Monsters - possible spoilers

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Monsters - possible spoilers

Post by beowuuf »

I threw a FUL bomb at a poison slime and it didn't explode. Intentional or bug?

Also, on level 9 my damaged weapon, when thrown, has the wrong facing graphic (a backwards sword).
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Monsters - possible spoilers

Post by beowuuf »

Beholders on Level 10 seem to fire fireballs now - I didn't notice this on level 6, so wandered if it was intentional? Beholders normally just fire lightning and ZO spells.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The dragon - either a) his fire resistance is lower than it was, poison bombs are VERY powerful or he's a wimp. I froze him once with the eye of time, threw three bombs at him, plus two ven, and he died! I think the bombs are quite powerful, as they hung around for ages afterwards.

Knights - their armour isn't as good as it used to be, I managed to score three perfect 70 - 90 berserk attacks off of one so he didn'ty last long. Also, when they die they now leave a shield rather than 2 swords. And it's more of a suggestion, but any chance in reimplementing the cursed armour effect? Except actually giving it a cool effect..hehe
The graphic for a knight on the back row facing right (i assume this is mirrored for other positions) looks too tall compared to other positions.

Oitu - the first one I encountered alone in the 2 x 2 room died from one weapon hit. The rest seemed touch enough though...

Golems - not that I am complaining under the new fast attack system, but the golem seeemd to be doing less damage per blow. Before I'm sure it could reach about 200 for a nasty hit, now the most seemed 100, and less likely to do that.

In general, monsters actually had the ability to half walk backwards - they would take a backwards side step, so that they face right or left out of danger (such as a door). Now they actually turn two 90 degree turns and run. It's funny, but noticeable and seems odd ;) I allso seem to rememebr Oitus could just walk backwards...I might be wrong... they maybe just did the half turn out of danger too...

cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Monsters monsters everywhere..

Post by cowsmanaut »

Dragons in DM are severly allergic to poison so they should die easily from a ven bomb. I haven't tried to kill a dragon in RTC yet so I don't know if it's all that easier but it was really easy to begin with. (I am assuming here that you were complaining that dragons died to quickly in RTC)

anyway.. all of that aside..

Knights
cursed sword X2
cursed torso plate
cursed leg plate
cursed foot plate

As far as I remember the cursed ID caused the knights to reform if the piles of cursed stuff remained complete. if you removed just a single part of the set it wouldn't revive. I think they have less HP though after a revive.. or they should anyway..

I learned this when I had killed a knight in a sanctuary section in the knight area closed the door and when I came back to run away and heal I opened the door and found a knight waiting for me.. the knight behind me trapped me in the doorway and I was promptly killed. So I'm nearly positive about this.

Knights also (I think) seemed weaker against lightning for what ever reason but it took 20-30 lightning but closer to 50 fireballs and every other spells did zip!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh yeah, the dragomn isn't scaryily good, but i'm sure it took more that three ven bombs and a berserk or two to kill it! : )

Knights, they have high anti fire and magic...i'm sure knights die by impact damage from fireballs infact, not from the actual explosion, while the magical damage of a lightning bolt gets through more.

Hmm, what version of dm is this? Cause I have killed and left armour piles and never had anything happen...i played amiga v3.4 or earlier, and pc. I thought the cursed armour was left out of coding like rusters and dragon spit. Gambit? Can you resolve this one? The only time i have got respawning knights is in a hacked dungeon where you put number set to 1 but actually have two health boxes hightlighted in dmute! Another weak assed knight (cause usually the seond number is 1 or 0) suddenly appears when the first dies.

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

As far as I know, cursed armour does nothing in any version of DM. I have never experienced the resurrection that Drake spoke of.

You're right about the other stuff. Knights are most susceptible to lightning bolts, fireballs do virtually no damage and all other spells have no effect, except DES VEN which seems to do a small amount of damage. For years I though that OH VEN was the most effective against Knights, but it actually does nothing.

Diamond Edge, Hardcleave, Iquisitor and Delta appear to be the most effective weapons against Knights - or to give them their corect name, Animated Armours.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Just to clarify with Animated Armours: Fireballs and Lightning bolts aren't very effective at all, though the latter is better than the former. MON fireballs at best do about 5-8 points damage, MON Lightning Bolts do around 20 or so. Poison clouds have no effect whatsoever, and poison blobs do a small amount of impact damage.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

hmmm Knights..

Post by cowsmanaut »

Well, as I said I wasn't 100% on that *BUT* I think that it would be a good addition (After that first time I never left a pile intact) I was using the first version for Amiga 1.0 or was it 1.1.... anyway.. it was an earlier version than the one you mentioned and I can't see them removing it in a later version. so perhaps I'm wrong..

At any rate, I figure it could have been that the knight got in there when I wasn't paying atention or something.. not sure how.. but hey..

SO I suppose the question is here.. What does everyone think of that being the curse? It's easy enough to solve and it's a great way to kill of some newbies. >=)
piles left intact would resurect with 1/2 HP after being left alone for a certain amount of time?

any votes, agreements, ideas??

Cheers
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: hmmm Knights..

Post by Gambit37 »

I agree - it is an excellent idea, and gives a good purpose to the cursed armour. The armour should also somehow affect the party if they wear it, perhaps reducing their health over time?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think the cursed armour could act like the reverse of the fire armour in DM2, in that each part affects a totally different ability - plate reduces a fighter level by one when worn, helm affects widsom, leg plate carrying capacity (though this might be too obviously seen when put on...), foot plate dexterity and swords strength...

As for reanimation, why not...but then could you have vorpal blades disrupt and des ew spells also effect them slighty if they are 'enchanted'?

Maybe someone should repost all this on the suggestions board so it's not lost in the next round off fixes

George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed for V0.08