[Custom dungeon] Nightkin [RTC] [Zed5Duke]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: [RTC] Nightkin

Post by beowuuf »

Spoiler
If you fel down a pit to the level below, then it isn't game breaking - game breakers give you a death pit I think

Do you have a chalice and a magic torch?

Have you explored fully everywhere? That was my mistake, there was a whole corridor I had not explored around the death gate.

Have you managed to collect the three gold coins yet to open that coin operated door?
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

EDIT: I found a track.
Last edited by Joramun on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What Is Your Quest ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

you haven't explored as much as you think - look on the floor, press some wall cracks, at least one old coin is easy to get

have you found the puzzle room that locks you in yet?
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I found the
Spoiler
20 %chance coin
I clicked everywhere !
What Is Your Quest ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

one down! look in piles of clothes for the second...actually, read the earlier hints for the third's location
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Spoiler
I looked under every tiny little cloth and opposite all keyholes I could find. The "don't press this button" must be a game-over trick...
What Is Your Quest ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It's not, you press one side to advance, you press the other side and you get dropped down to the other level (or killed, one of the two). I'll see if I have an old enough save to look around again...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hmm, sorry, all my saves are the level above :(

Wanna send me your saved game and I'll check it out for you?

beowuuf@yahoo.com
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Spoiler
dont press THIS button
second level coins: 20%chances pit, locked food room, under clothes (scroll "i found gold")
you need coins to get chalice, and to get magic torch you must win "game"
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Blimey ! I had forgotten the basics and how the escape really begins. This dungeon is now a pile of ashes (still hot from the big fire).

Rating: 7.5/10
Original, difficult, but not very crafty aside from a few basic mechanism. And short !
I didn't like the dead ends (literally), the skeletons are cool even though the blond one really surprised me (though bony, it had b00bs)
The end is rather... weird.

The stamina problem is a RTC levelling problem, I think : I had barely 30 stamina points while I had 200 health !!
What Is Your Quest ?
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

I've now completed it too - I had 300+ health, 100+ mana and, er, 30 stamina at the end which I agree was a bit surreal (the ending, not the stamina).

Overall I would give this one 8/10 - it certainly had me hooked, especially at the start. Lots of nice touches such as the lower case inscriptions and the door opening noises. I liked the consistency of monster strength and the lack of spell restrctions - just what I went for in Angel's Egg - when you are weak run, run, run; When you are strong smeg, smeg, smeg and use any magic you got :)

As for replayability, I fancy another go taking on the extra characters. There is plenty of food (er,well mostly slime and worm poo but let's not be too picky) later on and lots of equipment so a 4-character party should be a goer, apart from them starting on one measly hit point!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

hi everybody :)

had a go at nightkin and just finished, it was nice to play dungeon crawl, been a while for me. the starting room is not for newbies for sure. i found it linear, logical, flowing, the classes of equipment great, some of the doors were nicely done with rich opening sounds. the ending was great! maybe a few more different types of creatures for spice but all in all, for a short dungeon, it was fun. i thought the stamina problem was not one at all, it kept you from wasting steps and running away from your enemy to easily. i tend to fight with weapons up close. lots of those
***8***
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

I begin to build Nightkin2, already spend time to invent some brand new features of character selection. My three major ideas:

You start always with the same person and have lot of NPC possible join to team. But they all are dead! My idea is that you find bones which have name for example Miranda Bones, then you must put this bones into some resurrection device, well already i tested to put it into empty mirror, where appear face of such person, and should made special area "gallery" of empty mirrors.

Also i waste some time for other invention: character creation similar to Ultima, where you meet gypsy who shown you tarot like cards. For example 1 Harsh or Beauty (male female) 2 Bravery of Lore 3 Shadow of Sunray (four class: ninja is bravery shadow, priest is lore sunray) then 4 Richness or Pleasure (more equipment or more experience) I solved it by different teleports and card buttons, placed on unvisible wall, so they look like fly in air on fine background.

And finally idea about character selection screen. Its 18 portraits on one screen, they are face buttons on black background. Click on each teleport you to another part of dungeon where you are prisoned. Here is normal mirror resurrection, and you may find other mirrors to get rest of party.

Progress of this game is almost none, am just waste time on many weird ideas.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Zed5Duke wrote:just waste time on many weird ideas.
That's me all over. It will make your dungeon DIFFERENT, though :P
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

@Zed5Duke: Great! This is no wasting of time! Really! New ideas like those are desparately needed! It's better to examine new ways and try to find new solutions (even though they may become "blind alleys") than to produce tons of similar and monotonous dungeons! I like both the "Ultima" and "teleporting" solutions. Keep working on it! I'm looking forward to your new dungeons (and hoping I'll have enough time to play them...).
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

I am having another go at Nightkin which I played when it first came out. I am stuck on the first level. I have got through all the gas things in the corners and have opened up the grilled gate which is behind a pit with a lever on the right hand wall. Can anyone remember how to get over the pit to progress onwards. Many thanks.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Isn't ringing a bell. Any wall texts anywhere close?
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Yes text everywhere, but it is all coded and I don't know how to decrypt it.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Aha, then you'll need to go back to the start of the game and search around - there is a deciphering scroll close. Wait, I can't recall which code Nightkin uses. If it is three letter codes, you need to find the individual decoding instructions (or learn through error) what means what. Look for secret walls, and scrolls you missed.

If it's runes for letters, then there is a decode near the start, but I believe you can figure it out if you try anyway :)
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Thanks Beowuuf. I had completely missed a secret cell on the first level (which I am still on). This gave me the translation scroll which enabled me to progress past the pit and find another 2 keys. I now have 2 iron keys and 1 Key to B. However..........I still cannot find the key to the door with all the hyroglyphics on. (hope I spelt that correctly).
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Further to my last message - now proceeding and have got to second level where I am steaming along.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Excellent!