So, tell us about yourself...

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Thanks for posting that Paul. Though the size could be sort of intimidating... but oh well, we've all played DM, and I don't look worse than a trolin! ...or do I?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

you definitely look like a german guy (i use to come there sometimes) ;)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I am not sure if I should take that as a compliment or as an insult... :wink:
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

of course it's not an insult ! this is just observation after going to germany many times : and my german friends say the same thing about me :)
http://www.slengpung.com/pics/Buenzli%2011/6583.jpg
i'm the *so definitely french* guy in the center with a black t-shirt ;)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Agreed, you look very French. :P Is the guy in the white shirt next to you either Antoine or Olivier Ruel? I suppose not, but he looks similar.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

That last picture suitably demonstrates the global language that crosses all international barriers and brings people of all natonalities together: Pringles!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

nope, his name's jerome lanquetot as i remember..
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

yep gambit ! Pringles and beer were our drugs in demoparties :)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Pringles are incredible! It would have been a tremendous surprise Linflas... Antoine and Olivier Ruel are two famous Magic: The Gathering players from France. In fact, Olivier is regarded by many as the currently best player on the planet. From what I know, the brothers are also very funny and amazingly sympathetic.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Hi all! My name in Anthony I read alot on these forums but I dont post often. I live in Wellington, New Zealand studying performance trombone at university. I play in a bunch of brass bands, jazz bands and orchestras and with practice and university, almost all my time is taken up, but i love playing so its great! Oh yeah, i also play for a military band, the only one which pays :wink:

I watched my brother and his friends play CSB since I was 5 or so but was too scared to ever try myself untill i was...maybe 6 or 7? And then i just used to load my brothers saves and run around the dungeon madly. I didnt have DM to play as our version was a pirated copy and the copy protection made the game crash all the time. But after alot of playing CSB i was eventually able to win before my brother. Then when i played DM with an amiga emulator several years later it was a walk in the park compared to CSB.

I've played alot of the custom dungeons through, and would like to make my own using CSBuild, but i lack the sufficient time at the moment. Oh, and i also hold the CSB record lol :)
MonDesIrSar
Novice

Post by MonDesIrSar »

My Name is MonDesIrSar, cast that spell in case you don´t know about it...

..but I´m not really a 'black' person by heart. ;)

In real life, most people call me Nik(las). 27 years of age, born and raised in Northern Germany. Now living in a small town in Hessen, still trying to get my PhD respectively finishing off my 'studium medicinae'.

First contact with DM in 1992, love at first sight!
Initially played CSB in 93, from then my biography used to slack a little. :lol:

As for spare time apart from gaming, I like to put some nice vinyl on my turntables, hang out with friends or care for my little garden.
Well, that´s probably more than you wanted to know...

be greeted,
TotalDarkness
RetroGamerUK
Neophyte

Post by RetroGamerUK »

Hello DM loonies!

This is my first post so I will try to make it interesting :roll: ,my real name is Andy, I am 32, have been into DM since it was released on the Atari ST back then!
I also use other Forums such as the Atari-Forum, Lemon Amiga and the World of Spectrum. but I never bothered with any game specific Forums until now :wink:
I have yet to modify my ususal Forum profile to a more Dungeon Masteresque style....
So as i said, I am a big fan of DM, I played CSB but never finished it! (gave me a headache), I played, and still play DMII on the Amiga (far better than the PC version :wink: ), and I actually finished this one without help/cheating :o , I like the improvements of Skullkeep and consider it a worthy sequel to a great game,
I am (was) currently playing a custom data disk: "the Tomb of King Hissssa" on the ST, but that is a different story.....

Well, that just about sums up me and why I joined this Forum!
Thanks for listening, and I will no doubt exchange messages with some of you as soon as I can think of something to post!!

Cheers!

Andy :)
They must have a Forum for everything by now!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Hello Retro Gamer, and welcome to the best web page ever existing on the net! I am also happy I had found this site one day. I dont rather use other sites on the net, except that one. I love DM so much that, although I don`t know english well, I`m sitting with a dictionary and translating posts on the forum! :) I`m playing other people custom games now, and trying to design mine own on the editor (but it`s really hard to make without bugs!)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)

Post by Guest »

Adamo, Zamiast siedzenia (posiedzenie) z Słownikiem i tłumaczący (tłumaczenie; tłumaczący; przeprowadzający) słowo (formułować) przez słowo, wy łatwo moglibyście kopiować i przylepiać (ciasto) wysyła pocztą (umieszcza; komunikat; stanowisko) do operatywnego *translator* przy: http://www.poltran.com/ I uderzać (uderzył; uderzony) "Tłumaczą " guzik, jak (podobny do; podobnie do tego; upodobanie do) JA zrobił z ten (to) jed, Język polski (polski; polerować; blask)!

I do not understand Polish BTW
:wink:
RetroGamerUK
Neophyte

Post by RetroGamerUK »

Sorry, that last post was from me, I forgot to log in!!!
:oops:
They must have a Forum for everything by now!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Adamo, Zamiast siedzenia (posiedzenie) z Słownikiem i tłumaczący... ETC

About my god, is there? Slavic languages and has other grammatical structure anglogermańskie and I know something about syntactical ( it, because I know english except polish a bit, italian, russian, arab and hindi ), so, probably, shows translation of word can be readable to word of language from separate language branch none too ( that! ).

hahaahaaa you understood something? (translating by that program in other direction is even worse!)
unfortunatelly, polish is very inflected language :(
:D
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Polaris
Neophyte

hello all!

Post by Polaris »

Hi!

My name is ludo, i live in france.
Well i am 30 years old and have play a lot DM and CSB on Amiga and Atari.

An then one day i have found the amazing Christophe's encyclopedia,
and then i have remenber all the good time spend on DM and CSB....DM was my favourite one: the best moment i remenber was when i found the famous skeleton key in the depth of the dungeon. :D
My favourite team: Halk,Stamm,Gothmog,Mophus.
The editors are great things.
The Cowsmaunaut graphic work is beautifful! Ps:can youlearn me one day how to draw like this or even give me some advice? :)
Well in one word very happy to have found this place where the word 'community' take all his sense.
And finally thanks to Zyx to have great welcome me at the 'Inn of lost soul'.

See you all and thank to all of you for all of that..
sorry for english. :roll: .
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

welcome Ludo! well, indeed - the editors are great thing, but you have to decide, which of them to use. Each one have lots of its positives and negatives. They have quite difficult engines, so on the beginning you can start with DM Java, or DMUTE editors (it`s definitly simpliest), and then try RTC editor or CSBuilder. good luck!!
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

salut ludo, welcome to the forums :)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Merci Ludo pour des mots amiables!

I do not know how I could teach from such distance, but I would be glad to give you crtique on your drawings if you like.

The main thing is to recognise your own errors. This is very difficult. Sometimes you can look and see it's wrong but not be sure why.

It's important to learn structure and have the critical eye on little details. It's also important to not have your heart too much into your drawing because when you show it, you want to defend it. This is very hard not to do. However, if you can accept what people say about it and fix it.. or do it over again better. You will become so much better even faster.

moo
Wismerhill
Apprentice

Post by Wismerhill »

Hey, another frog ! Welcome Ludo. In which city do you live ?
Wismerhill.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

Well, my turn I guess.

I am Ian, I am 22 and from Lancashire, UK. I got into DM on the Atari ST in the 1980s. I remember swapping saved games and character portraits with friends at school and I also remember being the first one to finish CSB. I got an editor on disk some time in the early 1990s and liked editing the original dungeon, I still have a saved game that formed the basis for my "DM Plus" dungeon that I designed with DMute a couple of years ago... now I'm stuck somewhere in Conflux II or something :lol: :evil: :P

Well, there you go, and with that I might give that "DM Plus" dungeon a bit of a revamp.
Sigi
Novice

This is me

Post by Sigi »

Hi,

now that I find myself returning to these wonderful forums regularly I might post an introduction to myself as well.

I'm 28 years old from Saarbruecken, Germany and I manage to still hang around at uni trying to finish my masters thesis in (guess what) Computer Science. Now this isn't that unusual in Germany but obviously leaves something to be desired...

My interests are quite diverse, but mainly I'm fascinated by all sorts of competitive games, computer or not. This includes Bridge, which I'm not actively playing at the moment because I got addicted to it and got no work done anymore. On the machine I like to play CS:Source and the recent Dystopia mod which I really recommend, and -- of course -- Dungeon Master. I used to play Magic: The Gathering which I still think is one remarkable game. I am not particularly good at any of the games I play but that doesn't spoil the fun for me ;-).

I also have a social live :-).

When I first played I actually knew too much already because it was already a classic game by then (1992 or so) and I had watched a friend play it. It was still fascinating. After planning for years to play it again I came around to Google for the magic words a few weeks ago and found the great encyclopedia (dmweb) and also this site -- I'm still amazed how active the community is and that geniuses like George and Paul have devoted so much time to create clones and ports of the game.

Greetings,
Sigi (actually my real name is "Frank" but I got "Sigi" at high school for no particular reason and it stuck, so by now everybody only calls me "Sigi" except for my family)
MOPHUS' CARPET AND AUTO SALE NOW OPEN!
Turn left just behing the Screamer room.
Satisfaction GUARANTEED or your gold coins back!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

welcome in fanatic club, Sigi!
Since I found this site, I have a reason to live ;)
(joking!)
But otherwise... working on CSbuild and making custom graphics took houndreds (!!!!!!) of hours from my live this year! That`s even more than my ex-girlfriend ! But she weren`t so exciting that DM is hehe! ;)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Post by Guest »

Hello. I am from Bulgaria.
I am 25 years old and i have spent many days or even years playing computer games. I like any kind of mental challenge. I play Magic:the gathering, Warcraft 3 and RPG games. I first encountered Dungeon master in 1997. It was DM2. Me and a friend of mine played it for about 4 weeks and always got stuck on the blinking pit in the castle. When we finally passed the pit my friend almost broke my arm in his excitement. From that point on it wasn't that hard to complete the game. DM1 was much harder for me. I played it in 2002 or 2003 - i don't remember. I played it alone. Now i play CSB on PC. VERY VERY DIFFICULT. I will try not to use any hints but .... it is so hard dammit.
Well i wonder what more can i say. My nickname - sheltem is the name of a charecter from another game i like - might and magic - i like the story, the game is really amazing. Those old games have something the new ones can never have - they have some kind of spirit - the people who created them created them first with their hearts not brains. Playing a game is like reading a book for me. I don't like the new good-looking 3D commercial games. I like those oldies and miss them.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Hi, and welcome.

You should register and get yourself a name!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

I don't like the new good-looking 3D commercial games. I like those oldies and miss them.
you`re not alone! I still think DM & CSB were best games ever!
If you think CSB is too hard (indeed it`s hard!), play DM1 first.
welcome to the forum!
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
sheltem
Neophyte

Post by sheltem »

This is my account name. I thought i was looged on when i wrote my previous message.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I agree - the old games are the best. And I recognise the name "Sheltem" since I have Might and Magics VI, VII, and VIII, and in the strategy guide for VI it has a summary of what happened in the first five games. VI is my favourite - there are many many bugs you can take advantage off, it's great :D.
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I only know Might & Magic 3, 4 and 5, and Sheltem was there in M&M3. I remember the amazing voice acting back on my Amiga version with 6 disks! Interestingly, I always thought that M&M3 was way too hard, but I breezed through 4 and 5 in about a week combined, although the system was almost identical.

I am also very nostalgic when it comes to games, I just played through Pool of Radiance again and am now on Curse of the Azure Bonds! And welcome to the forum!