Killing ghosts with fireballs (0.12)

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Big-J-Q
Adept

Killing ghosts with fireballs (0.12)

Post by Big-J-Q »

I was playing the original_dm.rtc with arch-Iaido (doesn't crash anymore!), I threw a MON-fireball at a ghost. It hit the wall behind the ghost, but the ghost was destroyed!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: Killing ghosts with fireballs (0.12)

Post by George Gilbert »

This is actually the behaviour in DM and it was a previous 'bug' that RTC didn't kill them!

Ghosts recieve about 1% of the intended damage from explosions; if they only have a couple of points of health to start with a full power one can kill them. It's a matter of debate as to whether this 'feature' should be removed or not.
Lubor Kolar
Artisan

Post by Lubor Kolar »

I think it is a good idea to get damage from eplosions or nearby tiles. But I think it's a bit unfair if monsters DO get damage from fireball exploding on the next tile but party DON'T.

I think only spells like fireball and lightning bolt should cause damage from explosion.
Big-J-Q
Adept

Explosions

Post by Big-J-Q »

But the explosion occured on the same tile as the ghost. I think if something stands on a tile NEXT to explosion, nothing gets damaged.

But if the explosion occurs on the same tile as the monster/party, pain will be experienced.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think it was a bug that explosions caused general damage that could harm anything...I think it should be changed so that explosions, etc cause the same type of damage that they did, so non-corps would be immune
Maybe explosive spells also do 1% blunt damage too, so that it is still possible to get harmed in an explosion for things that otherwise would be immune to fire, etc
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

I'm with you beowolf on this one. I changed the code to let ghosts get damaged (as is the case in DM) against my better judgement. The more I think about it the more I believe that the effect in DM is a bug so I will probably remove it in the next version unless there are any violent objections...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yup, it does seem silly that they take damage in DM.... I agree with you George and beowuuf. What about black flames absorbing fireballs though - I haven't played that far yet, so can't tell if it's been implemented...

In DM, they absorbed fireballs and that was it - nothing else. However, in the CSB hint oracle it suggests that Black Flames actually get stronger when they absorb fireballs, but I have yet to test this out. I'll check it, if it helps.....?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

If you could check DM with some judiscious use of DMute or something that would be great. I can tell yoiu what RTC does (read "is supposed to do"!).

Every spell should pass through the flame except DesEw and Fireball. DesEws cause damage; Fireballs cause negative damage (i.e. a fireball that should do 100 points of damage will *increase* a flames health by 100 points). Note that the fireball actually explodes when it hits the flame as if it was hitting an "ordinary" monster; this is because, believe it or not, it's actually harder to make it not explode...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Black Flame 'negative' damage

Post by Gambit37 »

I have just checked this in Amiga CSB and PC DM using DMute, and discovered that the behaviour is <b> <i> the same</i></b> in both DM and CSB. The reason I hadn't noticed before is that when I compiled the damage chart from PC DM, I had set all the creatures to have 1000 HP. Guess what.... the DM engine won't allow a Black Flame's health to go above 1000...

Casting a LO fireball at the black flame adds approx 5 points of health, whilst a MON fireball adds approx 10 points. The variation either side seems only to be between 1 to 3 points, so the amounts added are pretty low. You therefore might want to reduce the amounts you've set in RTC.... :wink:

Is there no way you can <b> not</b> create an explosion for this.... it's nice for the fireball to disappear with no effect, causing the player to wonder what happened...
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed for V0.13