War Cry

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

War Cry

Post by Gambit37 »

In RTC it takes significantly longer to achieve a Fighter level using war cry, than it does in DM. I reincarnated Halk and tried it - in DM, it took 40 war cries, in RTC 52. Re-incarnating Wuuf, it took 36 in DM and 49 in RTC. Does this make me exceedingly picky? ;-)

Also, the delay between each attempt of war cry is too long compared to DM. It's nearly instantaneous in DM.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

ohmigawd!

Post by cowsmanaut »

Getting a level from a war cry is stupid in itself. I think I'll go out in my back yard and go "EEEEEYYAAAAA!" oh no.. fear me. After I do that a few times I'll go down and find some big guy named Bubba and kick his ass... yeah.... right. heh heh

I don't think it should matter how many times you war cry you shouldn't get a level.. but maybe that's just me..

:)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Realism...??

Post by Gambit37 »

By the same token, a lot of other stuff in DM is pretty stupid too. It's pretty stupid that you can fit several chests in your backpack. It's pretty stupid that you can carry around many weapons on your person without breaking your back. It's pretty daft that a chest takes the same amount of space as an apple. It's silly that you can punch a Dragon to death. In DM, I can fill a chest with 60Kg worth of armour and weapons and still throw it down a corridor. I could go on....

Your response to this and other posts seem to suggest that you want a high level of realism in computer games. Is that the case? Personally, I don't care how (un)realistic a game is as long as it has been well thought out, is playable, and ultimately is FUN. Who wants to sit in front of a computer screen just to experience realism...? That's what real life is for....

The bottom line is that we're trying to help George perfect RTC as a clone of DM. In my opinion, realism isn't really the issue. :wink:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

DM stupidity

Post by cowsmanaut »

I agree on most counts there on stupid things. Like the size relation of items to how much space they take A diablo approach there would be better. The wieght of a weapon really determines if it will "break your back" or not so I think that is covered. Also the filling of a chest with heavy items relates directly to the ability to throw a certain distance. If you it get's too heavy your character will not be able to throw it as far unless he/she is very strong. Or at least as far as I remember. Punching a dragon to death.. well, sure it may be unlikely but not so much as it's not possible I kinda like the idea of laying a 'beat down' on something that big .. sort of comical to think about this big brute duking it out with a dragon.

I don't want realism, I want suspension of disbelief. The idea that this world with a little strech of imagination could exist. Emmersiveness.. Know what I mean?

Just so you know I'm nto trying to get on your case.. You just happen to post more often than others.

However there seems to be a multiple personality when people post here 1 min they argue direct specifics of DM statistics saying the are off by some small amount and then run off and suggest a big change to the game on a whole. I mean which is it.. perfect clone or something more??

I vote something more.. this is why I point out the small details of DM that don't make sence.

I simply feel that gaining levels through yelling is a particularily dumb idea in DM and so I spoke out.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: War Cry

Post by beowuuf »

To throw in my opinion, I think the idea is to start with a near perfect clone, removing only things that seem like bugs or limitations of the engine at the time (hence small discussions on 3d, changing the lighting effect, etc..am i right?). So anyone playing the RTC DM levels would have DM without too many niggling differences. All the suggestions are just brainstorming, flights of fancy or things that would be good to include in a customisable way, so that any editing and new dungeons would be totally different.

At the end of the day we are just getting very excited about the ways that it can go, when it is still Geoerge's pet project, and it's him who will add and modify what he wants to include : )
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Clarification

Post by Gambit37 »

Regarding the multiple personality thing, I would have thought by now it's quite clear that I respond in two ways on this board:

Firstly, I comment on things that don't work in RTC the way they do in DM. This is what George asked us to do, and it's what I'm doing. I don't care in this respect whether the comments refer to realistic features or not - I'm simply trying to help George make RTC a definitive clone of DM.

Secondly, further suggestions on making things substantially different from DM are exactly that: that I would like RTC to offer a large degree of flexibility in FUTURE dungeon building and customisation.

The RTC engine is being built to offer BOTH these goals, so I'll comment in both respects as and when I (a) find bugs in RTC that don't match DM or (b) think of things that would make dungeon building IN THE FUTURE more enjoyable. I hope that finally makes things clear. :)
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: Clarification

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed for V0.04