Dmute & dos??

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
isamu
Apprentice

Dmute & dos??

Post by isamu »

Can Dmute be ran from dos? I tried loading it after a session of DM playing, but it says this program cannot be run in ms-dos mode. I want to be able to edit my dungeon and apply the changes quickly without going into Windows. What's the best way to do this? Perhaps running it from the floopy?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Dmute & dos??

Post by Gambit37 »

No. It's a Windows only program - Windows must be running to run DMUTE.

I can run DM fine in Windows just by clicking it's icon, and I leave DMUTE running in the background while testing the dungeon. I don't get sound but that's not important for testing. Why don't you just do that? Note that you'll crash Dungeon Master if you edit a saved game that it's currently using, so you need to exit and restart DM each time you make changes to your dungeon in DMUTE.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

DM and windows

Post by beowuuf »

Since I'm editing a saved game, I too play test my dungeon, and have DM running in the background while editing (or vice versa) using alt-tab. I never seem to have your saved game prob though - i can easily save my dmgame while running dmute, or save the newer game, which will run normally the next time i kill myself and restart the game. The only trouble i have is if i Save As... to my dmsave - the game plays with the original version of the saved game, i have to actually then click Save on dmute to force dm to recognise the new one.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: DM and windows

Post by Gambit37 »

Trust me - if you use DMUTE to overwrite a saved game that DM is currently using you <b> will</b> eventually either crash DM or destroy your save game file. DM keeps the current save game in memory and checks it against the version on the disc. Although it will allow you to play the saved game for a while, it <b> will</b> screw up sooner or later... it's happened to me often enough which is why I don't use this method anymore. Much safer to quit and restart DM when making changes using DMUTE.
isamu
Apprentice

---------

Post by isamu »

"The only trouble i have is if i Save As... to my dmsave - the game plays with the original version of the saved game, i have to actually then click Save on dmute to force dm to recognise the new one."
--------

Heh, I just noticed that too. You have to make a back up file BEFORE loading it into dmute because if you try to make a back up of your save using dmute by "save as", DM won't recognize it. Seems DM only recognizes a save game that's ONLY called "dsmsave". So I guess the best thing to do is make a folder with different names and put your saves in that until your ready to use them. That way you don't get confused and edit the wrong one. Regarding dos dmute, perhaps in the next beta. No big deal. I new I could edit and run both in windows, just it'd be kinda cool to do it in dos since that way I'd have sound :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

No DMUTE for DOS

Post by Gambit37 »

Um, DMUTE won't ever be ported to DOS... What would be the point? George would have to program a mouse/GUI interface, and all kinds of other things to get it to work. It won't happen as it's twice as much work.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Saving

Post by beowuuf »

Thanks Chaos, I'll keep that in mind. I guess the differences between my changed game and used game are small at the moment, and so I've gotten away with it. I have had situations where the loading screen has hung and crashed DM,but I always put that down to a bad edit of the dungeon.

In reply to DOS editors - weren't there more simple DOS DM editors kicking around years ago? MAybe nothing as powerful as Dmute, but maybe enough to map out levels first with simple items, then use Dmute after...
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”