DM themed play-by-post D&D game : OOC thread

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: DM themed play-by-post D&D game : OOC thread

Post by beowuuf »

:( I'm guessign the worst and Raixel had to take off suddenly without being able to say. I'll go nudge the story forward ready for Ameena coming back, though not too far, and might let it hang on a cliffhanger for a few days. If everyone can spare a thought for Riaxel at a trying time aswell, I'm sure it will be apprciated :(
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Buff. I'm just glad that I have a 'quiet' life with only a couple of demanding kids running around my feet to help with after :=)

Good luck with your stuff Raixel!
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

Thanks guys. As I PMed beo, there was a mass communication fuckup and I literally had 5 mins to pack. So Im sorry I couldnt let everyone know.

At least its over now :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

wb!

I forgot to say, I'll be out all Tuesday, and I have my mother down from Friday until Monday, so this will be an interrupted and weird week of posting I'm afraid! Still, by next Tuesday we should be back to normal I hope!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

At Colombo airport right now...flight due to leave in about two hours, due to arrive in UK at 7:45pm UK time...probably gonna be too knackered to boot up the comp by the time I get back so most likely my next time online will be tomorrow at some point. Sri Lanka's been good though :).
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I won't be around on Thursday (St. Patrick's Day), so it will definitely be a short week of posting.

In other news, I see LB has not logged back in since Friday. :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, he did warn he might have net issues too, and he had logged back in previously for RTC stuff, so I hoped he might be around for longer.

Anyway, Aurek isn't dead so LB can still jump in if he wants if he's free.
raixel

Post by raixel »

Poo. I want LB to come back!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Speaking of coming back, I'm back! Speaking of being dead tired, it's 1.30am and I'm dead tired, so update tomorrow. Of course, speaking of being back and dead tired I'm guessing Ameena is both, so the delay will let her post too tomorrow. Assuming her character can, infact, react to anything anymore.

Ian's roll of 4 makes it hard to know, doens't it :D
raixel

Post by raixel »

Haha! You are in the future! Its only 6:30 pm here. So does that mean cuz you came back you are back to the future?

*runs away before something gets thrown at her*
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It gets weirder, you guys are ahead by an hour because of daylight savings time that we aren't observing yet - circular paradox!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Wooo, back properly now :D. Got back home last night and went to bed after being up for about 22 hours or so...now I'm up and I've fulyl unpacked my suitcase so everything is sorted so now I can get back to posting :D. I'll need to read through the IC thread and see what's happened since I've been away, but that shouldn't take too long. Then I can see what's actually going on :).
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Glad you enjoyed it - I'm sure the trip will get your creative juices flowing again :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, I thought the point was to be told IC what was going on :p Anyway, the narrative hasn't actually moved that far ahead. Time to go advance it another step though!
raixel

Post by raixel »

Weeeee! Ye old Mexican Gnomish Standoff!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'm keeping tabs on everything, but definietly not possible to do a meaningful update until Monday night.

And LB is officially back and posting with money/OB - WELCOME BACK!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Wahey, the Pally returns! :D

Post by raixel »

Welcome back LB! Even tho my char has no idea who you are.
So my original plan was to try and sneak up on Soorec and grapple him while holding a dagger to his throat to get him to release Helm and Ameena. Petal has a real low STR, but I cant imagine Soorec would be that much stronger. Of course beo wasnt gonna let me do THAT....
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I'd wait myself, raixel. We're vastly outgunned. Also I'm not sure the idea of Helm consuming the fruit is really a good idea. <whistles>
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

How did I stop you? :p Heck, if you roll badly, I'd have let you try to sneak behind him!

Obviously Soorec was going to have some defenses, because of what the party did last time (actually, he managed to get his hands on defenses that time too) but really, his ultimate defense is that he's the chain that holds the grak-graks in check, not the mind that keeps them going. It's kept him alive (or at least ressurrected) through three generations of cultists, and unless you have a good plan to take advantage of the chaos that ensures (that is no doubt useful) he might be happy to take the gamble knowing you guys are unlikely to survive. And that there's always some kind sucker ready to ressurect an innocent seeming gnome :D

Being unlikely to survive is not quite true, I think if Ameena and Petal can roll well, they could acrobatics (tumble) well enough to get clear and run away, but I think the rest would die. If you actually do an all out attack, I think Haynuus and Petal can deal decent damage, but Ameena is hampered to support without items to use or clever tactics to employ, the NPCs are useless, and I can't see it not being a party kill /party massacre that way either without some very good tactics on your side. And you aren't potioned up nor prepared for the assault right now :(

It's always an option, just note narratively the hooks I usually give you to play around with and outway any inbalance in combat (and to actually make it a real fight that flows from the narrative and back out again) are against you this time. They wll just pile on the damge not caring about themselves, and then will tear your corpse apart so dead is dead until you get to a VI altar (assuming you can get all the bits).

Anyway, all this warning is perhaps moot, given what Haynuus just sneakily did :D

Obviously, as you are getting close to the end, you need to work out what it is you exactly want to do. Rescuing Ameena and Helm is fine, but what you have of coruse is a dangerous opportunity to get close to the upper command of the blackskulls and also get some information about what is happening. Clearly, you guys moving around is bringing thigns ot a head that did not happen before. Clearly attacking Dolo caused something that Soorec used in his favour, but just as clearly not finishing the job and killing the priest means he needs you guys for some reason, btu is also anxious not to be away for long. Until you know what those circumstances are, best not to assume that getting back quickly is not more important than getting you guys. Also, realise he seems to act on whims instead of needs - look at how quickly he turned on Falkor.

Ameena is obviously set on finding parts of the Soul Stone to call back the Grey Lord. So you obviously have to work out if this is a good plan, and what needs to chance (or if things have changed) well enough that it doesn't go wrong like las time.

And oviously, Petal and Deephold know only as much of that as you've told them.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, picking a fight with Soorec now is really kind of a Bad Idea - I dunno if you're aware of it (though I don't imagine Petal is, either way), but if Soorec dies, basically the grak-graks go completely out of control as he's not there to tell them what to do, and they basically just charge around mincing anything that happens to be nearby - they're tough enough to beat in combat at the best of times so with the current group of four running around like maniacs trying to destroy every living thing in their path I'm not sure we'd last long ;). Also bear in mind Ameena is in the arms of one of them right now - if she thinks she has a chance to suddenly squirm free and leg it, she'll take it, but she's not gonna try if she doesn't think it's worth it. She's sort of limited to just her hearing right now, as far as senses go - she has her eyes shut, her whiskers are surrounded by grak-grak, and her nose is pretty full of it too, though obviously she can pick up enough nearby scents to at least tell that her friends are nearby. Besides that, all she can really do right now is listen. and if it comes to a fight, grak-graks are undead so she can't Sneak Attack, and she knows what happens is Soorec is knocked unconscious/killed, so she won't want to be doing anything to him either (not that she'd try to actually kill him, even if she had the chance). On the plus side, her combat damage isn't affected by the loss of her latest knife, since the damage it did was the same as her unarmed damage, and she is always considered to be armed anyway as she has the feat...Improved Unarmed Strike, I think it's called. I think she can also do Sneak Attack damage while unarmed too since she can choose whether to make her unarmed damage lethal or non-lethal. But that's sort of irrelevant right now as she doesn't plan on fighting anything ;).
It's a pity Deephold didn't have any time to mix up any more health potions - we'd have plenty of anti-grak-grak ammo if that were the case, but we all kind of got surprised by the little stubby bastard and his "pets", so I think we'll have to be on the defensive for the time being. At least till someone spots something we can do.
Than again, those fruits are healing fruits, and three of the grak-graks are still in Helm's shape, so I'm thinking Haynuus's idea was a pretty bloody good one...provided he can pull it off and Soorec doesn't recognise the fruit ;).
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

We might not want a confrontation now though...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It's a good idea for an initial attack if you were ready for it and meaning it. As it is, Petal's out of good hering range deliberately, and Ameena's being held. Really, if you wanted to go on the offensive, the best Evil Bastard tactics would have been blast a hole in Helm to knock all the grak-grak's unconscious right at the start before one Haynuus'd itself, then kill Soorec quickly (if possible) hoping thta didn't wake them up. Then run and hope you could ressurect Helm!

Anyway, update later today, we'll see what we will see :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol no, but if you can manage to "accidentally" atke out (or at least seriously compromise) three grak-graks in one go by getting Helm to heal himself, that can't be half bad, can it? ;) And then you can pelt the remaining grak-graks with the rest of the fruit or something until they melt ;). Nah, okay, maybe don't waste all the fruit like that - some of us aren't exactly on full health, In fact, I'm not sure any of us are - I think even Petal took some damage during the plant-dragon fight, didn't she? Well, at least Soorec already knows we're a bunch of pretty hard bastards...whether that'll do us any good is another matter, of course ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Uhuh...you might have missed somethign Haynuus spotted, certainly in character, but Ameena should know better. Soorec knows what you've done with his grak-graks. You killed two in recent memory. Even if this was accidental, it could end badly. Now look to Haynuus's bluff skill to see if he could even say it was an accident! :D
raixel

Post by raixel »

Petal wasnt planning on attacking Soorec, just grappling/pinning him to call off the grak graks and release Ameena and Helm. Then she was gonna tell you guys to run, and then try and flee herself. It prolly woulda been suicide, but Petals not the most *sane* char Ive ever played in my life. Actually this whole thing has been an experiment in trying to play a fundamentally alien char as Ive stated before, but shes also mentally slightly disbalanced from touching Chaos' mind during the attack on her village. So yeah. I try not to do anything that would get the group too pissed at her, but she does have a low WIS and often acts without thinking.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ah, I see, she'd have threatened but not gone through with it. Interesting. Oh well, sucks to have rolled a decent perception then! And to not have chanced it.

Of course, Petal would have just been captured in that case, so perhaps it's worked out better this way. Umm, providing you guys survive the Case of the Accidental Fruit Undead Poisoning :)
raixel

Post by raixel »

I am going to write a story called The Case of the Accidental Fruit Undead Poisoning now!

I think it would be about undead zombie fruits that sneak into peoples refrigerator at night and poison other fruits by accident even thought they just want to be loved. Then the last surviving fruits would have to make a long and harrowing trek to the land of Free Zurr where it is so cold that the lovelorn accidently poisoning fruits would freeze solid and the rest of the fruits could live in peace.

Or something...
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

That fruity story sounds completely unpalatable!
raixel

Post by raixel »

Hey beo. Dont you mean "that charging pixie who tries to come to the rescue but smacks her head on a stalactite and falls to the ground in a daze due to her shitty init roll?"

In my home campaign we have a house rule that a nat 1 on init means you automatically move last (on init count 1 or the lowest char/monsters init if its lower, and they are bumped up 1) regardless of your bonus(roll off in the case where 2 or more people are that unlucky). If everyone agrees I want to implement that one for my campaign. Its always amusing to watch the char with the huge init bonus trip and fall thereby reacting later than everyone else...