Questions about Overriding and editing in general.

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Questions about Overriding and editing in general.

Post by Gambit37 »

I've been messing a round a bit with the override facility in version 0.07 (thanks George - a real life saver - I can actually see my new graphics in a working dungeon). I've noticed some of the things in the file that beg questioning:

For thrown items, you've specified the necessary bitmaps (side view, facing away, facing towards). How could we use this to design our own graphics for specific objects? Is there a generic 'flying' routine that can display altenate bitmaps if they're specified in the txt file? Or can we only animate those objects currently defined in the file? I'd like to be able to animate new objects in this way, but the override.txt file suggests this can't be done...

I noticed too that you've specified all the monsters for DM and CSB. However, the worm for CSB is only specified once, yet it's in the game with two different colours. How does this work, or is it not implemented?

Also, I wonder how new objects will be specified? Like for thrown items, can I specify a new object and the relevant bitmaps, and the RTC engine will know how to handle it?

I'm sure a lot of this is the last thing on your mind right now, George, but it would be much appreciated if you could give us some hints... :)
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: Questions about Overriding and editing in general.

Post by George Gilbert »

The override.txt does exactly what it suggests - just replace one bitmap (or sound) with another rather than create new things - that'll come later, and I'm not sure how it will work!

It may be along the lines of a copy and replace (i.e. you can specify a new weapon that behaves exactly like one that already exists, but with a different graphic and name. Most types of item are already done so there shouldn't be a specific need to create entirely new objects. For example a newobject.txt file might run like:

SWORD_BROADSWORD = SWORD_DELTA, "BROAD SWORD", BITMAP_BROADSWORD

meaning that the new item SWORD_BROADSWORD is exactly like Delta in all it's properties but uses a different bitmap.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I liked the look of the NewDM properties, where you defined attacks in a seperate file, and then there was a file where the three attack options and levels needed of any defined object were defined somewhere esle.

Just now it sdounds like you can't even define a new staff with different spell options, it would have to be the same as a a yew staff/wand/ etc...
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

It was only a suggestion from a 30 second thought! My point was that it would be hard to define completely new actions. There would be nothing stopping you defining a new object which can fireball, disrupt and melee. but doing stuff from scratch (e.g. 'destroy wall') would be almost impossible to write a generic scripting language for.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, sorry...and yes, I can see that trying to define totally new attacks would be a pain.
I was just thinking baout it, going 'no, but you could have each attack as a name, and a level of damage for each level of damage (blunt, sharp, etc) then i realised...oh, then you will need what stats can affect oit like strength or dexterity...
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

secondary script

Post by cowsmanaut »

you could have annother Dir that contains advanced scripts for a weapon Ie 1 script per weapon and in the items list a call from that script to the advanced script in the dir.

This advanced script could contain (this should have a template obviously) a list of stats for characters 1-4 then along the top it would show the slots for the effect. In party members hand (you would under this slot put all effects down the line that happend when someone in the party carried this thing (Ie raised 1 characters str by 2 then you edit character 1 since it would be by default the person carrying the object and each character after would read from left to right and overlap back to the left if it went over the last one)

there would also be a line for it's actions and names and what spell graphics it would require and their sequence

Annother set of lines and columns for attacks, types of damamge and effects time distortions etc. Effects on switches of all kinds (ie the zo spell this as you know flipped *all* switches or at least in DM2 it did floor triggers(only if there was a wall near it that the spell hit though), levers, and door switches)

also readings for mana/usages, levels it would effect from usage (the zo blade gave wizard levels instead of fighter levels), weight, and if it can fit through grates when thrown?

you can see why it would need to be a seperate file.