Editing saved games

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Editing saved games

Post by beowuuf »

I think that this might be a good idea to have the editor able to alter saved games too. Buuut, since the editor is actually gearing up to be a designer, how about if you have the original dungeon files, the editor can compare the saved game elements to it, and alter the files...then you can further edit this new dungeon, which would start exactly as your old game left off.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: Editing saved games

Post by George Gilbert »

Oooh - vastly complicated. I think I'll just ignore your suggestion and hope it goes away ;-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Fair enough *puts glasses and false moustache on it and prepares to post it next week*
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

Sorschana
Neophyte

Post by Sorschana »

Now, come on - I know it's massively complex but I want this ability as well! Pleeeeease?

Right now, a 'make your own adventure' startgame - for example - allows limited portrait and colour editing (love the latter, by the way) but spits your characters into the dungeon naked and unarmed. No fair.

I hope you get the chance to consider this. The game itself is really quite wonderful - I've always liked DM and was delighted to find a Windows-native version had been created.

So. Pleeeeeease. Saved game editor. I'd be very happy.

- S
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Yes, it would be a good thing, though it may be complex.

Buuut, I think this would be rather something to think about for V0.23, if it will be considered by George at all.
Except for such wishes for extra features, I think, RTC is very far developed by now, V 0.21 was already quite good, and if all the bugs reported are fixed in V0.22, I do not think the a 0.xx version beyond V0.23 should be neccesary. So even if there really won't be a V0.24 but a V1.0 instead, there is still room to add such extra features later on.
<p>Komm zur bunten Seite der Macht! </p>
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
arturus
Novice

Edit existing module

Post by arturus »

I've applied the latest patch and didn't realise that I would lose my saved game!!!
I've altered the stats of my potential party to approximately what they were on the lost saved game. When I load DM original and 'new game' I go to ressurect my characters and the stats haven't changed.
How can I change them with the editor?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Once you edited the DMorig.txt, did you then complie it?
The files you play from are the .rtc files, not the .txt files you edit. You can complie it directly using a DOS command line, or easier, espeically in XP, etc, is to enter the line COMPILE<tab>Modules/DM.txt in the config.txt file

Run RTC, it should comile your altered dungeon. Then put a ; infront of the compile line to play the game as normal

What you can also do using the editor is actually start the dungeon with a party, and edit your start position - both fro mthe pull down menus (start position is in main dungeon data)

PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

That was quite quick typing there Beowuuf... :wink:

Regards, PitD
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, are you mocking my typing skills? L: )

PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Not at all. I'm getting pretty used to it in the mean time and I don't even want to know my own mistakes - not used to re-reading my own posts ;o)
Just like "complie" a lot...

Regards, PitD
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, i make no typos!
complie = when a compiler tells you the mistake is in line x, when really it is several lines above that

*cough*

*runs*

PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

I read it first as comply Probably did not sip only tea that day... ;o)

Regards, PitD