no magic

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
fizzycolaspangle
Neophyte

no magic

Post by fizzycolaspangle »

my magic spell icons do not work help please no magic no fun
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: no magic

Post by Gambit37 »

This is a new feature in RTC. You need to pick up the spell book, then find scrolls with magic symbols on them. Each time you find a new scroll with a new rune, click on the open spell book (must be in a characters' right hand) with the scroll and the runes will be added. This changes the strategy of the game somewhat as it means you can only cast spells once you have found the necessary runes...

The spell book is the first object behind the grate door on the Hall of Champions. Don't forget to inscribe the power runes before you start or you won't be able to cast anything at all....
fizzycolaspangle
Neophyte

thanks

Post by fizzycolaspangle »

Thanks Gambit37 It's kick ass time .
Big-J-Q
Adept

yes magic

Post by Big-J-Q »

Note that if you use the DM_ORIGINAL.RTC, you don't have to "collect the runes", but you can use them as you have in the past with DM.
Rick
Novice

Re: yes magic

Post by Rick »

Well one thing - i think that waiting for the scrolls to appear makes the game too difficult. I mean we didn't all start with "neophyte wizard" or "neophyte priest". The characters should have some spells ready.

How about this? The more advanced your character, the more spells he knows. For example, linflas knows how to cast a fireball, but another character doesn't know how to. To transfer the knowledge to another character, you would know another spell (available to anyone, but VERY mana-expensive) like "transfer knowledge" spell. The spell would only work from cleric to cleric, or wizard to wizard. A wizard cannot transfer knowledge to a cleric unless he's a wizard too.

This way you would need 4 scrolls of the same spell so that all characters would know it. (i.e. the spellbook has pages dedicated to all characters, who'll be the fortunate one is your choice.

This is one thing i liked about AD&D games. Finding scrolls was part of the fun, you either used the scroll or scribed it until you achieved the level needed to cast it.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

a little over complex don't ya think?

Post by cowsmanaut »

if that were the case wouldn't it just be easier for linflas to tell his team mates the spells?

See you are comming in a little late to this topic so I understand you don't know how long it took to get this to the point it's at. It's been a half/half split deal where some like it and others don't. It was taken to the point at which most people who liked it were satisfied with the general rules of this limiter and those who didn't like it just used DM_Orriginal.RTC.

I'm not sure if the old thread is still around it should be somewhere waaaaaaaay back. :)

The only real point to this limiter is to prevent people from using spells they wouldn't know unless they had already played the game. You see the first time around no one would have ever questioned the scrolls. They wouldn't have ever known the spells anyway.

So it's a matter of how much you want to challege yourself. It's really been a humbling experience for some. Starting off knowing the spells really does give you a big advantage.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: a little over complex don't ya think?

Post by George Gilbert »

A thought that's just occurred to me right now (rather than a re-hash of a post from n months ago). It may be profitable to give the mirror characters scrolls with certain runes on them as appropriate to reflect their past knowledge.

Thus Stamm or Halk may not have any scrolls with them at all, but Zed may jave one with a FUL rune, Gothmog a SAR rune, Nabi VI and MA etc etc. It would add a whole new dimension to picking characters...

Just a little topic of conversation to get you thinking ;-)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

not bad .. not bad at all..

Post by cowsmanaut »

I thought someone had mentioned this once... but it was before the spell book thing was implemented.

It's indeed a good idea! :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: not bad .. not bad at all..

Post by Gambit37 »

Absolutely bloody brilliant! George, you are a genius.

Isn't it funny how some of the simplest, most elegant solutions often take the longest to discover? Your idea would really make a massive difference to character selection. In the past, it's often been hard weighing up which characters to take simply by looking at their stats... if they already have rune scrolls, this could drsatically change selection strategy, especially if you've never played that dungeon before and don't know what scrolls it may or may not contain..... Nice one, I look forward to that....
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

My first reaction was the total opposite of drake's and gambits, but thinking on it...yeah, it would be cool

I don't think you'd wouldn't want characters to start with obvious runes. FUL DES, YA, VI, BRO are massively useful, and are therefore more fun having them out of reach. It might be better to do two things...

a) give starting character certain (later) runes that's aren't readily available (the spell scroll only gives a few of the runes needed, or the spell, not neccessarily the rune). After a certain time
most parties kinda become the same. Wouldn't it be good if the only way, or one of the few ways, to get the KU rune was to choose a journeyman fighter like stamm or halk. To start with, it's not useful, so who thinks about it...but later on, when parties would normally be the same, you can get access to strength potions..so once again it mattered you chose a strong fighter party, because now you have aid against golems/knights that other parties won't get

or ZO is only available to gothmog...for a jounrneyman wizard, i nerver rate him as i can get higher mana boris to the same level with a few spells..but what if he is the only one who knows about ZO...mana potions, and the door opening spell, are only available with him until near the end (with the zokathra spell). It would be nice for gameplay that it did matter he was there - you can try all six level 3 puzzles, etc

b) power runes - rather than get all 6, characters start with them on scrolls individually, and they are afterwards only available at 'appropriate' junctures of the dungeon (like EE is lying at the start of level 8). So maybe jouneymen get the first three, apprentice/novices get two, neopytes get one..and that's it. So it matters to have a 'teacher' in the group to gain higher magicks until you can find the rune in the dungeon, and it also limits spellcaster levels, addign extra difficulty (if you can only practise UM level spells, you ain't goign to get as much experience after a while on lower levels...no training to adept on level 4 without a lot of work!)
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
UNKOman
Neophyte

heyheyhey

Post by UNKOman »

i think this topics must be added to readme files!!!!!!!

please

and thanks
Lunever
Grand Druid

Re: heyheyhey

Post by Lunever »

Nice idea to equip mirror champions with single rune scrolls.
Yet this imposes a certain style of spellcasting and a certain order of spell-learning upon you.
What about the following idea:
Create wall-items behind locks in the uppermost dungeon, for example gem-locks (gem-shaped holes that will consume say an orange gem) which will free an alcove with a rune scroll within when fed. Beside each lock there should be an inscription telling what rune is hidden within.
Then you could equip every magic-user with one key item (i.e. orange gem) per spellcaster level or, if that is to much, one item per spellcasting level above a certain level.
So every player could develop his own strategy for spellcasting, yet would still be dependant on recovering runes.
If you don´t want certain spells to be available right away, you could still leave out some of the runes. You could also mix this with giving certain rune scrolls only to certain mirror champions in their starting equipment.
<p>Komm zur bunten Seite der Macht! </p>
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Equus / ZPC
Big head, big heart

Post by Equus / ZPC »

Idea of equipping the chars with spell runes is nice, actually it is I think a step backward.

Right now, the RTC dungeon is kinda challenging. I picked up Gando and went down. Few hard times, but not really. I would say that it is very easy to teach your wizards to cast 644 on the fourth floor (you just train, sleep, eat, train, eat, sleep, etc.) - later you are just one burning wizard with almost no need to fight too much. But when you are limited to the scrolls you find, it's more like the real life. I found this scroll, it "opens" my mind so I know how to cast fireball, great.

So I suggest, that it should be up to you if you want to resurrect or reincarnate (once you take the runes, because you surely new them and you are rewakened, other way you are tabula rasa - clean) - you will get a scroll with runes or not (the same is with the abilities, right).

Hope you got my point.

Regards.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

seems to me that a character having an axe starts with a powerful fighterweapon too, wherther reincarnated or ressurected....he still has to learn to use it if he has his mind wiped clean
It was just a quick thought...basically i am inclinded for maximun flexibility in starting, so the same game can have a different feel...

another idea could be having runes scrools available for certain characters, and other wise they have to be earned. For example, the KU riune is in a dragon, or with journeymen fighters..pick the fighters, getthe rune, or other wise you have to earn the rune by getting fighters good enoughto kill the dragon, etc

This new rune finding system opens up some funpossibilities : )

Oh, interesting quirk of the engine so far...if you possess multiple spell books, while they are in your possession, you have the sum total of all of them, BUUT if one drops, you lose all the runes for that book only runes, and all the ones transfered into it - so each individual spell book is a non-transferrable ource of runes...might make an interestign game if you don't include scrolls...have spell books the only thing to activate major locks as you progress in a dungeon...you might have the book of fire (has runes for FUL, and a few related that grants fireball) but only one power rune..and you have another book of 'power' with all the power runes...which do you give up to progress? etc etc. The magic becomes a currency and it is a tactical decision how you play each section of the dungeon.
So you cn actually have individual spellbooks available depending on your party make up if you liked,
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!