RTC DM: Where the hell is the IR-rune?

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Prakk
Neophyte

RTC DM: Where the hell is the IR-rune?

Post by Prakk »

You know, the the last one in the Fireball-spell. I'm on level 5 already and, it's getting a bit difficult... <p></p>
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Where the hell is the IR-rune?

Post by beowuuf »

Level 7, just outside the Tomb of the Firestaff, on the fireball spell scroll.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

I LOVE IT!!!

Post by cowsmanaut »

I knew it was something people would realise just how hard DM still is if you have to follow the orriginal path. Not knowing the fireball spell means that you need to depend on other things..

I think it's just so cool to see people experienceing the same cool sweat and chills down their backs because they have such handicaps..
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: I LOVE IT!!!

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, sometimes I wish I could go back and experience it all again for the first time! I still remember those early days (and nights) ducking away from the screen when an unexpected fireball was tossed towards me by a materializer! Aaah, nostalgia eh? :)
Curath
Neophyte

alternatives

Post by Curath »

Actually, if you train your characters up to artisan wizard, they're pretty capable of tossing Ee level venom (des ven), and runes you get from chest at end of level 2. Against purple worms, they seemed to work just as well as Ee level fireballs (2 of them kill). There's just the small hurdle of managing level 6, as skeletons seem near-immune to poison.

I was surprised to find out how efficient Venom was; never used it on old DM or CSB as Fireball is much quicker to click out and it "felt" more damaging. Even those venom-tossing slimethings on level 5 go down easily. Don't know about couatls, I mainly avoided the whole level. Just visited one store to get a blue gem for the riddle room on level 6.

Passing level 6 and getting to the small available area on level 7 and then proceeding to level 8 is a huge boost; you get fireball (ir), light (oh & ra), darkness (sar) and the 4 stat potions (ku, ros, dain, neta). Which means you get all the necessary runes to cast all the spells.

I think a more devious dungeon designer would leave out Ful; must use regular torches until you get Oh Ir Ra, and you wouldn't get fireball, fireshield or strength potion. Would somewhat increase the danger of black flames, knights and stone golems.
aquitaine
Neophyte

Post by aquitaine »

So if the IR rune is not available until level 7, how on earth am I supposed to get past those yellow one eye fireball chucking things on I think level 5 or 6? I just keep dying as soon as they hit me with one or two, and they keep regenerating.

I retreated to the screamer room to build up some strength before having another go.

As for followng the original path, I seem to remmeber a booklet coming with the atari version that listed all the spells anyway...
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Do you have the runes to cast a fileshield spell? (I think it's FUL BRO NETA?)

Also, be careful you're not stepping on a trigger to activate the generator, if it seems that they keep coming back, it must be somewhere near where you are.
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i would suggest DES VEN as a possible efficient spell against wizard eyes, i don't think NETA (pronounced Néta ;)) is already available..
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I think to make a Ful Bomb you have to pause the game and type "LORD LIBRASULUS SMITES THEE DOWN" :P :wink:
R.K.
Apprentice

Post by R.K. »

aquitaine wrote:So if the IR rune is not available until level 7, how on earth am I supposed to get past those yellow one eye fireball chucking things on I think level 5 or 6? I just keep dying as soon as they hit me with one or two, and they keep regenerating.
They're also much tougher in RTC DM. In the original game, they were only really dangerous from one or two squares away, and it was possible to melee a couple without needing to run away. In RTC, their spells don't decrease in power much with distance, so it's more important to fight them where you can quickly sidestep if they shoot lightning. The shield spells don't seem to protect well from them.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Teowand spellsheild should have an effect
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

ZoKathRa: No, the fireshield you find along with the fireball.

Aquitaine: Kill the wizard's eyes with DesVen poison bolts. Do not travel more than necessary in order to avoid to step to often unto the invisible respawn triggers.
Well, at least RTC does allow you to use YaBro for spell-shielding. The original game claimed such in the manual, but the potion actually only created physical shielding.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

BTW: Since finding runes is an issue only in the RTC-DM dungeon, can someone with admin access please move this to the proper forum?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.