Which forums should be here?

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

any news on this?

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Finally got in touch with Ian and he's given me his login details. I've discovered that it's the polls that are screwing up the conversion, so I have to go through the entire board and move them all to an unused forum. We won't be able to save them. I doubt anyone really cares... ;)

I feel that there's no point bringing over either the ADMIN forums or the GENERAL DISCUSSION forum; there's really nothing of interest in ther worth saving. I've also looked at the ARCHIVE (the posts from the old Unofficial Dm BBS that Beowuuf saved) and it's quite a mess, but with some useful stuff.

I'm going to convert all this to my local phpBB, and do the pruning and tidying this week. Sometime next week, I'll then merge the data with dungeon-master.com. Quite a big job this time because of all the multiple user IDs and stuff. It'll probably take a few days, so just letting you know in advance.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Have run in to a massive problem: the converter script doesn't save posts that were made by non-registered users. Unfortunately, MOST of the posts on Ian's boards are like this, and ALL of the posts in the Archive forum are like this because Beowuuf had to create the poster names himself.

I'll have a look at the php code and see if there's an easy way of updating it to manage poster-less posts, but if not, what should I do:

1) Go ahead with the conversion anyway, but potentially lose the most interesting info
2) Not even bother and keep ian's forums open.

????
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I wish you good luck, Gambit, your task is huge but worth it. The archive part is important to me, as I sometime check some post and memories.
By the way, does anybody here remember Francis Petronella, remember his dungeon and his ideas? It is too bad that he left the community and never released his dungeon...
Anybody has news about him?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well if not, we could convert and lose.. however, it should be that someone go through and see what was lost and if it's important. If it is.. then simply compile the info into a single post, at least as far as DMUTE is concerned. Beyond that there is little that is going to be missed right?

As I said before, other than the DMUTE section the rest seems to be just random conversation and nearly all of it from last year or earlier.

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I might actually do it manually by making a fresh, local database, and creating all the posts from scratch. Although it's quite a big job, and will take a few weeks, it means I can prune out the crap as I go and it will later be easier to merge with these forums here as I can control the user details. The only issue is post dates; I'll see if I can work something out.

I also noticed that Christophe mentioned on his forums about bringing all that over here as well, but that he'd have to keep the uploads forums there as well. If those forums come here, we really will have the definitive Dungeon Master meeting place, but I wonder if the added users will start adversely affecting bandwidth? I wonder too if we can easily create an ulpoads area on this forum.

In fact, perhaps Cow, a fully integrated site might be a good idea here, with everything available from the main domain. I know the phpBB software quite well now, and we could integrate a full navigator to other parts of the site when you get them up and running. Lots of possibilities, just thinking out loud at the moment...
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

i think it would be a nice idea to include the encyclopedia-forums here, too ;)
for ian's forum, i used 3 different nicknames there (only 1 of them registered, which is amber37, the others are guest and amber). maybe you can use unregistered nicks, too, if not, id really appreciate your work to create a new database (this sounds like a HUGE amout of work^^).
but having the whole forum-community here would be worth the efford, id say (i hope you think so, too, because i fear i cant help you too much if any).
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I've decided to take this approach to combining Ian's forums

1) Create a new category within Cow's forums, and a new messageboard for each of Ian's messageboards.
2) Lock these new messageboards to everyone except admins
3) Manually (and possibly also using the converter script) copy all the posts from Ians forums to the temporary forums over here. This'll be a long job, but I can do it at my leisure (!). I intend to post under non-registered names, and to do some clever stuff to ensure that post dates reflect the original dates they were posted (as closely as possible).
4) Once everything is brought across, I'll take a copy of the entire database and work on it locally, to consolidate all the posts with their relevant registered posters. This'll take a few evenings, and is the only time that Cow's forums need to go offline.
5) When that's all done, I'll upload the entire revised database, with everything in it (minus any really obviously useless crap)

It does mean that the index page for these forums will grow for a few weeks, but I don't think that's a problem. If no-one objects to this, then I'll start over the next few days.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Well, stuff all that, it ain't gonna work, so I'm just going to take my time to do it all locally, then I'll merge the databases again like I did the last time. Give me a couple of weeks to sort this.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Wow, you are a machine.. that's a massive job!

so about bandwidth and storage. what is it you are suggesting? I know there will be more hits to the forum but hit's alone wont do much and some posting here and there won't be a big deal either. However, you were suggesting uploads?

What would they be uploading? Maps? Graphics? Music? Sound samples?

That could start to get intense and then I have to keep a serious eye on things since the moment I go over.. this site goes down. I also have to keep an eye out for uploads that do not fall into the category of relevant material. I don't want people uploading warez or movies etc..

Means more active security and that uploads need to be checked first before being able to be accessed by the public.

moo..
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Gambit, did you think about programming your own converter?
If you can't, or don't want to try, but you know exactly the format of a file you could use to upload to your database, then send me the old posts and the file format specifications and I'll write a converter.
Did you think about putting everything in an excel sheet ,database III, or Microsoft Access document and then import it into your database?
just suggesting, I don't know what are exactly your problems of conversion.
Also, if you end up with a "manually data entry" solution, then you could divide the task and share it with the people who is posting there, so each of us could enter, say, 50 threads...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, I have considered that. I haven't yet looked at the converter script in detail, but I'm sure it must be simple enough to modify it. I'm going to try that first.

There's not a format as such because the data has to populate the phpBB database in various different tables. It's only a bunch of SQL commands at the end of the day, but seeing as the comverter is already there, there's little point in starting another one from scratch.

I'll do some tests over the weekend and see what I come up with.

AS for the manual option, it has to be managed very carefully, and it would be more trouble than it's worth to try and manage lots of different remote users on this kind of task. I'd rather do it in one go so that I can keep it all under control; yes, I'm making more work for myself but I think it's simpler in the long run.

@Cow, the uploads that I was referring to are just the things currently on the Encyclopedia: maps and utility programs. I'm going to explore uploads in PHP/MySQL to see if it's straightforward or not and report back.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I agree that it would be great to have all forums here, even the upload forums.

But I see two reasons for not doing that too quickly:

1) As bandwidth is limited here (it is not on my site), I suggest that we wait until all forums are migrated here (except uploads) and wait a few weeks/months to see the general amount of traffic and ensure that it is far under the quota (thus allowing enough uploads/downloads).
I dont want to come here some day and see a message telling me I have to wait for 3 weeks until I can browse the forum again because a stupid guy deliberately consumed all the bandwidth by uploading and downloading files...

2) Allowing users to upload files can lead to serious security issues, so it has to be VERY carefully configured, and there are often security holes discovered in forum software (Phorum and phpBB are no exceptions).
Users uploading HTML, PHP code or programs, permissions to set on folders on the server, ... There are many things to check, especially if this site becomes THE place to go, lots of people will come and may try to hack things.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Yeah, I can even for that matter, set up an alternate site for uploads and downloads. I can easily get one with 20megs and 1 gig transfer. This way it would even be seperate from the main site thus preventing them from accessing the main areas of the forum.

moo
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Back again

Post by beowuuf »

@Zyx - hi,. glad to see you are back, and not just passing through : )
I remember francis as he and yourself seemed to be doign the bulk of te hex work when i first started posting. I thought he released soemthing, like a CSB for amiga saved game...or was the adder...