To Admins and Moderators: Old links to CGFiles.com

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Equus / ZPC
Big head, big heart

To Admins and Moderators: Old links to CGFiles.com

Post by Equus / ZPC »

Hi folks,
I have noticed that in many forums are your posts (mainly sticky) with links to cgfiles.com forums.
As far as I am aware, all of the forums were transfered here, so it would be nice to correct the links.

Other thing is to gambit and moo - why to keep forums on cgfiles.com? It's bit confusing, isn't it?

Take care

Equus / ZPC
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Ive checked the only forum that I can moderate for any sticky topics with links, but I cant see any in there at a glance.

I would say that you should be able to replace the domain name with www.dungeon-master.com/ and put the rest of the link in and it should work.

Cows is really teh only person who can answer this as he may have had to move the site to another host when he registered the domain name.

Hope that helps,
Regards,

Andy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hosting through a different filespace, i believe, that was why he wanted to move (more control over the forum)
I've started to alter al lthe links I've noticed, fingers crossed I'm not messign anything up (windows is being slow so can't open all the links I've changed right away to test them)

As you pointed out, you can alter the posts in RTC Editing if you are of a mind and see anything obvious : )
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Will have more time to check tomorrow. But There are no stikcy topics in there at the moment. I just had a quick glance, Will check properly later on. :)
Regards,

Andy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Eh, its ok i stopped being lazy and did it anyway - its just a case of watching out for the sneaky links in normal posts that point to the old site : )
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

we are keeping only the notice up on cgfiles. It will be taken down soon. It was there to make sure others were aware of the change and for those who run websites to have time to change their links as well. The point to keep the rest of the files there is so that should something bad happen nd we lose anything it would still be backed up somewhere.

However, now that some time has passed and no big problems I imagine it's safe. I'll be removing the CGfiles link on friday. It will cease to exist.

moo
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Hmm, that means, that every moderator has to browse through all posts to replace old links with new ones? Of course I'll do this, but not before asking whether we can just retain a redirect or whether there is some possibility to automatize this process for the entire site (Gambit?).
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Should be straightforward using SQL commands directly on the database. I'll check it out and see what I come up with.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Ok, tell me, if it's not possible, I'll do my part of the forum then manually.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I don't think anyone should go out of there way for old posts, but any posts that are replied to and have links should get corrected
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Fuzzdog: Sure, but if it can be done for the entire site by automatizing this process, that would be certainly the best solution.