so now it is CSB

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

You didn't forget anything on KU. If you did, you wouldn't even be able to access the Dragon Den. What Beo said, look into the chests...
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

The question is whether you have the power...
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Kebes
Apprentice

Post by Kebes »

Well, it seems i don´t have the power to get to those chests...

Let me specifiy: there is a key lock in Dragon Den. Do I need a key to open the doors to get to the chests, or is there another way to open the doors? It would be most logical that a specific key is needed - but which one?. The Hint Oracle says to "tease" a Dragon. I have tried that with poison clouds-nothing happens.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Something may be broken - ok, one last clue - the doors to the dragons are weak... something might be able to fracture them...
Kebes
Apprentice

Post by Kebes »

Ok, i am VERY stupid. Just ignore my last postings...

My assumption was that those dragons would have the power to cast a Mon fireball. obviously they don´t (enormous firepower, eh?). so i never tried myself...

And believe it or not, I just found out ten minutes ago before reading your last hint. Roaming in deep dungeons is a strange business sometimes.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That's why something may be broken - I am sure a dragon standing right beside the door should be able to blow the door open - the engine got broke in CSBwin so this couldn't happen anymore, but I had thought this had been fixed...
Kebes
Apprentice

Post by Kebes »

Things are going very well, I have 3 Corbi, from NETA, KU, and DAIN (without doing the first part from the junction. nothing can confuse me any more).

If I´d only find the DDD dor to ROS...

Small hints are highly appreciated.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah the Dragons' Den dragons definitely used to be able to blast open doors - just standing in line with one of their doors was enough to get them to try Fireballing you.
As to the Ros exit from the DDD...I may be getting confuzzled with Dain (as it's been a while since I played CSB so I can't remember the exact details) but there's a bit, I think, over to the right somewhere (from when you come up the stairs into the DDD) with some doors and floorpads and a Fire Elemental or two, and a button or a keyhole or something on the wall...I think you have to step on a pad around there that lets you through into that bit. But that might be Dain since I can't remember what the Dain entrance looks like lol.
I know there's a bit like DM's Zooooom which I'm pretty sure is Ros though.
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

The internal mechanics of the Ros DDD are pretty complicated.
What you have to know is that first of all you have to cross the dragon-infested illusionary wall maze and recover a special key from there.

Secondly you have to repeat the procedure from Neta, teleporting a skeleton behind that portcullis and kill it there, for example by casting poison bolts through the portcullis.

If you then go up back to the DDD again you'll have to push a nearby small hidden button.

When you have done all of this a pit in the DDD should close and allow you to proceed into the Ros part of the DDD.

In any case, if you have beaten Ku, you will be able to get to the Ros corbum too ;-)
Kebes
Apprentice

Post by Kebes »

Ah i remember Zooooom from DM...

Thanks for the hints. I may have done some of those certain things already, so it should go on pretty well.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

@Beo
I also think that fireballs from the dragons are broken somehow.
First I thought it would be because of the dragon's size , but all dragons have feeble fireballs!
Demons, Zytases and dragons all seem to cast the same strength fireballs - these are really too weak!
The fireball shooter in the zytases level does some damage!
so...
(ps: I started csb yesterday again after some years, and it is really cool!)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

it was the dragons i meant as being broken
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I do not get it.. Do you mean the fireball strength is all right, but the dragon would refuse to cast on the portcullis??!
Could you explain more, please, what do you mean with 'broken"
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Notice though that in RTC dragons do properly blast doors (at least they did last time I'd been there in V0.38 ).
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

About ROS in the DDD: This has become some sort of legend. Ignore everything Ameena said, since she was indeed referring to DAIN (no offense Ameena!). Follow the advice Lunever gave you - though it might be a bit different, depending on which version of the game you are running. I recently played CSB on RTC, and for some odd reason, I didn't have to kill a skeleton, the pit in question was already closed when I came there! Anyway, with Lunever's advice, you should be able to continue. From there on, the rest shouldn't be too hard.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I meant what you mean zooom - that the dragons did not cast sufficinet strength! Not knowing why this stopped being so, i said broken incase it was an engine bug : )
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Ahh, I see beo !:)
*cough*
:arrow: should we report that ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

People commented ages ago and nothing happened ; (
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I didn't have to kill a skeleton
You certainly need to kill the Skeleton. But you
can arrange that it happen automatically. He
needs to drop his weapon to open the door.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

In CSBWin, yes. But I was playing RTC, and when I came down from the hellhound corridor, the stairway ahead of me that leads to the skeletons was blocked off by a wall, and the pit to my right was closed. Weird stuff.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I had that pit already opened once too, but in a much earlier build. In my last game in V0.38 it worked properly.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Okay oops meh so I was talking about Dain then lol. But here's something I'm sure I remember right - the Ros key is the Emerald, isn't it? Solid for Ku, errm...omg what are the others...Turquoise for Neta? And errm I dunno...Ruby or something for Dain /shrug.
So if you find the Emerald keyhole then you know you're at the Ros entrance ;). But I think all four have the names on the walls anyway.
Getting the Ros corbum is an arse :P.
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

You got the keys right Ameena. ;)

I think I encountered the closed pit in v0.35 or v0.36. I also reported it to GG, so it is quite likely he fixed it in the meantime.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

BTW: If you should for some reason not be able to get into Ros DDD, no need to be worried - there is an alternate secret access to the Ros corbum.
Kebes
Apprentice

Post by Kebes »

Something is still missing. I have the key, I have the Skeleton blasted, I have pushed the secret button that switches off the teleporter in DDD...

and the pit which I think is the one hindering me from getting into ROS is still there. oh, and I am playing CSBWin.

I am at the point where I just want to finish CSB. aaaargh! :D

EDIT: got it!!! the pit is closed!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I thought it was the Dain corbum where you could "cheat"?
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

pit which I think is the one hindering me from getting into ROS is still there.
Did you present some item to the "Eye Switch"
downstairs?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Congratulations Kebes, that pit is THE legendary puzzle of CSB - at least in my eyes. I read dozens of letters in game magazines back then that all asked how to close that pit. You should be able to finish the game now!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

First , you have to get to that eye switch first . Took me some hours to figure out how to get passed that portcullis.
Once you are through, save the game on that spot and ask the friendly hint oracle- makes things easier

edit : just realized you already got it closed:
congrats!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Oh yes, the eye switch - I should have mentioned it separately instad of just taking it for granted by "repeating the neta procedure".
I think in most versions you can use any item for the switch, and while I'm not sure, I think in some versions it has to be the Mirror of Dawn, so I always use the Mirror of Dawn.

The one important thing that often is missed is ascending all the way through Ros and stepping on a hidden floorpad south of the illusionary wall maze, on a crossing in the middle of the dragon-guarded pits. This will teleport a secluded stone somewhere in the dungeon around in order to trigger some secluded floorpads.

Ameena: No, if you want to you can get the Ros and the Ku corbums together, no matter whether you ascend through Ros or through Ku. The Dain corbum cannot be accessed from outside Dain, but if you get the uppermost Dain starting point and take a special shortcut from "The Bridge" you can largely skip most of Dain including the Couatl room and easily snatch the ruby key.