About the CRPG site(pontiac) and the REAL RPG SITE("rpg

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ParuNexus
Adept

About the CRPG site(pontiac) and the REAL RPG SITE("rpg

Post by ParuNexus »

here is a opy of the mail i got from him well one of the messages... I checked and low and behold... he was right, and not surprisingly the site that Pontiac made closed down when this guy said he was closing the shared folders. sldso note that i editedo ut the isp\email addy becuase i didn't ask if it was ok to post this. I'll post his site url in another message.
Received: from regulus.blazenet.net ([24.104.0.39]) by shared1-mail.whowhere.com; Tue Jul 11 14:33:21 2000 Received: from nnn.nnn (ip132.59.blca.blazenet.net [24.104.59.132])by regulus.blazenet.net (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id RAA25764for ; Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:40:14 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <396B92A0.460A6F76@nnn.nnn> Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:33:20 -0400 From: larry miller Add to Address Book Add To Spam Block List X-Sender: "larry miller" (Unverified) X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en]C-CCK-MCD {Susquehanna Communications} (Win95; I) X-Accept-Language: en,zh,fr,de,it,ja,pl,ru,es Mime-Version: 1.0 To: Gamer Genie Metroid Subject: DM Manual Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sure You can Upload it [and whatever you want to contribute to the site]To my Site From The Menu Link... He Stole My Links,Pics,And Most Of My Game Descriptions!! I Took All Games Off My Shared Folder So Nobody Can Leech Them For Short Time, So These Sites That Are Stealing Game Links From Me Will Get No Traffic If All Thier Links Are Dead........And Soon Give Up I Hope

RpgMaster
+MD Pontiac

Post by +MD Pontiac »

This is all crud. Anyone who posted on my old message board with their email address would have got an email from this Larry claiming they were his games. The truth is the games were not mine, but the guy allowed me to link to them. We used to be friends. Used to be. He allowed me to link to them because he did not want to create a site. He was not bothered with all the HTML and that. It was a good deal because I have a slow modem and he has a cable modem, plus I wanted to create an RPG site. But, after he saw how well my site was doing he suddenly wanted to do another site all by himself. Hence he kindly decided to change the password hence deny my visitors access to the games. Not nice, as it took me AGES to create all the HTML and suddenly all my work was for nothing!
I'm sure as anyone who knows me will tell you I'm not that sort of a guy. There is no point to linking to someone's games without their consent. If I wanted to though, I could link to hundreds of games right now because I know of tons of different game sites. But why would I bother? It's not as if it would make me any money or anything...
But it wasn't that big a deal really - I kept getting complaints about how slow the Freediskspace service was downloading anyway. It isn't HTML, it isn't FTP, it's some weird method which seems to download at only a quarter of a modems usual speed! It also frequently stopped at 90% of a files download, which means you've waited ages and the download freezes and you get nothing! Very annoying :-) I was about to stop linking to the games anyway because of that, so I gave that as a reason for the games no longer being available on my site. Sorry about that, but I was annoyed at the time and didn't really want to go into the long-winded truth. Anyway, if I were you Dmologist, the last place I'd upload that DM CD music to is Freediskspace! I've been told www.driveway.com is the best place for online file storage.
But it's all water under the bridge now. I just wanted to clear this up once and for all. By the way, keep up the good work with the new site Ian! And you too Christophe! I'm sure everyone here will agree with me that www.dmweb.cjb.net is gonna be the next new home of DM fans, and http://dmweb.free.fr is the another one of the best information resources for Dungeon Master and CSB out there! Damn, you wouldn't believe DM still had so many dedicated fans around the world unless you saw it!
ParuNexus
Adept

Post by ParuNexus »

sorry about all that. I don't know who started what first so the only real thing i had to go on was that he controlled the freediskspace acounts.
my stake in al lthis is that I don't want to willingly help anyone copying someone else's work.
at any rate i found his site and it is gone, Which reminds me i never thought aobut Ian's and the other DM related websites. I perosnally was only looking for a better means to share this, after i get rid of hte conscience of "making illegal copies" i normally try to help anyone who might want it.
right now i'm sitll riping a few cd's(non game) then look into these tihngs again like freediskspace or whatever.
+MD Pontiac

Post by +MD Pontiac »

No problems, I can see how it may have looked without knowing who to believe.
Yeah, perhaps Ian or other DM related webmasters may be able to help. They would be a good place to upload something Dungeon Master specific because it's really only fans of Dungeon Master who would be into the music.
If they can't and you're left with a last resort, I'd recommend as I said before www.driveway.com as an alternative to Freediskspace. It's much the same thing, except I've heard better things about it!