New Graphics Demo - dead link

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

New Graphics Demo - dead link

Post by cowsmanaut »

hey there folks! the following URL is the place where I'm storing the Graphics I'm working on. I'm in the middle of updating some of it so it doesn't all match up yet but you can go look at it anyway if you like.

<a href="http://tony.object1.com/DM/">tony.object1.com/DM/</a>

I'll post updates as often as possible .. just check the txt for what changes have been made. I'll try to provide things in sets so that you need not download everything. each time just to get a few pictures.

enjoy
Drake
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Too dark...

Post by Gambit37 »

Looking good. However, the walls and floors are VERY dark and this means that objects don't shade correctly - everything in the distance looks too bright. It also means that light spells won't even make a lot of difference. Everything starts dark and just gets darker. :wink: Will you be changing this? I personally feel you should as It doesn't feel like DM when it's that dark.

Other than that, well done on getting this thing started!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

I agree with Gambit

Post by beowuuf »

The wall colour makes everything seem too dark, even at full light, and so for me doesn't 'feel right'. Otherwise seems good - the graphics really come into their own with the smaller res setting, and I like the far away skeleton graphic, even if it is a glitch atm : )
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

darkness and other things.

Post by cowsmanaut »

The darkness .. hmm I could lighten it up a bit more. I'm trying to make it a more realistic lighting. I suppose however that I could lighten the images more and still retain that. One big detail with the mirrors and other wall objects is that they are lightened by the code and not ahead of time. This is something I took up with George since the lighting in DM is a little odd and when drawing the walls you do not know ahead of time exactly what the objects will look like on them untill you are in the game.. the wall need to be retouched again and again in order to *try* to match up with the wall objects.. So instead what would be better is to be able to change the way things are darkened by the program to match your walls. Anyway, untill that is implimented they'll always seem a little off..

As for the Skeleton it was designed for a lower resolution and I've not yet redrawn him in a 640x480 mode yet.. but i put him in anyway to see how he looked against the stone walls. also to see how he moved and such. Monsters are not as high on my list as the walls and wall items so look forward to seeing the changes there and not the baddies.

Thank you for your feed back and keep it up.. I'm working on a page with Tony to make it a bit more attractive and usefull there. I hope that will be done soon as well.

Cheers! :)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

UPDATE!!

Post by cowsmanaut »

Hi there everyone,

I've updated the webpage and started once again from scratch on the walls. I need to make a major change on the side walls still (the stones are still too close together) but I have lightened the dungeon graphics to match more closely the DM ones. You'll notice the wall objects like the mirror will be closer shading at the correct levels.

For those of you who have already grabbed the graphics once just grab the walls as there have been no other updates.

A few parts of the First page may not work yet so hang on 'till I can figure out that part of it. Cheers

Drake
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: UPDATE!!

Post by Gambit37 »

Drake, I've also been messing around with some new wall graphics for RTC, and have noticed that George's engine has a few problems with flipping and the ALT graphics. There's also some issues with the amount of graphics required for each object so that it looks corect at all angles. Have you noticed this too?

I'll let George know in more detail - I've already told him once, and he doesn't feel it needs changing - but I think a few modifications would make it easier for designers to create better seamless textures.

If you know what I'm talking about, do you have any thoughts on the matter?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

I know..

Post by cowsmanaut »

Check your mail. I don't know that people want to hear the boring details I've gone into about the discussed graphics structure..
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Update

Post by cowsmanaut »

I have an update to the Graphics of the dungeon but the FTP is down for some reason.. If anyone wants the update send me an email and I'll send it off to ya.

Drake@paralynx.com

I've added a bunch of new stuff but most of it is not yet complete (I basically need to touch it up for seams and shading/colour matching) included in the bundle is a new image of the Syra Portait which I'm rather proud of.

Cheers.