Community Chest

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Community Chest

Post by Gambit37 »

I've been reading about the new Community Chest feature on ezboard. It's a really good idea. I am quite happy to contribute something towards this, purely to get rid of the f***ing popups.

George, perhaps you could set up a goal for this, with a target amount. If so, I'd be more than happy to contribute. It would also aloow me to redress the fact that I never sent you anything for DMute... Are you up for this?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Community Chest

Post by beowuuf »

I agree, this does seem like an interesting idea...amaprotu already mentioned this ages ago somewhere, yes?
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
amaprotu
Adept

Post by amaprotu »

What I mentioned is a seperate thing kinda. You can sorta buy yoru own personal gold account, no pop-ups or ads on *any* ez board message board. Its like $2 a month I think or something like that....
The gold membership that you can donate for through the chest is a gold account for this message board, where this message board has no pop-ups or ads for anyone.

On a related note, paypal allows for donations pages if george wants to set up an easy way for people to show their appreciation for dmute and rtc....
- Amaprotu
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Done - It's currently set to target $30; this'll give us no pop-ups, no banners and a faster server....
Zyx
DSA Master

concretely...

Post by Zyx »

Ok, so what do we have to do if we want to help?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

DEath to pop-ups, support RTC!

Post by beowuuf »

How does the PAyPAL thing work (I have no credit card) - those pop ups have to go. They've started being clever, and you have to alt-f4 some of them now!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: DEath to pop-ups, support RTC!

Post by Gambit37 »

It's kind of like a money transfer, but to best use it you still really need a credit card. You can send money via paypal and settle your bill using a cheque, but I think this only works if you are in the US.

Check out www.paypal.com - they have a short demo of how it works. I was able to avoid paypal though and pay directly through my credit card, which was very quick and easy - it's a secure transaction too.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The earth...something...is the interenational option, and works through barclay's bank in the uk...so can get that organised on wednesday

Big-J-Q
Adept

Community Chest

Post by Big-J-Q »

I'm not sure how the C-Chest works, but I must confess I don't like that thing. Don't get me wrong, I respect GG's work, I enjoy visiting this Board, and I'd like to rid of Ads and stuff, but how can a "poor student" living Finland (far away from the US) help?

My fear is, that if you DON'T contribute to the chest, you become an outcast. I can picture myself one day asking:"How can I make my mummies spit fire and brimstone?", and the only answer I get is: "I know the answer, but didn't pay the price of the chest, I'm not telling you! Buahaha!"

(Or I could be wrong)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You must admit it woulld be so much harder without the board, and since it is a free service otherwise I think that this is the best option for ezboard to try and get funding.

I do think contributions should have maybe been kept anonynmous, but otherwise you do what you feel you want to and can. I wouldn't want the converse to be true either...like someone going 'bwahahaha, i contributed into the chest, now i want these editor features added and someone tell me how to do this damn puzzle!'

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I agree. As beowuuf said "you do what you feel you want to and can...". I feel that I'd like to support RTC, so that's my way of helping out. Individuals shouldn't feel that they have to contribute if they really can't, and similarly contributors can't expect to make demands simply because they've contributed.
Big-J-Q
Adept

No Witch-hunts then

Post by Big-J-Q »

I'm relieved to know where you guys stand. But "I would if I could" still feels like a poor excuse.

On the other hand, I'm not going to be around for long, I'm going to be pretty much occupied after the new year. :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: No Witch-hunts then

Post by beowuuf »

Got hold of a credit card, so by the end of the week that should be it!

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

CSC Gold!

Post by Gambit37 »

Hey, I just noticed that no popups had been appearing, and realised that CSC Gold has now been bought - cool. This will make things a little easier looking at the forum from work.... :wink:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

thanks!!

Post by cowsmanaut »

Thanks to you both Gambit and Beowulf. I thank you and my browser wich frequently crashed thanks you. I feel a little guilty myself not being able to contribute, but I'm sure my chance will come when this one expires.. in what.. a year?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: thanks!!

Post by Gambit37 »

No thanks required... it was purely selfish to preserve my sanity!
amaprotu
Adept

Post by amaprotu »

Expires in 6 months. =)
- Amaprotu
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Totally worth it then, they appear so frequently now, have sounds sometimes, some need atl f4 to kill, some have two parts...and yep, i'm a 56k modem user...so man do i feel it!
And now they and that stupid long white link at the bottom are gone! we're freeeeeeeeeeee *sigh of contentment*

good idea gambit to ask about it!

haakon77
Neophyte

Post by haakon77 »

Cool :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hey haakon, is the name inspired by Thieves World or Lone Wolf?

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oooh.. another Lone Wolf fan... those were the days, eh? Classic stuff - much better than Fighting Fantasy which ended up a dull franchise.

I found my collection the other day - books 1 to 12. Bit dogeared now, but made better byt the fact that books 1-10 were signed by Joe Dever himself - I took them to one of the gamesdays where he signed them. Now if that doesn't make me an all-time geek, I don't know what does...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

OT - Lone Wolf

Post by beowuuf »

LMAO - Gambit, a closet Lone Wolf reader too? Cool!
Those were amongst the first gamebooks i remember reading way back when they came out. They were fantastically written. I have the first 20 (right up to end of grand master), though never went back to read them again..the first 12 dog eared as anything : )

There is still cult sites I found recently (4 - 5 years ago nothing, now there are)
Joe found the publishers aren't willing to keep the books in print, but he is allowing people to transcribe the ones he has the rights to (the first 20 so far) on the web : )

And Gambit, you aren't a geek, you are now envied...sighned copies....man that was such a big thing back in my childhood, was lone wolf...ah, memories...