature's pause, a pause both Farel and Haynuus took advantage of. Farel's blow shashed some ice and cracked bone still wrapped in cloth. Haynuus's own blow cut throguh it all, and the mummy let forth an echoing, distant bellow in pain.

Deephold tried to throw his righteous fury at the furthest mummy, but it barely faltered. However, Karda's Trolins swarmed in to the gap. Four of the mud-covered creatures took a moment to throw sharpened objects at the creature to varying degrees of success, before they were lead by Karda to an actual attack with thin bladed weapons. However, the other four of the Trolins moved instantly aroudn to the door, obviously checking on the exit to this place while the mummies were being taken care of.

Ameena rushed to the box she knew was in the corner of the room. She opened it before recalling it had been alarmed last time, however there was no screeching this time. Clearly it had been ransacked by the owner, for it was missing many of the items she recalled in it last time. Still, it did have the odd chain of small round stones, all connected to each other as if by magic, what looked like a black square of cloth now wrapped around a thin obsidian knife. There also seemed to be a thin black rod, about the length of an extended human hand, with small round knods on either end.

Falkor was left at the door with Ardur, Helm's body, and the Trolin king, his bodyguards and Pullack's men standing behind. Guree had moved forwards to try and cover Haynuus apparently, but could not get a clean shot. Ummack was quickly speaking to the Trolin king in trolin language, which Falkor could follow easily. He seemed to be urging the king to not split up the group, and to trust in Westian and Haynuus that they would not let the other Trolins fighting in the moutnain to come to harm.

Clearly the king was readying Pullack's men to engage the fight once Karda's men fully pulled free, once the door out was secured.

Falkor and Petal could also see that the table on by the door was almost collapsed from those running in to attack. However, while one bottole of alcohol had already falled, then seemed to be twomore small bottles that were so far surviving the jostling.

Ok, so closest mummy is being swarmed by Aurek, Farel and Haynuus. Ameena is over by the chest. Four of the Trolins plus Karda are swarming the other mummy,with four more now swarmed in the recess of the second door. I'm assumign Petal is just in the door along with Deephold, and both have a field of fire of everything (especially Petal if she flies to the ceiling), though both mummies are swarmed so it would need careful planting of spells. Especially for the one where Ameena is on the other side!

Falkor is just in the door, however money you can retcon an opening action, aswell as a new action when you update.

I'm still keeping this light in terms of a combat map, etc. Again, it's more a case of 'make your check for your action', even if that action is swinging a sword :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena grabs what she can from the chest, shoving it into pouches for now. She draws out the knife and looks at it closely, then, paws free as everything else has been shoved into a pouch, attempts to get close to the nearest mummy in order to lash out at its ankles and possibly cause it to fall over.

OOC - Right. Assume Ameena's taken everything from the chest as long as she can get it into a pouch. However, if anything seemed to have some kind of weird effect when she touched it, assume she leaves it where it is. Then she'll try to get into some kind of flanking position on the nearest mummy and hack at its ankles with the knife she just picked up (again, assuming it didn't do anything weird shen she did so). Attack roll = 16 (7+9, assuming knife has no bonus to it...also, give another +2 to this roll if Ameena managed to achieve a flank before striking). Damage...um...well as knives are usually 1d3 I'll roll that and you can correct me if it's something else. So base damage = (d'oh) 1. Again, if I got the flank and also if I managed to hit, add another 10 damage to that for my uber Rogue-stabbiging of doom :twisted: (4d6 and I roll two 1s, wtf :P).
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Haynuus shouts "Hold the fire spells!" after both seeing little extra benefit to them and hearing the smashing of bottles on the floor - thank goodness that it wasn't full of the stuff poisonous clouds were made of. He also noticed the four 'spare' trolins guarding the unopened door, and appreciated their work.

Finally it was a simple case of swinging while trying to avoid hitting people. Chop-chop! one of his trainers used to say. He never understood why he got them standing together so much while practicing until now - this was his first fight standing shoulder to shoulder with fellow comrades! He'd always taken part of skirmishing assaults or quite simply throwing a couple of spears and running away if the other side didn't do so first. Chop chop! (1d20+13=16, 2d6+4=9, 1d20+8=18, 2d6+4=16)

OOC - It's 2d6+4 right, and not 2d6+6?
raixel

Post by raixel »

Petal sees the bottles wobbling and dives for them, hoping she can get to them before they fall. They could have something useful inside.

DEX CHECK (If needed) DEX CHECK to catch bottles (1d20+4=19)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian accepted the fact that the room was too crowded for everyone, and also that there were people better suited to front-line fighting than him. Instead he manoeuvred himself behind Haynuus, Aurek and Farel. Holding one hand in the air he quickly recited the runes ONYAIR. Even though it could not be heard easily heard over the din of battle he felt the mana flow through him, and a faint shimmer extended around him in all directions.

So that is a level 3 shield, everyone in the 8 adjacent squares gets +3 to AC this round, +2 the next and +1 the following. Westian will try to maximise teh number of people he can cover, but will avoid standing directly infront of the mummies (even if he was able to).