Thrown Firestaff bug has not been duplicated!

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
gab2001uk
Novice

Thrown Firestaff bug has not been duplicated!

Post by gab2001uk »

Just played RTC v 0.9 using Original Dungeon, killed the dragon with 8 freeze boxes and 12 arrow/slayer shots from crossbows. I tried the old trick of throwing the firestaff + gem combo out through the door to stop the way being blocked back upstairs. It doesn't work! Now I am stuck on the two levels (Chaos and Dragon) without food or water.
George you could have left that little "Undocumented feature" in there... <p>User has caused a General Protection Fault. Change User and press any key to continue...</p>
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: Thrown Firestaff bug has not been duplicated!

Post by George Gilbert »

This is by design rather than a bug. Pads which detect the presence of a specific object are activated whenever the object is anywhere on it's tile - that includes flying objects, those in chests and those carried by the party.

I believe this is how DM should have been (which is why I've done it), but I agree, it is different.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I still don't agree that this should work this way - as discussed before, it seriously screws up the Diamomnd Edge puzzle, amongst other things. Just my opinion of course...
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

You see, with the Diamond Edge thing, I never regarded that as a puzzle that could be solved (by throwing it). I always viewed it as either a trap or a straight swap; you can have this great weapon, but you're going to have to pay for it.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I don't think the designers ever invisioned anyone guessing there was an object carrying triggered event pad anywhere, which is why, when you know about it, you can escape that trap/provision so easily. The only allowance made for the diamond edge puzzle it is the destructable door, so you can, with a beefed up party, still run out of the room fast. So I agree with how george has set up these two puzzles.

Buuuuut...I don't like it if that's the only option for object pads, that it will always activate even if the object is flying overhead. I like it as an idea, but not the only idea. That's just my 2p.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It also means that the 'Surrender your possessions' puzzle couldn't be replicated exactly as it is in CSB. Beowuuf discovered that it's simply a pad that activates once the party is no longer wearing black boots. If the pad still activates whether the object is worn, or dropped ON the tile, or in flight OVER the current tile, then it's not gonna get triggered until all black boots have been thrown to another tile...
FoxBat
Novice

Yikes

Post by FoxBat »

That CSB problem is quite a problem. You wouldn't *gasp* think of altering the puzzle would you? ;p

The one thing I can think of would be to teleport the items as soon as they hit the floor to an unaccessible tile. (can you stack triggers on a single square like that though?) That way the black boots are somewhere else when they aren't being carried.

Come to think of it, just how does recognizing that the corbum ore was tossed into the FUL YA pit work anyway?

It sounds like seperate triggers are the best way to go. Let the designer decide how this should work with different trigger types.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That's exactly what happens - all your items are transported back into the supplies for the quick aloves (the central four in the middle of the room). The boots leave the instant you place them on the floor and so the pad deactivates

From what I've noticed of party and object pads they seem to activate with tyhe object lying on them too...have to recheck that...

For the FUL YA - there seems to be a few counters, teleporters, and even a closed pit elsewhere with lots of triggers, so the usual behind the scenes fun : )
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, I also think that being able to sneak the powered firestaff out of it´s tomb without triggering the alarm was a bug rather than by design, for there is alternative end with Lord Librasulus for the basic firestaff but not for the firestaff in the original game.
Yet it was a lovely bug, because you could get as near as possible to the solution of the game and yet, totally hooked on the game as you were, wander the entire dungeon, train your characters and explore some details or hidden treasure which might have escaped your notice before.
So removing this bug results in a dungeon which is not really the "Original Dungeon", which of course disturbs any true feeling of nostalgia.
Also there should exist the possibility to create pads which do not react to flying objects for future dungeons simply because this would make some otherwise unavailable riddles possible.
<p>Komm zur bunten Seite der Macht! </p>
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.