Mega-CD version of Dungeon Master II

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
steveb
Novice

Mega-CD version of Dungeon Master II

Post by steveb »

I bought the Mega-CD version of Dungeon Master II about a week ago from a car-boot sale for £2.50 and I've been playing it since. It's actually not a bad version of DMII although I can see why some people aren't keen on it. One thing I noticed in the Mega-CD version that isn't in either the PC or Amiga versions is the interesting lighting effects. One corner of a room where there is no torch is distinctly darker than the other side of the room where there is a torch. And when you open a door in a dark area it lights up with the light from the other room. I was quite impressed by this and it seems to add a little bit more to the overall realism. One thing that is missing from the Mega-CD version is the stop-gap in-between the step movements. The Mega-CD version goes back to the original DM ways for this. Best of all though is the music in certain areas. I think it really enhances the atmoshpere greatly and would have worked really well on the Amiga version. I think It's worth getting it just so you can here the music as it's quite a good score. Very DM style music. One downside is that the game is pretty slow at responding which starts to get quite annoying after a while. Oh well, can't have everything. Playing on the joypad also makes the game twice as hard to play when you're used to a quick and easy mouse. Trying to create a spell while being attacked by a monster then trying to move and thrust with a sword at it is quite scary when played with a joypad as you have to be that much quicker. Preparing your spells early also helps when played with the joypad. For all those people who complain that DM2 is too easy, just try playing the Mega-CD version with a joypad! It's a bit more of a challenge. I've finished now :oops: )
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Mega-CD version of Dungeon Master II

Post by beowuuf »

DM with a joypad? Yupe, that sounds like a challenge..well done for copleteing it like that! I've notiuced the lighting effects in the PC version too, right from the start (light the fire in whatsisface's house and you find the light spills and doesn't quite reach certaim areas)...maybe it just insn't as pronounced?

I'd be interested to see the no stop gap movement, i'm finding it a pain in combat to work out where the hell somone is...ah well...
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
steveb
Novice

Re: Mega-CD version of Dungeon Master II

Post by steveb »

I haven't played the PC version of Dungeon Master 2, only the Amiga and Mega-CD versions. The lighting effect definitely isn't in the Amiga version though which is a bit of a shame. As I said though the music is really great in places and it's a pity it's not on the Amiga version. When I said "I've finished now" I meant I had finished with my little rant about DM2 not that I had finished the game (I wish), I've only just started! I never even finished the Amiga version, I got stuck somewhere. I'll try and complete the Mega-CD version though. :)
steveb
Novice

Looks like I was wrong

Post by steveb »

"The lighting effect definitely isn't in the Amiga version though which is a bit of a shame"

Doh. What was I talking about. I've been playing Dungeon Master II AGA on WinUAE and it DOES have the same type of lighting effects that only fill corners of the room with a torch or fireplace! I guess I didn't notice it before. Just thought I'd correct myself there. :)

Steve B

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”