FORUMS BACK ON-LINE; READ FOR DETAILS OF CHANGES >>>

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

FORUMS BACK ON-LINE; READ FOR DETAILS OF CHANGES >>>

Post by Gambit37 »

The forums are back on-line, much sooner than expected (I decided to do the work all in one go, it's about 18 hours work all together). Changes to note:

1) All the posts from the RTC ezBoard forums have been merged and are available again

2) Users with multiple IDs have had all their posts consolidated, and their post totals modified accordingly. Some of you will have significant numbers of new posts which will reflect in your new rank :-)

3) Old users from the ezBoard forums who haven't yet registered here are identified with the prefix EZ_

4) A warning is now visible on the front page telling new users what to do if they want to continue using their old ezBoard ID

5) Error messages that could not be read because they displayed black-on-black have been fixed

6) The font for the topic posts has been changed to sans-serif to be easier to read (in my opinion). If you have problems with the new font, please let me know. I've also modified the stylesheet so that alternate posts within the topic use the same lighter background colour; I found that the darker colour made the text difficult to read. There are other minor changes here and there too...

7) The check for empty posts has been removed, which should hopefully fix the posting problems for WebTV users. Please let me know if this is not the case.

If you have problems logging in, please delete your browsers cache and delete your cookies; you must have remembered your password to login again!

Have fun with the new, improved forums! Goodbye ezBoard, hello phpBB!
Last edited by Gambit37 on Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Very nice work, Gambit. Thanks again!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Odd, I don't notice a difference in the font. Perhaps I've done something weird to override it.

Anyway, awesome job Gambit. I knew you were the right man for the job. This more than makes up for your procrastination on the DM Codex ;) Though I'm still impatiently waiting for the realse ;)

moo
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Definitely!

Post by beowuuf »

Superb work, in half the time you said...great by anyone's standards ; )
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Glad you all approve. Even though it was quite time consuming, I quite enjoyed it, especially as it taught me a lot about SQL syntax, which I still hadn't learnt properly. I've only been looking at PHP and SQL off and on for 2-3 weeks but I'm getting in to it quite well; i's very powerful and much nicer than hand-coding individual pages.... probably boring you all now...
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

To avoid double posting: See my reply at http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 7&start=15

It's good to have all information in one place again!
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Welcome back! If you've made it here then it means that all the messages and re-routing should have worked, and you are now reading the shiny new, exactly the same, dungeon-master.com forums!

Nothing extra to report for now, except to say that the re-routing message on the existing forums is a quick fix by hacking the phpBB code and once you're happy that everything is working here Cowsmanaut, I recommend deleting the old phpBB and simply putting up a basic HTML page with the re-route info on it.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*waves* well that redirect does indeed see mto work, so all is good
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yes all is good with the world.

As i said I will keep it up a week to give everyone else a chance to catch up with their own links and bookmarks then the entire thing goes. The subsection of the www.cgfiles.com will be deleted as I'm no long paying for that section.

Although technically it's still sorta there.. it's not seen as there. It's now it's own place though physically on the same server.. I dunno.. and I certainl don't get it. However, supposedly that's how it works.

moo :shock:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually, I'm not gettign the red indicators on new posts...could be a one off....
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hmm... same here; no new posts indicators. Bugger; that means something broke, which could take a while to isolate and fix. I will do my best...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I'm getting them.. on this thread at least. And have been since it was moved. And in fact, this appears to be the only new post since the move. Perhaps people didn't catch on as I had hoped? Or is this just some down time?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

It works fine for me too since the move to the new domain name.
This thread is the only one with new posts since then...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It seems to be fine again...maybe it was an unrelated incident with that post

Gambit, you seeing the red again?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, I'm getting them too... which is cool 'cos I had no idea how to fix it! I did run some optimisations on the database, but don't think that made any difference. Also, I'ce deleted all the "Moved;" shadow topics (but not the topics they point to), so that's tidied up the forums a bit.

I don't like mess. :evil:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Gotta love it when things work themselves out by themselves : )

And thatnks for deleting all the shadow topic! There were quite a few around, weren't there...