Attacking monsters go mad.

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Attacking monsters go mad.

Post by Gambit37 »

I had a problem with attacking monsters.

I was fighting a screamer that was centred on it's square, and a screamer appeared from nowhere on the same tile, but offset to one of the corners. It then took ages to kill one of the screamers (30+ chops) and then the other died relatively quickly.

I think the dust clouds that appear when a monster dies are wrong. I seem to recall that in DM a monster couldn't enter the same square until the cloud had vanished - though I may be wrong. Anyone?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Attacking monsters go mad.

Post by beowuuf »

Monsters don't seem to centre much, as they do in DM. It's very interesting and cool to have the combining/splitting teams (like EOTB2), but not the DM feel.

I think the smoke effect is too large and slow, which is why it's noticeable if monsters walk into it.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

hmmm

Post by cowsmanaut »

This would be one of those .. should it be fixed things..

Would it be unrealstic for a monster to walk into the smoke?

Should Creatures not join forces when the option presents itself?

If so.. why?

Realize that some issues with DM revolve around the limits placed on the team for the Apple IIe .. This is a new time and all those playing DM have more than likely played DM for the past long while (My manual says 1987) and know the game throughout.. A few new details as long as it doesn't kill the essence of DM should be welcome.

Be carefull before you limit. DM is already available.. I thought you wanted more.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

RTC was supposed to be a 'clone'

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, but this once again highlights the issue of "What exactly is RTC?".

George has said all along that RTC is a clone of DM. The definition of clone is "an exact copy". I personally look forward to the day when RTC becomes a fully fledged flexible engine for creating DM STYLE games, not necessarily DM itself.

Clearly George is already making RTC a flexible engine - so to offer both pure DM game play, and future flexibility is quite a tall order, and makes these arguments about features being better or worse nothing but moot points.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Semmantics

Post by cowsmanaut »

Well, a clone for a game is obviously a bit different.. How many Clones do you know that are *EXACTLY* the same as the orriginal? Not very many.. the idea really is to make it more than what it was but it still being the mostly similar game it was in the begining.

If people wanted an editable version of the orriginal they already have it.. so then would not RTC be a redundancy of sorts? Or is it that going PAST the editing of art to ambitous for the crowd?

I have not yet seen any changes that would really hurt game play in fact I think some of these changes get rid of the short commings of DM. In fact we've not gone nearly as far as DM2 yet.. Though DM2 had its *own* short commings..

Anyway, let us just say the RTC is a DM+ engine..
Zyx
DSA Master

it is possible to walk into the smoke cloud in DM

Post by Zyx »

RTC should be a perfect clone at first to recreate the DM atmosphere. Besides, several fans are very picky about it. However, I completely agree with the configurable optoins idea, which means double work for George, though.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Smoke clouds

Post by beowuuf »

When you 'chest' a monster in a monster, the second monster only drops after the smoke has cleared, while objects appear instantly...I know this was probably a dead question but it just occured to me.

So I don't think monsters could walk into the smoke.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: Smoke clouds

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed the smoke thing for V0.04

The "independent" monster thing I won't change however as I think it's better that way!