Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Here is what I propose:

Rank 00 -No rank name- (0 Posts)
Rank 01 Neophyte (2 Posts)
Rank 02 Novice(5 Posts)
Rank 03 Apprentice(9 Posts)
Rank 04 Journeyman(15 Posts)
Rank 05 Craftsman(23 Posts)
Rank 06 Artisan(35 Posts)
Rank 07 Adept(50 Posts)
Rank 08 Expert(70 Posts)
Rank 09 Lo Master(100 Posts)
Rank 10 Um Master (130 Posts)
Rank 11 On Master (175 Posts)
Rank 12 Ee Master(230 Posts)
Rank 13 Pal Master(300 Posts)
Rank 14 Mon Master(390 Posts)
Rank 15 Archmaster(500 Posts)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'd stagger them differently. with 20 - 50 post gaps
I think the master levels should be 100s, with Archmaster at say 1000
(lol what's the fiun if you don't have to work at it for ages like DM)
Just concider the amount of posts people have posted at thigns liek the RTC boards
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I have a Swedish friend named Thigns Liek, how spooky! ;)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

here's what I propose.. you tell me what you want yours to say and I'll change it for you..
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

*lol* individual ranking? Only kidding... more like personal motto or such, hmm? Sounds o.k. with me - will think about it, thanks for offering!

Regards PitD
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Ok, there seems to be some agreement about my proposal of using the levels from DM. So this should be done in every case. The only thing where we don't agree is the "score" you need. While I still like my proposal about xp based scores (else I wouldn't have posted it), I can live with other solutions also, but before making a different suggestion two more things about the solution I offered first:
Gambit: I started at Neophyte level with the score equivalent belonging to novice in DM intentionally because I think there shouldn't be a no-name level, although there is of course one in DM.
And I also agree with PitD that 500 or 512 posts are an awful lot. 500/512 posts would be as much I think someone will ever archive, so it would be possible to become On-Master, but there should be always one on top of what seems to be realistic. I could imagine someone archiving 1000 or 1024 posts, but it is highly improbable that someone will ever do that, so Ee-Master would remain an ideal practically beyond reach, and I I can't imagine someone ever posting as much as 2000 or 2028 posts, but, as I said, there should be always something on top of what is probable, practical or realistic. So Archmaster would actually only serve to express symbolically some gratitude for those few people who invest time and energy in maintaining this site for us.
Another thing is: Some time after the DM forum from Christophe had been new when it was known enough to be established among dm players there was a lot of exchange because quite a few people had a lot to say about dm after all those years. Same can be said about Georges forum, after RTC had been new and was full of hundreds of bugs. But as time went on (and RTC as well as CSBWin were developed quite far), the frequency of posts in both has decreased, although of course the occasional newcomer will still get advice and questions answered and the stubborn hardcore of dm players will keep posting.
So, with constant posting with a relative low frequency it seems to make sense to have a fast progress through the first few levels, for if 85% or more of all members are something like "strong & silent" the entire things starts to become something between silly and boring.
But...if you'd still prefer some other solution I'm certain we will find one (although I think it should meet at least the requirement of having a faster progress at lower levels than at higher ones as it is usual for all kinds of levels in all RPG's. I also like mathematical consistent solutions.). So how about that one (did I mention I love Ars Magica?):

0 Posts: Neophyte
10 Post: Novice
30 Posts: Apprentice
60 Posts: Journeyman
100 Posts: Craftsman
150 Posts: Artisan
210 Posts: Adept
280 Posts: Expert
360 Posts: Lo Master
450 Posts: Um Master
550 Posts: On Master
660 Posts: Ee Master
780 Posts: Pal Master
910 Mon Master
1050 Posts or Admin: Archmaster

I hope that one is meeting all demands of Gmabit and PitD and everyone else.
Last edited by Lunever on Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Sorry, I meant of course Gambit and PitD and Beowuuf and Christophe and last but not least Cowsmanaut.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'd go with that last setting

So, if no one objects one of the three of us can go and change it sometime soon then

To Gambit: Your Norweigen friend said something foreign that sounded like 'hi' or 'what are you doing in my house' : )
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Actually, i think he said "I am typing too quickly and/or I am drunk."... ;)
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Well I'm in favor of Lunever's suggestion. Just thinking that I keep coming here regularly and posting on a frequent basis (still having no more than 30 or so posts) 1000 is a huge figure... let's not overdo it. I never reached Archmaster in any DM game so far, even though I train a lot, so leave me a theoretical chance here ... ;)

Regards PitD
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Wooo...just saw from my last post it's done already - sorry, this is no post-stacking now ! Thanks cowsmanaut!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

So I suppose it has been done now based on the AM xp? Fine!

PitD: Of course I forgot about the greatest danger of that system: It is so deeply implanted into the blood of every hardcore dm player to try to become Archmaster one day that we may find ourseleves at post-stacking, probably while sleep-walking ;-)
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

So we're starting that by just posting along on some random theme, stacking posts while talking about it ? ;)

Regards, PitD
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I am OK with the last proposition.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Posting to see my rank, but i don't know if its still over-ridden by the moderator's one : )

Gambit: I'll have you know i typed perfectly when I have been drunk...probably because i check what i've written for five minutes afterwards! (only done that in rare mails to friends)
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

hmm. id really like a vexirk-avatar, i love these little boys ;)
anyone has better pics than those?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

good enough?
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Hey they look nice - are you developing a monster sub-section now?

Regards, PitD
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

cooool !
many thx :D
may i use it at another forum? i can upload it somewhere else if you prefer.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

he's actually from the monster part of the GFX archive I did. I only did the front view of this one, I spent more time on the skel, and screamer.

At any rate, I will be completing the DM GFX set. I plan to get back to the process of making the set as I now have a bit of free time again.. for how long I don't know but for a little while anyway.

Amber, you can use it in annother forum yes, however if more an more people plan to use it or if it's to be seen by millions of people per day I think it might be good to have it go up else where. Zpc is still granting me free space but I don't want his bandwidth to go way up suddenly.

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'd change the optimisation if I were you! That little vexirk is 14Kb, you could probably get it down to 3-4Kb with no loss of quality...
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

>>he's actually from the monster part of the GFX archive I did

any way to see all of the archive?
and would you mind me making the background transparent?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

you can do anything you like to the image .. well other than giving him a big strap on dildo or making him a flasher. But yeah, make any changes you like.

As for the archive, I think I posted the link on here somewhere.. pretend it's an easter egg hunt. If you don't find it I'll hunt it down for you.

hint.. it should be something like http://chaos.zpc.cz/files.html

whoops.. I guess I gave away too much. ;)

moo
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

>>you can do anything you like to the image .. well other than giving him a big strap on dildo or making him a flasher. But yeah, make any changes you like.

never, that would be a sacrilege!
ImageImage
thats all versions of it im using. one is resized for the forum im using it in, the other only has a transparent background. i thought id better ask before, because you have a copyright on it ;)
ok, maybe im the only person on the whole internet who is asking before ;)

>>As for the archive, I think I posted the link on here somewhere.. pretend it's an easter egg hunt. If you don't find it I'll hunt it down for you.

wow. i especially like the screamers and the fountain. did you draw all of them by yourself? i wish i could that, for me only stays asking for ;)
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

I'm really curious on how the gallery will look in some months... How many characters do we have so far anyway? Only six or did I lose count?

Regards, PitD
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Well, I think I'll make a new avatar sticky post later that only I can add to so that it just contains the avatars. Since this one obviously has gone further than just avatars.

Or I could be smarter and just add them to the choosable avatars when you edit your profiles.

Amber; yes I hand painted averything in the archives. A few things were paintovers so they matched up but it's not as if they are super detailed before I got them so I don't really feel I'm cheating. Just trying to stay true to the orriginal.

moo
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

cowsmanaut: did you ever see/try zyx's dungeon or graphic.dat file where he ported some of your artwork? I thoguht the screamers were very good, even in the limited DM palette - actaully quite scary, especially when seen around a corner for the first ime : )
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

nope, I offered some graphics to him.. and let him use whatever from the archive, but I never saw the result.

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Is that graphics.dat file still available anywhere? I'd like to try DM with it!
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

*raiseshishandaswell*