DMute user questions

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Seeker19
Apprentice

DMute user questions

Post by Seeker19 »

So, I have a few questions about using DMute and achieving certain effects. Hopefully they are simple questions (where I'm overlooking something obvious), but they're not things that I've seen browsing through the archived messages.

As I am not currently using an emulator, all questions refer to editing Dungeon Master levels for the PC version using Dmute 1.3.

1. How does one put items in a chest in DMute?

2. How does one put items in an alcove in DMute?

3. Why is N/S and E/W rotated 90 degrees from the 'normal' orientation (i.e. North is towards the top)?

4. How does one 'put' items in the mirrors in the Hall of Champions, and further, how do you determine where in the inventory they appear?

- Seeker19
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Answers

Post by beowuuf »

1. The 'chesting' of objects should have been in a post from George. This method will also work for giving objects to monsters (same two bytes are altered).

a) Place all the items on a blank floor tile
b) Press 'z' on this tile, and note the last two numbers given (bytes 7 and 8)
c) Change the leftmost bottom number (3rd byte) to '20', and bytes 7 and 8 to 'fe ff'.
d) Press ok - the image of the objects will disappear next time the screen refreshes, and it will be an ordinary floor tile again.
d) Hex edit (press h and the item number) the chest you want to fill. Change bytes 3 and 4 (the leftmost bottom numbers) to the values you noted earlier. Press ok

The chest (or monster) should now have all the previous objects listed as their contents. Note you can 'chest' monsters in monsters using this method too, where a dead monster will drop another.

2. + 4. Adding an item to the wall tile that an alcove or mirror is on, and turning the object to face the same direction, will have the desired effect. The characters inventory sems to determine where to put these objetcs, there is no way I know of to edit this with DMute.

3. Zyx said something about the dungeon.dat file saving map levels rotated as you have noted...maybe he can shed more light.

Hope that is of some help
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”