Object zones

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Object zones

Post by beowuuf »

The zone to click on objects seems to have gotten work in v0.04 - i sometimes had to click just off the gingertips to pick up things, so i was almost off screen! Torches seem to be the worst offenders for this.

The area to click on didn't seem to be consistent either, but this could be because each tile seems to have 2 -3 sub areas to lie on, I'm not sure.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Lubor Kolar
Artisan

Re: Object zones

Post by Lubor Kolar »

It is really bad - I had many problems picking up keys, apples etc. It was much better in 0.003
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

icon boxes

Post by cowsmanaut »

The invisable box that defines and object should contain the object down to the pixel. However being a box (faster than doing a mask I would imagine) some areas will be off in thin air due to the shape of the object.

Check to see exactly how it 'offends' and maybe that may help in defining how it should be fixed.

I've had problems picking things up too.. though generaly I like it to be easy to pick up rather than needing to be too precise.. I don't know if anyone else agrees with that.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: icon boxes

Post by George Gilbert »

The code *should* operate as Drake has kinda said. Namely you will pick up an object if you click inside the square box that contains the object shape (for a non square shape this will inevitably include some blank bits). However from what's being described this isn't what is happening. Can someone name a specific object which appears to be very wrong in it's "clickable" area and I'll see if I can repeat the issue and then fix it.

George
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The torch is the best example. I couldn't pick up the one ontop of the emerald key for ages..when i lay down another torch to get the exact click area, my mouse moved a nothingth off and i couldn't pick up that one for ages either!

I do remember in DM the areas were much much larger, so effectively any area of the hand pointer could be near the object and it was pick up-able. Even in earlier RTC versions the area is much smaller and meant really precise clicking - it is very distracting.

Also, there is something about the mouse checking - you can't quickly click on an object and enter the inventory - if you do it too fast you enter the inventory first. It's a tiny thing but jars as I'm used to clicking quite fast, especially if there is some monster around...
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, this is really screwed in v0.04. Keys are especially hard to pick up, particularly if they are very far forward on the tile at the lowest edge of the screen. Their hot zone appears to be off the edge of the play area which means you can't pick them up AT ALL.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed in V0.05