new URL

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

new URL

Post by cowsmanaut »

Hi all,

I'm debating getting a new URL. Right now I'm sharing the CGFiles one but as I'm told I get more controll if I switch to my own. Nothing else really changes except we get a new name and I lose 20 bucks. ;)

However, I'm discussing with Gambit about the benefits of that new power. I'll still have a gig of traffic and 100megs space. It will still be located on the same server. But I get my own FTP and URL. this means for Gambit full controll. Since right now the main SQLadmin and PHPAdmin stuff is in the root of CGFiles. A place I have no access to and to which the owner of the site would rather not allow anyone else access to.

So, I'm saying I have no issues with the $20. I would like to know though, if anyone here has any issues with the change of name. I just checked and Dungeonmaster.com is still available. I can register it tonight or tomorrow. and have everything still set up.

I figured it might be worth asking the community about this. Also Admins, it may also mean than in the new future you could also have a Myname@Dungeonmaster.com email. is that cool or what ;) yeah, not really I know since you all have dmcodex, and ragingmole, and dmjump, zpc, etc.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

An easier to remember name! H*ll no, we won't go *banner*

If you have no issues with changing, I think its a great idea
Another dm related e-mail address kicks ass too : )

I say go with it if you aren't being put out by it - is this a 20 once a year fee or once a month?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

20 per year for the URL/FTP, plus 5 per month for the space and bandwidth.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sounds good!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Will reply to your email tomorrow, but just a quick note to say that dungeonmaster.com is NOT available. In fact the only TLDs available for that name are the .tv and the .me.uk.

If you want a .com, it'll have to be something else... :(
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Gah, I hate when people take a name then never friggen use it. bloody morons.

well, I did a proper check this time and found that dungeon-master.com is free.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Ive got no problem with a name change, just let us know what it is and when it becomes active?
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Note: posting here instead of replying to your email, so everyone can see:

Well, I wouldn't go to such lengths if it's ONLY so that we(me?) can do on-line changes to the database. Although it would be useful from my point of view, it's probably overkill for such stuff.

However, if you're intending to make more of this space, and are prepared to pay for it, then it would make sense as you could move your current site over to the new space and integrate the forums more fully. It would also be a good place to host stuff like RTC fan made dungeons and even on-line documentation for RTC, such as Andyboy_UK is producing.

It's also worth noting that phpBB can be integrated very nicely into existing PHP/mySQL sites (if that's your bag) as this screen shot proves :)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/matt_hill/dmcodexBB.jpg

So I'd say, go ahead if you will make use of the space for other stuff and don't mind the cost, but I wouldn't bother if it's only to give us direct access to the database.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

That looks seriously nice gambit, me wants :) ..

Have Messaged you matey.
Regards,

Andy
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Seems to be good IMHO. If neccessary we can share the cost, so it will be almost nothing for everyone interested (long live PayPal).

And: I'm not an Admin, but can I have a Lunever at Dungeon-Master dot com eMail-Adress too, pleeeeeaaaase? :-D
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I swear I answered this but it vanished.

Anyway, www.dungeon-master.com is mine. Got it this morning.

Issue number one.

I have 100 megs of space and 1gig of traffice per every $5 US I pay per month. For every email I add I need to section off however many megs per email address I make. Right now it's set up so I can make 100 emails. Should be plenty.

Now, I'm willing to give one to each of the moderators as part of the deal for them helping out. The issue really comes down to if I made them a max load of 1 meg each.. 100 emails would be all the space and there would be no room for the board without increasing for $5 more per month to get 200megs space and 2gigs traffic.

So I could always set up donations through paypal to help me keep this going, or I could be asking $1 per email/month from people and as I get more people paying I could simply add to the services here and pay for additional goodies. I don't know what those would be but it's an option, orrrrr... I could pay out of my own pocket and slowly go broke. :)

Depending on how many people want them.. if it's like maybe 1-10 people. This may not even be an issue.

Anyway, thoughts?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

so it's up.. active. And it even has a neato 404.. wanna see it? just for any html page that obviously is not there . Ie www.dungeon-master.com/moo.html

Not much else to see yet. I need Gambit's help to drag the forums over there. I need to decide what else should be done there. Should there be a front page? Links to archives? main link to these forums. anything else?

moo
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

lol, one of the best 404-pages ive ever seen :lol:
i think you should make a portal-page there with some links, including one to the forum. or you simply link the forum, which has its own links^^good question...i see, im no help ;)
oh, and i dont really need an email-address.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It means don't drink from the water?

I think if you set up people who don't have an e-mail address they mind being used as a contact for DM stuff, then can sort out other people who just think its a cool later : )

And is there anything wrong with putting your own site front page as the portal here too? It's simple with cool bold links. Adjust the forum link (which is at the top anyway) to direct it to the forum, and everythign else still points to chaos site until you move that over too : )
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Hey gambit.. I think you deleted my 404 image. :( It doesn't show up anymore.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Odd, i can still see the 404 error pages...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I haven't touched anything to do with the 404... are you sure you've saved it in the correct place? It's probably looking for a relative path for the image.

If that doesn't make sense, I'll take a look for you.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well I had saved it in the wrong place the first time and left it there. Then figured out where it was supposed to be afterwards and saved it there. Then just left the other one. So I wasn't sure if you saw two copies and deleted the one you thought wasn't needed.

The page itself shows up.. just not the graphic.

moo
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

ok.. really weird. If I download the picture.. it then shows up. I can see it. It's there.. but .. (shrug) something screwy.

moo
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Speaking of weird today somehthing is decideing to cache the pages i have viewed opreviosuly so i have to reresh everything to see the new posts and reply to them
Our work set up isn't that complex to ahev a dedicated internet server, and IE shouldn't be doing it either on this machine

Anyone else havign this problem?
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Everythings alright from here. have you got any sort of proxy in between youre machines and the internet?

Also (although Unlikley) you're ISP might have something caching the pages for you?
Regards,

Andy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It doesn't normally, and no proxy...ah well, just odd...