Frame rate

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sggrack
Neophyte

Frame rate

Post by Sggrack »

Hey all. I just downloaded rtc and it looks great, just like what I remember and then some. The only thing is at the moment it's almost unplayable... At best I'm getting 3 fps. I was hoping to get the game running on my families dated machine before heading back to university. 40 meg ram, 16 meg banshee video card, win 95. I've tried updating the video card drivers and messing around with the settings with rtc to no avail as yet. (next one my list is direct x) Just curious if anyone else has had similar experiences. I'd hate to think the old family Atari ST was better at running the game :wink:

-Sggy <p>Sggy Blade: Dagger Wielder of Harvestgain. </p>
amaprotu
Adept

Re: Frame rate

Post by amaprotu »

George: Please repost your old FAQ about RTC specific issues. Your site is looking good btw with all the ingame info, but the RTC faq is missed.

Sggrack: What it boils down to is RTC isn't DM, its better. Instead of 320*200 resolution (i think) RTC has 640*480. Instead of a 16 (4bit) color color pallette, RTC uses 24bit real color. This amounts to a whole lot more information that needs be stored. I think it means 24 times more information per screen shown. (I was wrong last time I guessed, but I think its 6 times as many bits for color and 4 times as many pixels is 6*4=24). And then there is shading. In DM the color palete was just shifted down. Can't do that with real color, so you have to do some calculations to darken everything. Is alpha blending used for that? I can't remember. Also shadows are alpha blended (if you have that enabled in the startup menu), and that takes processing power.

If you are looking just to play DM on your old computer, get DM for windows. RTC is primarily a personal project for George, and secondarily form of DM style dungeon that will be extremely customizable for creating dungeons (as the format is known and not hacked), and thirdly a clone of RTC. That's my understanding at least.
- Amaprotu
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Frame rate

Post by beowuuf »

Yup, you can get the PC DM for the family computer from http://dmweb.free.fr in the game setup section.
But definitely download it again when you get back to uni (it's only 2Mb, in size, you can probably sneak it onto your uni hd space : ) - on a machine with slightly more computational power its very, very cool : )
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!